2024 Stanley Cup Final - Edmonton vs Florida

32 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think Paul Coffey is getting enough credit. The Edmonton D has managed to adapt fairly well to the Florida forecheck and they are getting the puck out fast. They are the first team to manage that in this playoffs and it's made all the difference. I have to figure Coffey has a hand in that as an assistant. 

100% on the bolded.  So far. 

And they have a ridiculous PK, barring any major collapse it will be the most historic PK percentage since they started keeping the Stat in the playoffs.

The FLA PP is absolutley brutal, it's amazing to me that it can look so bad, its slower than watching our guys. 

I cannot see the Panthers winning at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

And they have a ridiculous PK, barring any major collapse it will be the most historic PK percentage since they started keeping the Stat in the playoffs.

The FLA PP is absolutley brutal, it's amazing to me that it can look so bad, its slower than watching our guys. 

I can’t believe how aggressive they are, there was one time yesterday when a puck at the blue line was 50/50 and the other 3 Oilers started cheating forward. The 4 on 1 never materialized but it was crazy to watch.

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

and this is where I get to do one of my favorite things and critique Reinhart 🙂

He is their PP scorer around the net and he is not getting it done like he did in the regular season. Huge drop off in Florida scoring from him and Tkachuk. ERod should not be their top scorer in this round and yet I think he still is. 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think Paul Coffey is getting enough credit. The Edmonton D has managed to adapt fairly well to the Florida forecheck and they are getting the puck out fast. They are the first team to manage that in this playoffs and it's made all the difference. I have to figure Coffey has a hand in that as an assistant. 

It’s an underrated skill by the general public and why I’m not upset at all by the concept of adding Byram to Power and Dahlin.

Now we need to add forwards who can actually keep the puck in the other end.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

It’s an underrated skill by the general public and why I’m not upset at all by the concept of adding Byram to Power and Dahlin.

The current issue being it’s indeed a concept, not only until the forwards are addressed, but disappointingly also maybe because of what we’ve seen from Byram re: his ability to contribute said skill 

He’s one of the reasons currently the puck gets stuck in OUR end 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The current issue being it’s indeed a concept, not only until the forwards are addressed, but disappointingly also maybe because of what we’ve seen from Byram re: his ability to contribute said skill 

He’s one of the reasons currently the puck gets stuck in OUR end 

Fair comment given how he finished the season in Buffalo.

From what I’ve seen of him prior to the trade - and indeed the first half-dozen games after it - he’s better than that.

I think we bought low (not that Mitts was cheap, just that Byram’s stock was probably at its lowest point since his draft). 

He’s a talent. Defencemen picked that high are usually very safe bets over the long run.

But not always. It was a high-risk, high-reward swing for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Fair comment given how he finished the season in Buffalo.

From what I’ve seen of him prior to the trade - and indeed the first half-dozen games after it - he’s better than that.

I think we bought low (not that Mitts was cheap, just that Byram’s stock was probably at its lowest point since his draft). 

He’s a talent. Defencemen picked that high are usually very safe bets over the long run.

But not always. It was a high-risk, high-reward swing for sure.

“Over the long run” seems a conflict of interest, too

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Getting it out quickly and up ice is indeed a strategy, but you have to balance that with having some degree of control around your own net. That's the area we really lack right now, as well as losing puck battles, as you indicated in the second sentence. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

“Over the long run” seems a conflict of interest, too

Don’t think this is where you’re going with that, but I was talking about highly-drafted defencemen in general, not Byram in particular.

More to your point, Byram is not a prospect and it’s not just about the long run.

I look at Byram kinda like I look at Power, in the sense that even though I expect them to get better, I still think they are skilled enough and experienced enough that they should be good right now.

Byram is 17 months older, but he’s got 72 points in 164 games with very little power play time. Power has 71 points in 163 NHL games with very little power play time.

Byram also played 20 minutes a night for the Stanley Cup champions and led that team in possession #s at the highest level of competition in the NHL. We know he can play and play well.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Don’t think this is where you’re going with that, but I was talking about highly-drafted defencemen in general, not Byram in particular.

More to your point, Byram is not a prospect and it’s not just about the long run.

