Sabres Defense - Current Pairing Ideas and What Moves Should Adams Make to Enhance the Group

20 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Which is why fringe players like Girgs, Jost, Robinson, Joker, Bryson, should be replaced.   

They have cap space, it cannot be that hard to improve this team.   

Do people really consider Jokiharju 'fringe'?

The math says there are 192 D positions available in the NHL. Last year Jokiharju was:

• 105 in points
  • 125 in ice time per game
  • 39 in plus/minus
  • 104 in blocked shots
  • 83 in hits
  • 109 in giveaways per 60

Statistically he seems almost the definition of a 4/5 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Unfortunately, I almost expect 3 of those 5 names to be back on new deals (Girgs, Joker and Bryson).  Not at all what I want, but I don’t trust Pegula and Adams.

Girgs isn't likely to be back; he sold his house along with a good deal of the furniture in said house

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The math says there are 192 D positions available in the NHL. Last year Jokiharju was:

• 105 in points
  • 39 in plus/minus
  • 104 in blocked shots
  • 83 in hits

Personally, see the issue with Jokiharju and his perception is that 1st off, Granato loved him some Jokiharju, which kept putting him in roles he shouldn't have been in.  He was not a good partner for Power as they both had similar weaknesses and way too often Don would pair Henri with Dahlin whom he had absolutely no business being paired with.  (Or, he shouldn't have been paired with him through 2/3's of Ras' ice time.  When Ras was out against the other team's 2nd and 3rd lines, sure let Henri get ice time.  But he absolutely shouldn't have been out against the other team's top line.)

If Power ends up on the top pairing with Dahlin, sure, play Henri with Byram and let him be the 4.  If Power isn't on the top pairing (and personally expect Adams wants Ruff to at least look at a Byram Dahlin pairing) then put either Samuelsson or Clifton with Power and let Henri be the 5.

But, had Joker not been getting forced into roles he wasn't particularly well suited for, he'd still be viewed more in the light he was when he 1st got to Buffalo and Scandella was his partner.  The true crime of trading Marco for a 4th wasn't just that Moe-ray-all flipped him for a 2nd; it was that "good Jokiharju" was traded away that day too.  If you have a pairing that works, regardless of where the 2nd guy on the pairing fits into the pecking order on paper, keep it together as long as you can.  D-pairings can be very fickle and if you have something that works, don't throw it away just because.  Jokiharju was regularly getting called the Sabres best or 2nd best defender back then.  Haven't heard him called that in quite some time.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

• 105 in points
  • 39 in plus/minus
  • 104 in blocked shots
  • 83 in hits

Great, he is not fringe.  This only reinforces my case to trade him for  player that fills a hole on the roster.   He brings nothing new to the D core - he is a decent 4/5, but the the skills he has are similar to Dahlin, Power, Byram and R Johnson.   We need to somehow get stronger and more physical on the blueline.  

Don't get me wrong, I think that:

A: the Sabres would have a much more balanced and complete D corps by flipping Jokiharju for a more stay-at-home, physical 4/5 RD

B: Jokiharju is done as a Sabre due to the cap and contract situation.

I just think he has value the others on your list do not have, particularly as an RD who can skate. Seems like teams are always looking for those..

12 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Great, he is not fringe.  This only reinforces my case to trade him for  player that fills a hole on the roster.   He brings nothing new to the D core - he is a decent 4/5, but the the skills he has are similar to Dahlin, Power, Byram and R Johnson.   We need to somehow get stronger and more physical on the blueline.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Girgs isn't likely to be back; he sold his house along with a good deal of the furniture in said house

How do you dig up these tidbits Wook ?

Do you lurk in all the shrubbery ??

(insert winkie thingie here)

Furniture too, you say .. hmmmm - perhaps he intends to go back to Europe.  I can see moving furniture from Buffalo to someplace else in NA, but not as likely acrost the pond, as it were.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
more goodly ...

1 minute ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

How do you dig up these tidbits Wook ?

Do you lurk in all the shrubbery ??

(insert winkie thingie here)

Furniture too, you say .. hmmmm - perhaps he intends to go back to Europe.  I can see moving furniture from Buffalo to someplace else in NA, but not as likely acrost the pond, as it were.

My co-workers cousin just bought his house and some of the furniture from him.

Plus my job involves occasionally looking up property tax info for zombie houses so with the address given I could connect the dots.

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

My co-workers cousin just bought his house and some of the furniture from him.

Plus my job involves occasionally looking up property tax info for zombie houses so with the address given I could connect the dots.

• Haha (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Back on topic what would you pay for Theodore or Larsson?

Theodore? Aren’t you the guy who thinks we are already spending too much money on the D-core and also thought the Sabres were crazy to add another puck-moving LHD in Byram? Love the player, don’t see the fit.

I think Larsson is a very good defensive RHD and would be happy to effectively flip Jokiharju+ a pick or prospect to add him as a full-season rental. Doubt that happens.

I think you’re shopping in the wrong stores. The Sabres aren’t looking for big game on the back end. They already made their move for a 22-year-old Shea Theodore and are not adding another top 3 defenceman.

Edited by dudacek

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Theodore? Aren’t you the guy who thinks we are already spending too much money on the D-core and also thought the Sabres were crazy to add another puck-moving LHD in Byram? Love the player, don’t see the fit.

I think Larsson is a very good defensive RHD and would be happy to effectively flip Jokiharju+ a pick or prospect to add him as a full-season rental. Doubt that happens.

I think you’re shopping in the wrong stores. The Sabres aren’t looking for big game on the back end. They already made their move for a 22-year-old Shea Theodore and are not adding another top 3 defenceman.

I do think we are over spending on D long-term, which is why I’m dead set against re-sign Joki. However, Adams should be in go for it mode for next season and despite the addition of Byram, we are still short a legit top 4 D.  We have the cap space to afford one year rentals like Larsson and Theodore.  I’m in agreement on Larsson over Theodore, and that Theodore is another puck mover.  I raised him, because he is available and I wanted to see what people thought his market was.  

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You like the misleading headline? We actually don't know what most teams are spending cuz ufa season hasn't started. 

I think what you are referring to as the headline was actually just his tweet. Also, I don’t think his tweet is all that misleading, if at all. We will almost certainly be spending in the top 5-7 when it comes to money spent on D. 

Edited by Archie Lee

Posted (edited)

Yes we are over spending on defense with nothing to show for it.  Don’t forget this group allowed the 7th most HDC last season.  If (when?) KA re-signs Joki and Bryson we will be making the over spend worse.  

This group is a miss-mash of parts that don’t quite fit together into a cohesive group.  They currently have two legit top 4 D in Dahlin and Power.  The rest are 3rd pairing players.  Mule is slated for the top 4 and maybe if he could stay healthy he’d fit there.  Maybe!  We certainly could use an effective physical stay at home D there.  Clifton is a bottom pair player.  Joki, despite top 4 pt, grades out as a 5 and his skill set doesn’t really work with Dahlin or Power.  Bryam is a ball of occasionally effective raw talent.  It’s why Col traded him. 4 good games followed by 12 bad ones does not a top 4 D make.  

The best thing KA can do for this group is move on from Joki.  Avoid another longterm deal.  Find a vet stay at home D to bridge until Johnson or Novikov are ready to earn the job. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.