2024 Conference Finals

10 minutes ago, ... said:

That was satisfying in the end. However, these games have been starting slow; the action doesn't really pick up until the third(s).

Maybe a bit of fatigue kicking in, a lot of hockey has been played. 

Also my bracket is fairly trash, a panthers win over the Oil, would allow me to redeem a little bit lol 

7 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Also my bracket is fairly trash, a panthers win over the Oil, would allow me to redeem a little bit lol 

everything emperor GIF

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

The thing is we don’t know what our team will be like in the playoffs. Players always step up their game, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they can handle playoff hockey. Marner is one of many who have been found to have issues with playoff hockey. But nothing can truly predict playoff effectiveness. Patrick Kane is very similar to Marner in stature and actually less of a two way player; yet he has always been a clutch performer in the playoffs. 

Obviously true, but I make my guesses based on what we see in tougher physical games and against teams that play styles closer to playoff hockey. We can do very well in wide open games and with open ice (score 9 against the Leafs even) but the tighter the checking and the greater the contact and then we often struggle. This does not bode well for playoff hockey. 

The greatest weaknesses of this team have been the same for quite a while. Lack of net drive and net front presence on offense and the inability to box out, block shots, and defend our own end in front and near the paint. That's where the playoffs get won and lost. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Of course not.  Every player elevates when they get to the playoffs.  The current Sabres haven't seen that yet.  But if they had made the playoffs you'd see a higher gear out of the Sabres players.

So when posters claim, "This isn't the same Reinhart who played for the Sabres," it most certainly is; he just found that next gear.  That's what happens.

Every player does not elevate for the playoffs.  Some wither and fade, and some find another level and elevate.

We don't really know which Sabres will elevate, or if we have enough of them that will.  They still need to add the proven veteran know how.  

• Agree 2

Considering they couldn't elevate when the team was on the "cusp" then it appears that they could not if they actually made the dance. 

We needed to make it one of the last 2 years.

As for the playoffs, they've been pretty good. This panthers/rags series is awesome 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

57 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Every player does not elevate for the playoffs.  Some wither and fade, and some find another level and elevate.

We don't really know which Sabres will elevate, or if we have enough of them that will.  They still need to add the proven veteran know how.  

It was Chris Drury who led me to conclude that "the greats," the "clutch players" don't so much elevate their game in high-pressure situations as much as they continue to execute at the same level that they ordinarily do when there's less pressure. The "elevation" is -- possibly -- a bit of an optical (?) illusion, as many other players around the clutch player are gripping their sticks too tight, trying to do too much, over-thinking things, etc.

Just a theory. It was something from how Drury talked about his penchant for clutch performances -- maybe a Sports Illustrated (?!) article following that crazy Rangers game ("who else?!").

28 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

It was Chris Drury who led me to conclude that "the greats," the "clutch players" don't so much elevate their game in high-pressure situations as much as they continue to execute at the same level that they ordinarily do when there's less pressure. The "elevation" is -- possibly -- a bit of an optical (?) illusion, as many other players around the clutch player are gripping their sticks too tight, trying to do too much, over-thinking things, etc.

Just a theory. It was something from how Drury talked about his penchant for clutch performances -- maybe a Sports Illustrated (?!) article following that crazy Rangers game ("who else?!").

He said something like if you prepare properly everything takes care of itself. He was a great Stoic.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I can get on board with this, but there are guys, Drury included, that are clutch in the playoffs.

I can think of Henri "Pocket Rocket" Richard as a guy that elevated his normal  high level to and even higher one come playoff time.  Butch Goring for the Islanders has good in the regular season and even better in the playoffs.  Guy Carbonneau also comes to mind.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

He said something like if you prepare properly everything takes care of itself. He was a great Stoic.

Indeed. Also, I verily believe, he was (is?) an as*hole. How I miss him.

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

I can get on board with this, but there are guys, Drury included, that are clutch in the playoffs.

