2024 Stanley Cup Final - Edmonton vs Florida

There’s a weird thing up here about wanting a Canadian team to win.

But I’ve noticed the people who express that are by and large the less hardcore fans.

The hardcore fans here like Edmonton and Calgary like Buffalo likes Bill Belichik. And I think it’s the same for other Canadian cities and their neighbours.

And, of course, all non-Ontarians are united in their hatred of the Leafs and their fans’ centre-of-the-universe attitudes.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

There’s a weird thing up here about wanting a Canadian team to win.

But I’ve noticed the people who express that are by and large the less hardcore fans.

The hardcore fans here like Edmonton and Calgary like Buffalo likes Bill Belichik. And I think it’s the same for other Canadian cities and their neighbours.

And, of course, all non-Ontarians are united in their hatred of the Leafs and their fans’ centre-of-the-universe attitudes.

Thing is, there's something oddly zen about the last Canadian SC winner being the Habs having pretty much their very last hurrah (don't count the weird Covid season where they got smoked by the Bolts as that was the only good playoff team they faced that run) and in a year that they needed OT to win ~2/3's of their 16W's and them beating Canada's literal golden haired boy who had just moved 4 years prior to LA LA land with the series turning on an illegal stick used by the goon that was sent to LA along with the golden haired boy to be his on-ice body guard.  (Wtf did McSorley of all people need an illegal stick?  He wouldn't have scored with a banana stick like from a jai alai game.)

So many wild story lines all converged in that series back in '93.  (Including LA needing a minor miracle to get past Canada's other original 6 team the round prior.)

Eventually another Canadian based team will win the SC.  It might even happen this year, but personally doubt it unless the refs call the series EXTREMELY tightly giving McDavid and crew the PPs they'll likely need to be regularly getting pucks past Bobrovsky.  But it'll be sad to have all that was the '93 playoffs fade from memory.  (AND had either LaFontaine not been broken in the last game against the B's OR had Muckler been smart enough to play a healthy Hasek against the Habs rather than Fuhr with a bad knee; then it might've been Buffalo's year.  Which would put the last Canadian team to have won the SC back to the '90 Eulers.)

Well, with Knoblock taking a cheap shot at the BILLS, all I can say is 

FÚÇĶ EDMONTON!!!! 

May his big mouth curse Canada's teams with futility for ANOTHER decade (or two, or thee) 

The pŕïĉk!!!! 🤬🤬🤬

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

The old saying "that's why they play the games"...even though we all thought Dallas would easily beat the Oil things happen. Like winning a game on two power play goials and only having 10 shots on goal! Oh and Florida plays agreeively and tends to tak epenalites which will spell doom for them. The Oilers PP is downright scary... 

11 hours ago, clink said:

Well, with Knoblock taking a cheap shot at the BILLS, all I can say is 

FÚÇĶ EDMONTON!!!! 

May his big mouth curse Canada's teams with futility for ANOTHER decade (or two, or thee) 

The pŕïĉk!!!! 🤬🤬🤬

McDermott has officially challenged Knoblock to a wrestling match.   Winner takes all. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Remember if you want a jersey to buy it now because they are about to be trash

"Fanatics is expected to start producing their own jerseys in time for 2026-27."

Edited by LGR4GM

I need a deep-dive Ringer article or something on how Fanatics came to be as dominant (?) as it is because that company -- and substantially everything it does -- is absolute garbage. I've had 3 or 4 experiences with them -- every one of them was, at best, a retail failure. At worst? The experience was utterly maddening. People talk about the quality of their goods being poor, which is true! All I can say is that their customer service is somehow worse -- way worse.

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

I need a deep-dive Ringer article or something on how Fanatics came to be as dominant (?) as it is because that company -- and substantially everything it does -- is absolute garbage. I've had 3 or 4 experiences with them -- every one of them was, at best, a retail failure. At worst? The experience was utterly maddening. People talk about the quality of their goods being poor, which is true! All I can say is that their customer service is somehow worse -- way worse.

My guess? They produce super low quality crap because it is cheap. They used the savings to bid high on these contracts with sports leagues who also see a bump in profit because Fanatics is smart enough to give them some of that cheap savings goodness. Sports leagues are run by morons for the most part who only think in dollars and cents so they see the increased profit on a fanatics jersey over an adidas one and think, WIN! Of course the market could dictate otherwise, at some point quality matters more than price and I know I specifically just bought a jersey because I won't buy fanatics anything. 

