2024 Stanley Cup Final - Edmonton vs Florida

53 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Matthew Tkachuk referencing Okposo’s speech/leadership made earlier today during his on ice interview was interesting.  

It seemed clear he was a complimentary piece in a Panthers room that already had great leadership.  It’s too bad Buffalo couldn’t figure out KO needed leadership help with this team. Instead Adams surrounded him with the youngest team in hockey the last two years and we got what we got. 

23.5 year old average age teams do not win cups.  The problem with KA’s plan.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

23.5 year old average age teams do not win cups.  The problem with KA’s plan.  

But 26.5 year old average age teams probably on occassion do win Stanley Cups.  '27 could be a very good year for the Sabres.  (Provided everybody hasn't been axed before then resetting the timeline once again.)

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Taro T said:

But 26.5 year old average age teams probably on occassion do win Stanley Cups.  '27 could be a very good year for the Sabres.  (Provided everybody hasn't been axed before then resetting the timeline once again.)

Terry Pegula : Hold my beer.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I don’t get Maurice saying he wishes for the Jets to win the next Stanley cup. 

Is he retiring? Even if he was..wouldn’t he want his panthers to repeat? 

odd 

League diplomacy.

Maybe he wants an upper management role in Winnipeg? 

Florida is likely one and done though. It's hard to repeat period, but they are going to have trouble keeping the band together with their cap. 

7 hours ago, pastajoe said:

A player who doesn’t lead their team to the championship is not the most valuable player. They could have lost with or without him. But Florida would not have won without the playoff performance Bobrovsky had.

The problem a lot of people have with any MVP selection is that it's not about the final game or final series but the work as a whole over the period of time. While Bobrovsky was exceptional at times he was also pulled from a game after letting in 5. He wasn't his team's MVP on that night.

McDavid didn't get it done in Game 7. Just because that was the deciding game should not necessarily detract from his overall performance.

Ultimately, in looking at the games each of those players played from Game 1 of the First Round through Game 7 of the last round, the PWHA voted McDavid. He did break a Finals record for assists. At one point I think I saw a stat somewhere around Game 5 that he had 10 points in the OIlers last 15 goals. That's a pretty impressive stat.

Now, I don't love that McDavid was selected, but when I look at Bobrovsky I think his terrible performances in Games 4,5,6 are what took him down a notch. There was no one else on Florida who was more deserving. There's certainly no one on Edmonton more deserving.

It makes for good debate and good debate keeps the NHL relevant.

• Like (+1) 1

Im fully willing to admit Im not happy Okposo won a cup. He is symbolic of everything that’s been wrong with this franchise. From his bust of a big money contract to his inability to contribute when we needed him most. Great that Florida needed a guy on their team to give big speeches. The Sabres needed a skilled hockey player. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's interesting but not surprising that a happy moment is being used to fuel frustration and vitriol on SabreSpace. 

And you would have been happy for Evander Kane?

• Thanks (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Bitter ***** who still think it's the players in Buffalo, not the management. 

You and others should stop making personal attacks. Oh they're just bitter and unhappy people. It weakens your argument.

• Vomit 1

9 hours ago, OverPowerYou said:

McDavid was on the ice for what seemed the whole 3rd period. He played out of his mind. Didn’t even look gassed 

Say what?   The entire Oilers team was completely gassed for the last two minutes of the game.  Knoblach probably overplayed his top players in the 3rd period, they pulled their goalie too late, and they had nothing left for a final push.  

Florida had a fresh Evan Rodrigues out there for the last minute and he dogged the puck excellently.  Talk about a guy that plays smart hockey and knows his role on a team.  Rodrigues came up big in many ways, 7 goals and 14 points, and he was out there to finish the game in a defensive role.  

But I must say that Knoblach overall did a fine job, he just asked a bit too much of his top players in the 3rd.   

Great game.  I did not expect the Oilers to have so much grit and compete.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

He's the face of the franchise get your ass out there thank your fans and say congratulations to Florida

The fans chanting F McDavid? Those fans? The ones yelling it loud enough they cut the broadcast sound? Are those the fans you want McDavid to come out in front of?

54 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Are you really going to Baby the players? 

Never said that. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Well, this should sum up the MVP argument.  16 of 17 first place votes for McDavid means lots of people saw the same thing.  McDavid is special, even if he didn't score in the last 2 games, he was a force the entire playoff.  I can understand the argument for picking a  player on the winning team since it is extremely rare to see this result, but every season is different. 

Reflecting back on it and listening to their coach talk about it, Florida must really have some great internal leadership that extends beyond who wears the C and the A's.   

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The fans chanting F McDavid? Those fans? The ones yelling it loud enough they cut the broadcast sound? Are those the fans you want McDavid to come out in front of?

Never said that. 

He should be man enough to come out and say thank you to his fans that came all the way out there to watch him just saying he looks like sore loser.