I can think of Henri "Pocket Rocket" Richard as a guy that elevated his normal  high level to and even higher one come playoff time.  Butch Goring for the Islanders has good in the regular season and even better in the playoffs.  Guy Carbonneau also comes to mind.  

Yeah - the theory I posited above doesn't quite hold for all players (or across all sports). Because, as you say, there are some hockey players who very clearly appear(ed) to take things up a notch once the Cup's on the line. Both theories can be true, of course.

58 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

And yet Drury was the guy that missed the open net (from a tough angle) shortly before Commode Door gave the Canes the 1st period lead.

45 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And yet Drury was the guy that missed the open net (from a tough angle) shortly before Commode Door gave the Canes the 1st period lead.

Nobody's perfect ...?

Dude was "Captain Clutch" during the 05-07 window.

6 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I don't think this is true. I think it has more to do with the length of the season. There's no way you can keep up the level of physicality the playoffs has and demands for over 80 games. You see it now and again in an important game but overall their bodies can't handle that and so it doesn't happen. Often they can't even handle it for a full playoff grind. Last year Florida was worn down by the final. I think some of them have paced it better this year and that's why you've seen guys like Okposo get games as well. Depth still matters. 

It's not just physicality either, it's speed and intensity and it's simply physically demanding. Some are willing to give that, and some just aren't. At least not on a consistent basis, and that's the difference. As the cliche Shorsey type saying goes did you leave it all on the ice and did you go until you couldn't  go any more. If the answer is YES, then that's your playoff guy that elevates, and that's the guys we need on the Sabres. 

43 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think this is true. I think it has more to do with the length of the season. There's no way you can keep up the level of physicality the playoffs has and demands for over 80 games. You see it now and again in an important game but overall their bodies can't handle that and so it doesn't happen. Often they can't even handle it for a full playoff grind. Last year Florida was worn down by the final. I think some of them have paced it better this year and that's why you've seen guys like Okposo get games as well. Depth still matters. 

It's not just physicality either, it's speed and intensity and it's simply physically demanding. Some are willing to give that, and some just aren't. At least not on a consistent basis, and that's the difference. As the cliche Shorsey type saying goes did you leave it all on the ice and did you go until you couldn't  go any more. If the answer is YES, then that's your playoff guy that elevates, and that's the guys we need on the Sabres. 

The shot blocking ratchets up too, taking a toll on them.

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

My prediction of Rangers vs Stars is in serious Jeopardy. I believe the Panthers will finish off their series even if it goes the distance. 

I also have a sneaking suspicion that the Oilers will oust the Stars.......rendering my bracket go boom.

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Claude Lemieux comes to mind. Dude had game when the lights were brightest.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, stinky finger said:

Claude Lemieux comes to mind. Dude had game when the lights were brightest.

Absolutely. Always had the intelligence to pick apart the opposition line he was matched up with in a series.  I remember him saying it became easier when you face the same players every other night. Conn Smythe winner for a reason.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Nobody's perfect ...?

Dude was "Captain Clutch" during the 05-07 window.

Always felt Briere brought it even more so. Left every bit of his soul out there 

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

The shot blocking ratchets up too, taking a toll on them.

Biggest thing is that powerplays go down and the importance of even strength play goes up. At least it used to be that way 

not as in touch with current playoff product 

- - - 

As for “clutch” I do think it mostly comes down to being by able to play your usual game when the game gets tighter  

“do your job” 

You see the grittier guys shine more because the rules aren’t adhered to as stringently by the officials 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I’ve seen more than one coach refer to this: calm and focus when everyone around you is melting in the moment.

Where I’ve seen it applied most is to situations: last minute, up/down a goal.

I don’t know that it applies as much to what @PerreaultForever is talking about: sustained excellence over the entire run of a playoff series as opposed to specific moments in it.

Drury was a 27-goal, 60-point scorer in the regular season for the Sabres and a 40-goal, 75-point scorer in the playoffs.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.