In the end it is basically NHL, MLB etc... saying "what are fans going to do? more money for us" and fanatics being like "yea dog!" 

My go to brand for hockey stuff is 47 brand apparel. They always make a good quality product and their shirts and sweaters are awesome. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Remember if you want a jersey to buy it now because they are about to be trash

"Fanatics is expected to start producing their own jerseys in time for 2026-27."

Yeah, knowing the league was switching to Fanatics starting next season was on a bit of a binge this year.  Have pretty much everything we'd hoped to get (including 1 not worn yet which is kind of going to be this coming season's "new" sweater) except they didn't do a jersey for the Dyngus Day game (which was actually on Dyngus Day's version of Boxing Day, being celebrated the day after DD); had a player all picked out for that one and that sweater would've been SHARP but alas, it wasn't available.  Oh well, should one of those come out this year, could possibly buy a Fanatics jersey, but if not don't see any more jersey purchases for quite a while.

I have a hard time phatoming a team that got 10 SOG in a game at this point of the season, has any realistic chance against a team that has basically out shot everyone along the way; has the better goalie, and looks primed and healthy at this point of the season. 

Unless the Oil are on the PP 25 minutes a game, this may end up being a very quick finals. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I have a hard time phatoming a team that got 10 SOG in a game at this point of the season, has any realistic chance against a team that has basically out shot everyone along the way; has the better goalie, and looks primed and healthy at this point of the season. 

Unless the Oil are on the PP 25 minutes a game, this may end up being a very quick finals. 

I’d say they have a chance simply for the reasons you already outlined: it’s a formula they’ve followed to success thus far. It could theoretically continue

On the other hand, the nhl famously often has a team go on a magical run to the finals as more or an underdog before everything catches up to them: so I could see the Oilers falling apart too. It’s not easily predictable IMO

10 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Individual games can take on a life of their own. The Oilers have outshot their opponents in 13 of 18 games in the playoffs. They aren’t a “score a couple PP goals and hang on” team.  

• Thanks (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

I’d say they have a chance simply for the reasons you already outlined: it’s a formula they’ve followed to success thus far. It could theoretically continue

On the other hand, the nhl famously often has a team go on a magical run to the finals as more or an underdog before everything catches up to them: so I could see the Oilers falling apart too. It’s not easily predictable IMO

The Oilers were a pre-season cup favourite. Only the Panthers have won more playoff rounds in the last 3 playoffs (7-6) than the Oilers. They have two of the top five players in the world, an elite offensive d-man and a deep bench of players in their prime. I don’t get the Cinderella-Team narrative that is popping up here and there. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'll be rooting for the Oil but expect the Cats to win the series. 

I'd like to see McDavid and Draisatl get their name on the Cup and the folks in Edmonton just appreciate it so much more than folks in Miami. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Demoted said:

Panthers aren't in Miami

Yes, true. The distance from Miami City Hall to The Panthers Arena is about 41 miles.  Roughly the same as Batavia Downs to Buffalo City Hall.

The fair comparable is that the Miami Heat play in Miami at Kaseya Center.  They are called Miami whereas the Panthers simply go with Florida.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Yes, true. The distance from Miami City Hall to The Panthers Arena is about 41 miles.  Roughly the same as Batavia Downs to Buffalo City Hall.

The fair comparable is that the Miami Heat play in Miami at Kaseya Center.  They are called Miami whereas the Panthers simply go with Florida.

Yup.  Sunrise for all intents and purposes is a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale.  It's far closer to that than it is to Miami.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/5/2024 at 11:03 AM, LGR4GM said:

My guess? They produce super low quality crap because it is cheap. They used the savings to bid high on these contracts with sports leagues who also see a bump in profit because Fanatics is smart enough to give them some of that cheap savings goodness. Sports leagues are run by morons for the most part who only think in dollars and cents so they see the increased profit on a fanatics jersey over an adidas one and think, WIN! Of course the market could dictate otherwise, at some point quality matters more than price and I know I specifically just bought a jersey because I won't buy fanatics anything. 

In the end it is basically NHL, MLB etc... saying "what are fans going to do? more money for us" and fanatics being like "yea dog!" 

My go to brand for hockey stuff is 47 brand apparel. They always make a good quality product and their shirts and sweaters are awesome. 

Well... *****.