2024 Conference Finals

18 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

The sad thing is that you watch these four teams and realize just how far the Sabres are from being even remotely competitive in today's NHL.

Dallas is the model we should follow. They have an elite young goalie and a couple of elite young defenders. Up front they have great depth, without having an elite #1C. There are some obvious roster parallels (UPL, Dahlin, Power, Cozens, Benson and Quinn or Peterka could be our Oettinger, Heiskanen, Harley, Hintz, Stankoven and Robertson). Tuch is “nice” Benn. There is development to occur and there are depth pieces missing, but I don’t need to squint too hard to see how we could be a team like the Stars with the right approach to player acquisition and usage. 

34 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Dallas is the model we should follow. They have an elite young goalie and a couple of elite young defenders. Up front they have great depth, without having an elite #1C. There are some obvious roster parallels (UPL, Dahlin, Power, Cozens, Benson and Quinn or Peterka could be our Oettinger, Heiskanen, Harley, Hintz, Stankoven and Robertson). Tuch is “nice” Benn. There is development to occur and there are depth pieces missing, but I don’t need to squint too hard to see how we could be a team like the Stars with the right approach to player acquisition and usage. 

When the Sabres add Pavelski and Johnston, let me know. Also, I think the OP's point was that the Sabres don't play anywhere near the type of game needed to win the playoffs. The Sabres are like wet tissue paper and the 4 remaining playoff teams are like tempered steel. 

I think the Sabres could have beaten  this year's Washington in round one. Other than that, they would have been swept or lost 4-1 against any other remaining team. 

Even if we squeak into the playoffs this season, we have zero experience and will get bounced, so we need at least 2 seasons (being optimistic) to actually make some noise. 

I'm seeing all the shots of fan bases hanging out in Central Park and outside the arena and having a blast and I remember going to party in the Plaza in my youth and would love to see it again. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

When the Sabres add Pavelski and Johnston, let me know. Also, I think the OP's point was that the Sabres don't play anywhere near the type of game needed to win the playoffs. The Sabres are like wet tissue paper and the 4 remaining playoff teams are like tempered steel. 

I’ve become a bit more cynical in the last year, but I’m not nearly this cynical (yet). Also, I didn’t say we were the Stars in making, but rather that they should be our model and that we have many pieces that align or potentially align with that type of team. The Stars missed the playoffs just 4 seasons ago when Hintz, Robertson, Heiskanen and Oettinger were babies. Whether our owner and GM have the commitment and courage to make the necessary moves to become a team like the Stars (starting with a Skinner buyout this June, which some fans oppose out of concern over $2.44 million in dead cap 5-6 years from now), is another thing. I’m skeptical that there is anyone in the organization with the vision to get it done, but it is most definitely attainable. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

the Sabres don't play anywhere near the type of game needed to win the playoffs.

Of course not.  Every player elevates when they get to the playoffs.  The current Sabres haven't seen that yet.  But if they had made the playoffs you'd see a higher gear out of the Sabres players.

So when posters claim, "This isn't the same Reinhart who played for the Sabres," it most certainly is; he just found that next gear.  That's what happens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

Sure, and Jack didn’t play defense until Cassidy, and ROR wasn’t who he was until he went to the Blues. We’ve heard it all before and it’s just not true.

I don’t need to make up things to hate the Sabres, there are already plenty of actual reasons.

And I don’t do memes. If you don’t believe that you are wrong after me telling you twice (now, thrice), me showing you a picture isn’t going to do it.

So now I tell you you are wrong thrice and we can go on forever. 

Oh yes, I remember those guys on the Sabres well. So much winning I got tired of winning. And the cup wins, wow, those were great times. All thanks to the fabulous play of these revered superstars who excelled to their maximum on the Sabres. Such wonderful history. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Of course not.  Every player elevates when they get to the playoffs.  The current Sabres haven't seen that yet.  But if they had made the playoffs you'd see a higher gear out of the Sabres players.

So when posters claim, "This isn't the same Reinhart who played for the Sabres," it most certainly is; he just found that next gear.  That's what happens.

That is simply not true. Some do some don't. Some can't handle the playoffs at all (Mitch Marner eg.). If you think the current team we have will simply elevate if they make the playoffs you are sadly mistaken. 

Besides, Reinhart has been good all year. The intensity and push back comes from learning to play without fear. 

Evening, gang!

I've been under the weather these last many days and haven't had the energy to post any of my worthless drivel the past couple games. That said, feeling better.

I submit the Florida Panthers shall display the requisite energy, toughness and resilience to pull out this pivotal game 5. 

Fingers crossed!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

That is simply not true. Some do some don't. Some can't handle the playoffs at all (Mitch Marner eg.). If you think the current team we have will simply elevate if they make the playoffs you are sadly mistaken. 

Besides, Reinhart has been good all year. The intensity and push back comes from learning to play without fear. 

The thing is we don’t know what our team will be like in the playoffs. Players always step up their game, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they can handle playoff hockey. Marner is one of many who have been found to have issues with playoff hockey. But nothing can truly predict playoff effectiveness. Patrick Kane is very similar to Marner in stature and actually less of a two way player; yet he has always been a clutch performer in the playoffs. 

Edited by thewookie1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.