Sabres will not be signing Mats Lindgren to an ELC

Brawndo

Posted about this a day or 2 ago in the prospects thread.

Between what he's shown and what we have in the pipeline, I'm not surprised.

I tend to want to sign everybody; letting someone who's not a late-rounder go after just 2 years makes me nervous.

But I understand how that's not really how things work, especially with all the picks the Sabres have made recently.

Seemed like a nice kid. Hope he gets a shot elsewhere.

Just don't go all Brandon Hagel on us.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Hmmm…. I don’t like it, but I guess you know that is going to happen when you draft ten plus players two years in a row….

I hope it doesn’t come up and bite us in the ass again…. Lindgren has got talent that’s for sure…. Not so sure about the other guys…

Not sure which would be worse, flailing on a 4th rounder so badly that you won't even give him an ELC 2 years later; or misreading his development and not giving a contract to a guy that should've been a keeper 2 years later.  Almost certainly the latter especially when figuring in that was the season that things were finally starting to get back to normal.

The draft is a crapshoot even in the top 10 most years. 

You draft a kid at 18, send him back to junior or where ever he plays and hope he grows and develops.

Lindgren never developed his overall game. I mean Kamloops were hosting the Memorial Cup and he asked to be traded. Something didn’t make sense. If they sign him they hope he can crack the ECHL roster but there is no guarantee he can. His skating was a big plus but the rest of his game was  just meh.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Not sure which would be worse, flailing on a 4th rounder so badly that you won't even give him an ELC 2 years later; or misreading his development and not giving a contract to a guy that should've been a keeper 2 years later.  Almost certainly the latter especially when figuring in that was the season that things were finally starting to get back to normal.

Flailing? 🤔

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Why? He's not that good. 

What does it hurt?  He is an excellent skater and may just need more time (like Hagel) to develop.  Give him an AHL deal, let him go back to juniors and see what happens. 

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

What does it hurt?  He is an excellent skater and may just need more time (like Hagel) to develop.  Give him an AHL deal, let him go back to juniors and see what happens. 

Hagel was a special case because it was a brow-furrowing decision from the word go. Not only did Hagel look like the more promising prospect, considering a system depth comparison signing Hagel was always a no-brainer and it was a clear, focused instance of Botterill declining to sign him because he got much too literal/Sith with his “absolutely no Canadian Junior players” bias. Precisely when his bias became a farce 

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He's a lhd, he's behind at least 2 other prospect lhds. He's behind 4 nhl lhd (3 of which are signed until like 2031). He would be taking up a contract slot which doesn't really matter but still. What's the point? Hagels are rare, really rare. Stop hoping everyone is an exception, most are rules. This is such a non issue. 

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Considering hockey is the only sport where a top 15 drafted player is considered a good pick if he ends up being a 30 point 3rd line player that plays both ways, I'm not sure how you get to that on a 4th round pick.

Edited by Big Guava

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He's a lhd, he's behind at least 2 other prospect lhds. He's behind 4 nhl lhd (3 of which are signed until like 2031). He would be taking up a contract slot which doesn't really matter but still. What's the point? Hagels are rare, really rare. Stop hoping everyone is an exception, most are rules. This is such a non issue. 

An AHL deal does not count against the 50 contract limit.  The depth doesn't look good for him making the Sabres long-term, but we need organizational depth in the ECHL and AHL.  The kid also has NHL caliber wheels, and there is no rush to develop him.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

An AHL deal does not count against the 50 contract limit.  The depth doesn't look good for him making the Sabres long-term, but we need organizational depth in the ECHL and AHL.  The kid also has NHL caliber wheels, and there is no rush to develop him.  

Yes but he has to agree to an AHL deal.  Why would he when he can be a ufa? 

Lots of good skaters in lower leagues that go no where. 

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes but he has to agree to an AHL deal.  Why would he when he can be a ufa? 

Doesn't he go back to the draft?  

Regardless, he may or may not agree to a deal.  What's the harm is trying? 

Jbot was correct when he said that the CHL rules force decisions on many kids before those decisions should be made.  The 2 European 7th rd D also let go today are from 2020.  One is nearly 22 and the other nearly 23.  This is a much better evaluation period. 

I don't know if Lindgren will amount to anything, but the he has pro wheels and it could be a matter and maturity and physical development to make him a viable prospect.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.