This Day In Buffalo Sabres History

The beginning of the end!

I remember his return not long after @Pimlach got shown the door along with Pronovost. He reenergized the team and there was hope. Billy Inglis had the Sabres playing some good hockey.

Edited by PASabreFan

23 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The beginning of the end!

I remember his return not long after @Pimlach got shown the door along with Pronovost. He reenergized the team and there was hope. Billy Inglis had the Sabres playing some good hockey.

Yup.  Billy did a nice job until the playoffs.   That was also the year that Schoeny, Guevremont, and Hajt all missed about half of the games with injuries.   Hajt and Guevremont missed the playoffs too.    This kid learned that year that Billy Hajt was really pretty dam good back there.  

That Sabres team just never got going and lost in the best of 3 first round playoffs 2 games to 1.  They blew leads and lost both of their home games, losing to a very mediocre powder blue Penguin squad.  The Sabres looked like they were playing with 20 pound weights on their legs that series.  They were terrible in that playoff. 

The Imlach era was over.   

The next season started the Bowman era, with Scotty as both Coach and GM, something he had not done before.  Next season also brought in the WHA franchises and the game started to change.  

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Yup.  Billy did a nice job until the playoffs.   That was also the year that Schoeny, Guevremont, and Hajt all missed about half of the games with injuries.   Hajt and Guevremont missed the playoffs too.    This kid learned that year that Billy Hajt was really pretty dam good back there.  

That Sabres team just never got going and lost in the best of 3 first round playoffs 2 games to 1.  They blew leads and lost both of their home games, losing to a very mediocre powder blue Penguin squad.  The Sabres looked like they were playing with 20 pound weights on their legs that series.  They were terrible in that playoff. 

The Imlach era was over.   

The next season started the Bowman era, with Scotty as both Coach and GM, something he had not done before.  Next season also brought in the WHA franchises and the game started to change.  

IIRC, the ice was still a clean sheet when the Pens won the series in OT. Made me want to jump from my orange seat

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

White home Uni's and a loud home crowd. 

Can we go back to White's at home?    Is this a league rule to wear whites on the road?  It stinks. 

20 hours ago, mphs mike said:

IIRC, the ice was still a clean sheet when the Pens won the series in OT. Made me want to jump from my orange seat

Yes, it happened quick.  They kept blowing the lead at home.   

The best of 3 opening round was very dangerous, no room for error.  

5 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

This one from '75 is a Sabres story, also. I had to blow it up and look for the name, but sure enough, Bob Sauve was drafted on this day by the Sabres! Good call Kevin Adams! 

Did the editor &/or typesetter have a liquid lunch that day?  Buffalo Braves, Stanely Cup, a few other suspected ones too.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Not following 

If so, you didn't read the article.  "The Buffalo Braves today" is literally the 1st line of the article under the headline of "Top Sabre Draftee Is a Goaltender."

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If so, you didn't read the article.  "The Buffalo Braves today" is literally the 1st line of the article under the headline of "Top Sabre Draftee Is a Goaltender."

Congrats, you picks out an (almost) 50 year old typo. 👏

• Haha (+1) 2

Congrats, you picks out an (almost) 50 year old typo. 👏

Pretty friggin' egregious typos from back in a time when there were actual editors, typesetters, and people that reviewed what the typesetters actually set.

Again, was somebody drunk that day?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Pretty friggin' egregious typos from back in a time when there were actual editors, typesetters, and people that reviewed what the typesetters actually set.

Again, was somebody drunk that day?

Yes, monstrous crime against humanity! Maybe you should go take a dump on his grave

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Yes, monstrous crime against humanity! Maybe you should go take a dump on his grave

Weird,…

Unless it was your dad,…

Was it your dad?…

If so, I'm sorry he was drunk that day.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Amidst this squabbling, I am loving these articles and seeing the old newspapers and the ads.

Laux Sporting Goods in the BLVD Mall.   I used to walk or ride my bike there as a kid. 

Bought football equipment there.   Bought an excellent Rawlings "Mickey Mantle" signed outfielders glove there too.  

Bought hockey sticks and plastic ends for street hockey sticks there, not to mention numerous mouth guards needed for hockey and tackle football.  

What a great childhood and (teen hood) memory.   I played organized sports all the time, and I played pick up sports in the neighborhoods even more.   We had a blast.  The neighborhood games were almost every day and year round.  No parents, no refs or umps, we solved our own disputes.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

My father? Really? 

No. Not really. It was a joke.

Sheesh. Who pissed in your cheerios?

Why so cranky over a comment made about a 50 year old article?

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

Did the editor &/or typesetter have a liquid lunch that day?  Buffalo Braves, Stanely Cup, a few other suspected ones too.

Maybe the ad campain for Clan MacGregor included samples ??

My brother who was stationed at US Army base in NF NY during his flight training used to bring me many of the Clan MacGregor back acrost the boarder with him.

That was many lives ago and the nicest thing that jackass ever did for me.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.