2024 Conference Finals

3 hours ago, Night Train said:

Starting the Cup final in June seems crazy.

It does, but it's been like this since the 1992 strike and the 82-game schedule. Once that happened, the Cup Final slipped at least two weeks to very late May at the earliest (5/31/1994) and often well into June. Sabres-Stars Game 1 was 6/8/1999 with a full week off after closing out Toronto on 5/31.

10 hours ago, Night Train said:

Starting the Cup final in June seems crazy.

Plus I cannot hope any sports team from Miami wins anything, after enduring the 1970's with the Miami football team.  I don't care how many ex-Sabres play there. 

Good point on the Cup final in June.   

While it is still followed closely in Canada, most in the USA have turned their thoughts to baseball, golf, backyard barbeques, boating and swimming, kids home from school, and summer vacations.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'll pull for the Oilers to win the Cup because (1) they're a Canadian club (hmmm, Canadian Club) and (2) they have an all-time great player who hasn't yet won a Cup (and I like for the greats to be indisputably great).

Science should study the brains of Buffalo Sabre fans who will pull for a team in South Florida because they have several former Sabres on their team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'll pull for the Oilers to win the Cup because (1) they're a Canadian club (hmmm, Canadian Club) and (2) they have an all-time great player who hasn't yet won a Cup (and I like for the greats to be indisputably great).

Science should study the brains of Buffalo Sabre fans who will pull for a team in South Florida because they have several former Sabres on their team.

At the end of the day I want the Cup drought in Canada to continue and McDavid to not get a Cup. Nothing against McDavid but he should of been a Sabre and his team doesn't deserve to be given a Cup too. Plus the headcase known as Evander Kane shouldn't get a ring either.

Florida, I don't like all that much either but I would like to see Reinhart and Okposo win a Cup.  

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I am unequivocally pulling for the Panthers only because I’ve taken a genuine liking to their style, most players and their entertaining HC. 

Ex Sabres doesn’t do it for me whatsoever. It’s the Barkovs, Bennetts, Tkatchuks, Lundells and Forslings that I have admiration for. Would love for Buffalo to emulate these guys. Game played right. Tough, disciplined and skilled. 

Gimme that, please. Very Cup worthy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, stinky finger said:

This isn’t the NBA. 

McDavid, Draisaitl and Bouchard appear to bridge that gap as a unit 

12 hours ago, OverPowerYou said:

Game 1 isn’t until Saturday. Whatever happened to the days when the next series started 2 days later? This is dragging on. 

Ya the playoffs are going to finish in like august lol 

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

At the end of the day I want the Cup drought in Canada to continue and McDavid to not get a Cup. Nothing against McDavid but he should of been a Sabre and his team doesn't deserve to be given a Cup too. Plus the headcase known as Evander Kane shouldn't get a ring either.

Florida, I don't like all that much either but I would like to see Reinhart and Okposo win a Cup.  

You are such a hater. I respect it thoroughly.

Thought not as much as me, apparently: I could not give 2 shites if Kyle “we aren’t saluting the fans anymore” Okposo and Sam “at least I called Kevyn Adams back” Reinhart win a cup. Who cares.

Ideally this series gets cancelled and no Cup is awarded 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Between the NHL and CHL playoffs, the World Championships, this has been a good run. I’ve watched as much hockey as I can handle.

Every night since the beginning. 

My favorite. Can’t imagine the Sabres involved anymore. Been too long. 

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Thought not as much as me, apparently: I could not give 2 shites if Kyle “we aren’t saluting the fans anymore” Okposo and Sam “at least I called Kevyn Adams back” Reinhart win a cup. Who cares.

Ideally this series gets cancelled and no Cup is awarded 

What would be ideal, for me, is that no team that currently does not have a cup gets a cup before the Sabres do. So by this logic, I want Florida to lose. Edmonton already has cups, don't care if they get more. I was happy that Vancouver lost for no reason other than them not having a cup 

And I agree completely about your Florida point. I don't understand the narrative of people wanting ex Sabres to do well, and that's another reason I do not want Florida to win 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OverPowerYou said:

The irony - there’s a good chance if McDavid was a Sabres that Reinhart would’ve stayed 

Or we could have drafted Draisaitl instead of Reinhart.