I look at Byram kinda like I look at Power, in the sense that even though I expect them to get better, I still think they are skilled enough and experienced enough that they should be good right now.

Byram is 17 months older, but he’s got 72 points in 164 games with very little power play time. Power has 71 points in 163 NHL games with very little power play time.

Byram also played 20 minutes a night for the Stanley Cup champions and led that team in possession #s at the highest level of competition in the NHL. We know he can play and play well.

It would be asinine to write off his ability to return to that level, and it would also be a mistake to lower the height very much of what’s still an even higher ceiling.

No, I don’t think his ceiling is Duncan Keith, first ballot hall of famer, who hockey news named the 26th best defenceman ever, (heck I’d settle for the 26th defenceman today, a bonafide 1st pair D), but he definitely has a skill set that screams all star potential, if things really clicked.

there’s so much more that goes into it though, as we all know. He could just be this 

It’s not a BAD gamble, it’s just assuredly a gamble 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

I don't really care who wins but I'd prefer Florida because:

1. I don't want to hear about McDavid all next season.

2. I do not want to hear about "the genius of Ken Holland."

3. Corey Perry does not deserve another cup to end his career.

4. Evander Kane does not deserve a cup, period.

5. I don't really care one way or the other about Okposo getting one (or Montour for that matter), it would be slightly annoying for Reinhart to win after Eichel, but ERod I'd be happy for. 

6. Lastly, it's a copycat league and I'd just like to see more Florida next year than Edmonton style wise. That's a personal preference obviously. 

But really whatever. After Monday there's only one winner and it's on to what we do for next season and I sure hope Adams does something.

• Like (+1) 2

Was rooting for Florida to start off with..... but after watching the last 3 ho hum effort by them, i hope EDM kicks their ass in their own building and all the Florida fans squint and cry like Reinhart on the bench...LOL I just want this season over with so we can move on to the next one!!! 

• Vomit 1

I just saw this on social media. 

Connor McDavid's 42 playoff points this year put him in 7th for the entire Sabres season. If he can get 4 points he would tie Skinner for 6th. 5 points would tie him with Cozens for 5th. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, stinky finger said:

Blame it on the evolution of EDM right before our eyes.

I didn't think they were capable of this.

Edmonton outplayed Florida for long stretches in those first three games as well, but Bobrovsky was the difference. He hasn’t looked the same since. 

19 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

This is a good move. I'm sure there's some superstition to it, like McJesus wearing the same suit. However, KO was doing some truly veteran things during a lot of his shifts. Nothing flashy, just smart, vet-minded things like going east-west across the blue line with the puck, and dumping it in after the rest of his line and the D changed. Small little things, the likes of which Florida has needed since game 4.

Edited by ...
a monkey types metter than be some days
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, ... said:

This is a good move. I'm sure there's some superstition to it, like McJesus wearing the same suit. However, KO was doing some truly veteran things during a lot of his shifts. Nothing flashy, just smart, vet-minded things like going east-west across the blue line with the puck, and dumping it in after the rest of his line and the D changed. Small little things, the likes of which Florida has needed since game 4.

He was in for the game 4&5 losses. He hasn’t been a factor and the Oilers are skating circles around him.

Lomberg and Cousins had no impact either hence this move. 
Probably his last NHL game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

He was in for the game 4&5 losses. He hasn’t been a factor and the Oilers are skating circles around him.

Lomberg and Cousins had no impact either hence this move. 
Probably his last NHL game.

Expect Maurice believes he can regulate Okposo's ice time enough to make sure he doesn't get caught out against McDavid much, if at all. 

Having home ice, expect that Maurice sees the smarter play trying to have the slow W with a wealth of experience eat enough minutes to keep the other 3 lines fresh enough without him getting caught out against McDavid rather than trying to have the quicker more physical Cousins in the game because of the possibility of him taking a bad penalty now that the Euler PP has come back to life in games 4 & 5 particularly.

Betting he wishes Zito found a guy a little bit better than Okposo at the deadline at this point, but you don't get a do over and he sees Opkoso being his best fit at the 12 slot with the game being at home.  If the Eulers were hosting this one, expect that Cousins would get the nod again like he did last game.

• Like (+1) 1