2024 Stanley Cup Final - Edmonton vs Florida

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Expect Maurice believes he can regulate Okposo's ice time enough to make sure he doesn't get caught out against McDavid much, if at all. 

Having home ice, expect that Maurice sees the smarter play trying to have the slow W with a wealth of experience eat enough minutes to keep the other 3 lines fresh enough without him getting caught out against McDavid rather than trying to have the quicker more physical Cousins in the game because of the possibility of him taking a bad penalty now that the Euler PP has come back to life in games 4 & 5 particularly.

Betting he wishes Zito found a guy a little bit better than Okposo at the deadline at this point, but you don't get a do over and he sees Opkoso being his best fit at the 12 slot with the game being at home.  If the Eulers were hosting this one, expect that Cousins would get the nod again like he did last game.

The Oilers acquired Henrique at the deadline, who at 34 years old and played 82 games, scored 24 goals and 51 points for the season,  plus 3 goals in the playoffs.  The old man can still play, he always was a pretty solid two way player.  Would like to see him get a cup. 

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The Oilers acquired Henrique at the deadline, who at 34 years old and played 82 games, scored 24 goals and 51 points for the season,  plus 3 goals in the playoffs.  The old man can still play, he always was a pretty solid two way player.  Would like to see him get a cup. 

Well, Florida didn't have a 1st available until 2026, so Henrique was not an option for them.  But surely Maurice would rather have added him to the lineup than Okposo.  There just was no realistic way to do it.

Personally, would rather see the Cats win than the Eulers tonight, but won't be all that upset if it goes the other way.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, French Collection said:

He was in for the game 4&5 losses. He hasn’t been a factor and the Oilers are skating circles around him.

Lomberg and Cousins had no impact either hence this move. 
Probably his last NHL game.

For games 4&5, the rest of the team took the first two periods off. Hardly an indictment of KO. FFS, I'm not even a KO fan, just being fair with what I have observed.

28 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, Florida didn't have a 1st available until 2026, so Henrique was not an option for them.  But surely Maurice would rather have added him to the lineup than Okposo.  There just was no realistic way to do it.

Personally, would rather see the Cats win than the Eulers tonight, but won't be all that upset if it goes the other way.

I just read that Maurice is going with Kyle tonight.  Good luck to him.  

38 minutes ago, Mr Peabody said:

Florida announcer said Okie the best spoken man in the locker room and has the respect of the team.  Said he wouldn’t be surprised if Okie gave the pregame speech. (Paraphrasing).

Interesting, as some here will have you believe that all the good really teams have great captains.  

17 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Are you saying Okposo was a great captain here?

I do not think he was great captain here, but do not think he was a poor one either. 

I am saying that often we  equate having a great captain and having a great team as synonymous.  Timing is also a factor. 

To see that Okposo has generated that much respect in Florida, as the above information conveys, tells me that he deserves the respect he gets in Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 3

I am curious if there is a shift in tact, like wrinkles in the systems the coaches have seen to exploit. I always also get curious if there are nuances to the actual home ice, like it's choppier to slow down EDM and little things that can be gotten away with. 

I mean, this is it, last game of the season, cup on the line. I'd like to think that there has to be something more than just putting KO back in the lineup

5 hours ago, K-9 said:

Edmonton outplayed Florida for long stretches in those first three games as well, but Bobrovsky was the difference. He hasn’t looked the same since. 

Agree. All part and parcel to their meteoric evolution. They stuck to it. Then the levee broke.

Frankly, I'd be quite surprised if they didn't finish tonight.

This may be the most fun series I've seen since the Penguins/Redwings cup finals for me. This has been a blast! I'm rooting for all our ex Sabres and Paul Maurice on 1 team and McDavid/Draisatle and the Oilers if they win but FU Evander kane (sorry that dude is garbage which means he'll surely get a hatrick now lol).

Edited by GoPuckYourself