2024 Stanley Cup Final - Edmonton vs Florida

On 6/13/2024 at 10:00 PM, K-9 said:

As great as Barkov and the rest of the Panther skaters may be, the difference in this series is Bobrovsky, full stop. He is the leading contender for the Conn Smythe to this point of the series.

Uh-oh. 

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I expected a win from the home team but 8-1 ouch. Was Florida a no show? I hope the Oil didn't unlock some weakness in the D of the Panthers. 

No show to an extent, but more just everything that could go wrong for the Swamp Cats did.

Nurse initially gets a 5 minute penalty for kneeing Bennett which gets reduced to a 2 minute minor.  Point man for the Cats hits the post on the PP and Reinhart pounces on the rebound and bounces it off the same post and though the crease.  Later that same PP the F at the point makes a poor decision to win a race to a loose puck in the high slot creating a 2 on 1 with Montour the Cat dropping back.  No biggie, right?  Except when Montour goes flat to take away the pass to the far side F, his momentum takes him right back into Bobrovsky who winds up behind the goal line to the left of the net tangled up w/ Monty.  Puck goes back in front and it's an easy goal for the Eulers.

That initial goal was a microcosm of the entire game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

No show to an extent, but more just everything that could go wrong for the Swamp Cats did.

Nurse initially gets a 5 minute penalty for kneeing Bennett which gets reduced to a 2 minute minor.  Point man for the Cats hits the post on the PP and Reinhart pounces on the rebound and bounces it off the same post and though the crease.  Later that same PP the F at the point makes a poor decision to win a race to a loose puck in the high slot creating a 2 on 1 with Montour the Cat dropping back.  No biggie, right?  Except when Montour goes flat to take away the pass to the far side F, his momentum takes him right back into Bobrovsky who winds up behind the goal line to the left of the net tangled up w/ Monty.  Puck goes back in front and it's an easy goal for the Eulers.

It was clear by the middle of the second the Panthers' bench had already given up on the game. 

2 hours ago, Night Train said:

That aged well. 

It was accurate at the time I posted it. Kind of like saying "Uncle Joe looks to be in good shape" two years before he dies of a heart attack.

• Agree 1

Seen this so many times over the years. Loser team has that one good game but everything goes into it and they blow out the eventual winner who usually bounces back because the score run up like that just wakes them up for the next game. Next game should be low score and full shutdown and likely Florida ends it unless Edmonton gets lucky in some way. 

On 6/16/2024 at 9:06 AM, Taro T said:

The Cats had some bad luck, and they made mistakes (Montour played that goal all wrong), and they got swept up by the emption of the crowd. 

Oiler's avoided the sweep by finally finishing on some plays and getting some good fortune too. 

Panthers will need to play more physical at home to turn this around and finish them off.  The Oilers are getting away with some borderline hits.  I am surprised by the Oilers, they are much more physical than I thought.  

I enjoy JFresh's content.

But if #fancystats are extolling McDavid's performance in the SCF, then they don't square with the eye test, IMO.

From where I sit (and watch most of the games) and excepting the Game 4 blowout, McDavid has not been able to step forward and assert himself in the way that the Oilers need(ed) him to.

I concluded a while ago that he's injured -- something seems to be inhibiting his shot (a core injury? a wrist injury?).

On 6/16/2024 at 1:10 PM, Buffalonill said:

McDavid is no Gretzky tell me when he actually takes over and dominates and this series is over anyway

Beside His game 4 that whopping 3 points in 3 games sure is Gretzky level 

To be fair, that’s points on 3 of the 4 oiler goals before game 4. And Gretzky had a much much better supporting cast than McDavid ever has. 6 other hall of famers on those oilers teams compared to McDavid only having Draisaitl.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.