You seem to forget that Eichel beats McDavid head to head  and he already won a cup. 

34 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

What would be ideal, for me, is that no team that currently does not have a cup gets a cup before the Sabres do. So by this logic, I want Florida to lose. Edmonton already has cups, don't care if they get more. I was happy that Vancouver lost for no reason other than them not having a cup 

And I agree completely about your Florida point. I don't understand the narrative of people wanting ex Sabres to do well, and that's another reason I do not want Florida to win 

I think this went out the window when Vegas won. That short span of time from inception pretty much makes all the rest irrelevant. 

I just want us to make the playoffs and break the streak so that we can all start talking about the team in normal terms and expectations like most everybody else does. Tanks and lotteries, and various other mistakes can just get buried forever. 

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I just want us to make the playoffs and break the streak so that we can all start talking about the team in normal terms and expectations like most everybody else does. Tanks and lotteries, and various other mistakes can just get buried forever. 

This franchise needs to be relevant again for the mental health of the fans and players.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Good point on the Cup final in June.   

While it is still followed closely in Canada, most in the USA have turned their thoughts to baseball, golf, backyard barbeques, boating and swimming, kids home from school, and summer vacations.  

...and the NBA Finals.

I like Florida better when I look at the teams and the way they play. 

I like Florida better when I look at the uni's. 

I don't really care about Reinhart, Montour, Okposo and the rest.  

I don't want Florida to get a Cup before Buffalo. 

I am fine to let Canada get one. 

Let's Go McOilers!   I guess. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Let's Go McOilers!   I guess. 

I don't want Oilers to win because 1, I generally hate "star" worship and prefer "team" and 2. it'll just propel the bs narrative of "if only we'd won the lottery and got McDavid in Buffalo". I like the way Florida plays and in a copy cat league I'd be pretty happy if that was the model going forward

But I won't lose sleep if it somehow happened that Edmonton managed to win. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't want Oilers to win because 1, I generally hate "star" worship and prefer "team" and 2. it'll just propel the bs narrative of "if only we'd won the lottery and got McDavid in Buffalo". I like the way Florida plays and in a copy cat league I'd be pretty happy if that was the model going forward

Fair.  But I still feel the "if only" feeling on that lottery.     McDavid is clearly the better player over Eichel, and McDavid just always seemed to be more mature and focused, even as a teenager.  Would have loved him to be a Sabre for life.  That doesn't mean the Sabres under Pegula would have turned out any better, Eichel was good enough to build around and they massively failed in that endeavor.   

As for Florida winning.  I already stated they look better and I like their game.  But I just do not want to see Florida win, in anything.  

It is time for a Canadian city to bask in the glory.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Big Guava said:

Last game it might as well been. McDavid was singlehandedly the reason they won that game.

I get the sentiment because he scored goals but McDavid did nothing to prevent the puck from getting shot on his own net and keeping the puck from entering it. If McDavid had a majority of puck possession time and kept the Stars from mounting shots then I would give him credit.

Certainly he scored enough, but the team was out shot which should give some love to the goalie as well.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/4/2024 at 3:26 PM, PerreaultForever said:

But,... the guy we picked already won the Stanley Cup.

I'm confident that if Buffalo had gotten to pick McDavid, there would have been complications with his clavicle surgery and he would still be out of the lineup to this day.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LTS said:

I get the sentiment because he scored goals but McDavid did nothing to prevent the puck from getting shot on his own net and keeping the puck from entering it. If McDavid had a majority of puck possession time and kept the Stars from mounting shots then I would give him credit.

Certainly he scored enough, but the team was out shot which should give some love to the goalie as well.

The goal he scored looked like he was a grown man playing hockey with a bunch of 5 year olds in the back yard. He just made the entire Stars team look ridiculous.

In a game the Oilers had no business winning or even being in, he provided both offensive plays for them to score the only 2 goals they scored.

Yeah, the goalie I'm sure made some saves, but without McDavid, the Oilers would have been shutout.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.