2024 Conference Finals

McPowerplay strikes again. Have a feeling it’s the Oilers year 

i still cannot remember a final 4 with 4 more unlikeable teams. Worst rooting playoffs in memory. Thank God for baseball 

Edited by Thorny

11 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

It was Chris Drury who led me to conclude that "the greats," the "clutch players" don't so much elevate their game in high-pressure situations as much as they continue to execute at the same level that they ordinarily do when there's less pressure. The "elevation" is -- possibly -- a bit of an optical (?) illusion, as many other players around the clutch player are gripping their sticks too tight, trying to do too much, over-thinking things, etc.

Just a theory. It was something from how Drury talked about his penchant for clutch performances -- maybe a Sports Illustrated (?!) article following that crazy Rangers game ("who else?!").

10 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Indeed. Also, I verily believe, he was (is?) an as*hole. How I miss him.

Yeah - the theory I posited above doesn't quite hold for all players (or across all sports). Because, as you say, there are some hockey players who very clearly appear(ed) to take things up a notch once the Cup's on the line. Both theories can be true, of course.

The Sabres are dying for a guy like Drury.

And I've heard it opined by credible sources that when the captain/best player is also a demanding AH, it can be extremely effective in getting the most out of his team.

Maybe Dahlin can become that guy, although I think they need it from Tage, Tuch and/or Cozens.

3 hours ago, stinky finger said:

Claude Lemieux comes to mind. Dude had game when the lights were brightest.

He was a fantastic playoff player, albeit a very hateable opponent.

51 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Always felt Briere brought it even more so. Left every bit of his soul out there 

Biggest thing is that powerplays go down and the importance of even strength play goes up. At least it used to be that way 

not as in touch with current playoff product

Briere was also fantastic in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

i still cannot remember a final 4 with 4 more unlikeable teams. Worst rooting playoffs in memory. Thank God for baseball 

I love Florida. They're big, fast, talented, mean, and when they hit it hurts.  Basically, everything the Sabres aren’t now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Not sure they win the cup, but they're gonna win this series - in 6

Gotta yank Oetteniger

5 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

These conference finals are so back and forth. It’s like nobody wants to take a commanding series lead. Wouldn’t be surprised to see 2 game 7’s

WE might get 7 in the Eastern.

Not in the west.

On 5/22/2024 at 3:33 PM, Thorny said:

Ya, of the 4 remaining teams there’s no one to root for 

Uninspiring final 4 for sure, not even sure the hockey will be exciting 

Good teams definitely though, maybe the 4 best  

On 5/22/2024 at 9:35 PM, stinky finger said:

With all due respect, Edmonton is in no way one of the 4 best teams.

Proof meets pudding 

Least so far 

33 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Proof meets pudding 

Least so far 

They’re finishing off the Stars Sunday. That doesn’t change my stance. Rangers, Panthers, Canes, Knights are my top 4. I still think Dallas is better and I would take Tampa if my money were on the line. I might go Avs also. 

My humble opinion. 

Edited by stinky finger
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Proof meets pudding 

Least so far 

Also possible Dallas is more worn down by playing tougher opponents. Lot of old guys on that Dallas team and going through Vegas and Colorado was a lot harder than LA and Vancouver. We will see if they have anything left on Sunday. 

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Also possible Dallas is more worn down by playing tougher opponents. Lot of old guys on that Dallas team and going through Vegas and Colorado was a lot harder than LA and Vancouver. We will see if they have anything left on Sunday. 

There’s some truth to this. 

Skinner has outplayed the Big O from Big D, which I didn’t think was possible. This is perhaps the biggest reason this series is where it is. 

• Like (+1) 1

Where would the Rangers be without Shesterkin, seriously. 

Similar to, where would those sabres teams have been without Hasek. It's the one position that can really make or break you. 

The Blues wouldn't have won without Binnington (even if he is dog doo doo now) 

Hopefully we have our duo set. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It could be.  I do think Dallas is more banged up.  They miss Hakanpaa on D and now Tanev has a bad wheel. Hintz hasn't been himself.  They aren't getting nearly enough from Marchment, Duchene and Pavelski, who have 5 goals combined in the playoffs. 

The Oilers reported weaknesses (D, team D, forward depth, grit) are overrated though.  They are better in those areas than they are largely credited for.  Janmark, Henrique, Holloway have combined for more goals (7 ) than the 3 Dallas players I reference. I don't think they will be intimidated physically. Skinner is a wildcard from game to game, so there is always that risk. 

That said, Dallas could easily bounce back with something as simple as a great performance by Oettinger in game 6.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Would an Edmonton v. Florida final be the farthest distance btw final teams ever?

Calgary Vs Tampa. How far was that? 

Florida would have home ice. Tough for the Oilers 

Maybe it's the farthest.

Per random searches (say random because it wasn't always the same website providing the answers; so take this for whatever it's worth).

Ottawa Anaheim 2,448

Lauderdale Edmonton 2,550

Boston Vancouver 2,531

Montreal LA 2,474

NYC LA 2,445

So, it appears it would be 19 miles further apart than the B's victory over Van City.

Of course, Sunrise is about 15 or so miles west of Lauderdale.  No idea where the rinks are in relation to the airports for the other cities and no idea if those distances are all calculated via the same method.  Some might be via flight path, which may not be completely direct, and some might be direct but from city edge to city edge rather than from airport to airport.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Would an Edmonton v. Florida final be the farthest distance btw final teams ever?

It’s like 40 miles farther than Boston/Vancouver.

Ya I mean if Edmonton wins the cup we’ll have to grudgingly agree they are the 6th best team in the nhl. We can’t forget to square the data the league uses to determine who the best team is for the season with our own personally chosen, biased markers for success, like Expected playoff wins inferred based on how tired we are randomly guessing the teams to be and also prospect pool strength.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.