2024 Stanley Cup Final - Edmonton vs Florida

28 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I realize size doesn't always equate that's why I said I want power forwards, who already have that in their DNA. Some of the guys I'd like from the Panthers who don't fit the mold are Ryan Lomberg (only 5'9"), Nick Cousins (5'11") and the only guy that does is Sam Bennett at 6'1". I know we have bigger players currently on the roster I was basically meaning our prospect pool (which I know some are over 6'0") but again I don't see any element of a power forward/grit/physicality in Rosen, Östlund or Savoie but I do see small bits in Kulich. A whole team of guys that are nightmares to play against is what I've wanted since I can remember.

Anton Wahlberg is 6'3" and plays a power game. The other issue is that since Buffalo is so young, there isn't any room for prospects and shouldn't be in the top 9 for a hot bit. Tage, Cozens, Quinn, Tuch, and JJP all are either physically big or play with a physical edge. Benson is in this mix too but not quite yet. Greenway for now is also there and big with some snarl. I guess my point is I don't really care about the prospect pool as much because there are so many guys in Buffalo who are 23 or younger and have elements of what you want in their games. Tage might be the most finesse one out of the guys I listed. Do they need to up their grit/physicality/motor, in general yes. But I don't really spare any thoughts about Savoie, Rosen, Östlund in terms of if they can bring that since at this stage, we could trade all 3 and it wouldn't do much to our prospect pool other than thin it out a bit. None of those 3 necessarily have to hit or play prominent roles for Buffalo is my end point. 

I will say that Helenius, Iginla, and Stiga all intrigue me in the draft because they have some of that battle I think you want and each could be available at 11 or 43 (Stiga)

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Anton Wahlberg is 6'3" and plays a power game. The other issue is that since Buffalo is so young, there isn't any room for prospects and shouldn't be in the top 9 for a hot bit. Tage, Cozens, Quinn, Tuch, and JJP all are either physically big or play with a physical edge. Benson is in this mix too but not quite yet. Greenway for now is also there and big with some snarl. I guess my point is I don't really care about the prospect pool as much because there are so many guys in Buffalo who are 23 or younger and have elements of what you want in their games. Tage might be the most finesse one out of the guys I listed. Do they need to up their grit/physicality/motor, in general yes. But I don't really spare any thoughts about Savoie, Rosen, Östlund in terms of if they can bring that since at this stage, we could trade all 3 and it wouldn't do much to our prospect pool other than thin it out a bit. None of those 3 necessarily have to hit or play prominent roles for Buffalo is my end point. 

I will say that Helenius, Iginla, and Stiga all intrigue me in the draft because they have some of that battle I think you want and each could be available at 11 or 43 (Stiga)

I'll agree to disagree here, in no way shape or form is anyone going to convince me that JJP, Thompson, Quinn bring any of what I'm talking about. Tage sometimes brings it but it's not enough, same with Tuch but the others offer really none of that imo. The guys who bring that almost every game is Greenway, Benson and Cozens but we need it throughout the lineups on each line again imo. 

12 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I'll agree to disagree here, in no way shape or form is anyone going to convince me that JJP, Thompson, Quinn bring any of what I'm talking about. Tage sometimes brings it but it's not enough, same with Tuch but the others offer really none of that imo. The guys who bring that almost every game is Greenway, Benson and Cozens but we need it throughout the lineups on each line again imo. 

I will disagree with Quinn being included here as I think he very much engages physically. 

29 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Greenway most certainly does not. I can't opine on Quinn. Tage never brings the grit.

Benson, maybe Cozens and Robinson of the forward group bring "the right kind" of grit. Dahlin, Clifton, and Samuelsson of the defense bring it.

We have a long way to go if we're going to match what we're seeing in these SCFs.

9 minutes ago, ... said:

Greenway most certainly does not. I can't opine on Quinn. Tage never brings the grit.

Benson, maybe Cozens and Robinson of the forward group bring "the right kind" of grit. Dahlin, Clifton, and Samuelsson of the defense bring it.

We have a long way to go if we're going to match what we're seeing in these SCFs.

I guess we can all pretty much agree on 1 thing. We have a long way to go to match what we’re seeing in the SCF. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Does anyone think EDM has any realistic chance of coming back and winning 4 in a row against FLA? 

Short answer, No.

Something to think about...Twice in their 3 previous series  this entire playoffs, they won 3 in a row at one point.  They were done 2 games to 1 to Dallas and won 3 in a row to close it out.  They were tied 1-1 with L.A. and won 3 in a row to close it out.

They did have an 8 game win streak in late November/early December.

They also had that 16 game win streak (16 in a row!) in January.

Now, there were some lesser teams in those streaks of course.

In my opinion they outplayed Florida for much of the last game. So again, do I think they will do it? Nope I don't. But mathematically the odds of any NHL team beating another 4 in a row are 1-in-16.  I'd give Edmonton better odds than that (maybe 1 in 10 or 1 in 8?)

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Grit not size, please. Size is a nice compliment with grit, but size alone ain’t cutting it (ask my wife).

Buffalo’s grittiest player (you choose) pales wildly to FL least considered gritty guy. 

EDM is just the latest example. Having the GOAT (hate that term) and several other decorated skill guys, they just can’t get out of their own way in this series and rendered almost useless thus far. 

Sabres are too soft as currently constructed. They need to go out and get it. Big off-season as we all know. 

1 minute ago, stinky finger said:

Grit not size, please. Size is a nice compliment with grit, but size alone ain’t cutting it (ask my wife).

Buffalo’s grittiest player (you choose) pales wildly to FL least considered gritty guy. 

EDM is just the latest example. Having the GOAT (hate that term) and several other decorated skill guys, they just can’t get out of their own way in this series and rendered almost useless thus far. 

Sabres are too soft as currently constructed. They need to go out and get it. Big off-season as we all know. 

Lol, no they don't. 

26 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Only if Florida’s bus rolls over on the way to the rink.

I was thinking about this last night: if they go out for a team dinner, better select the restaurant very wisely.

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Poltapov will be here in a year.  Definitely built for playoff hockey 

I hope people always complaining about the Sabres not hitting are watching  Panthers play hockey.   They are gritty but aren't out there running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to hit people.  They don't get out of position needlessly, they fight for every puck battle and protect the house with determination / bravery.  That's winning hockey.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

What was not talked about enough... That last minute or so, FLA took that puck to the boards and smothered it. The only better way to close it out is to score the empty net. I could not imagine the Sabres keep thing the puck against the wall like that for 10 seconds let's alone 45. Wanna shut down McJesus and Dirty Drai... Sign Bobvrosky and get gritty guys that can make a living in the corners. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

I hope people always complaining about the Sabres not hitting are watching  Panthers play hockey.   They are gritty but aren't out there running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to hit people.  They don't get out of position needlessly, they fight for every puck battle and protect the house with determination / bravery.  That's winning hockey.  

Precisely. They are the team to model after.

42 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

The announcer has been sick and effecting his calling of the game 

Good that he is battling through but you'd think they'd have a backup announcer ? 

If he's sick and it's affecting his performance, especially for a championship series, GET SOMEONE ELSE.

• Agree 1