UFAs Sabres may want to sign

On 6/6/2024 at 11:58 AM, Sabres73 said:

The Canucks love Joshua, but don't want to overpay on a player looking for his first and likely only big contract so will likely move on from the player. If Buffalo wants him, they'll have to overpay as well. Do we really want to?

$7 million for 7 years.

On 6/6/2024 at 6:45 PM, Taro T said:

It actually would make more sense were the Dakota's to be divided into East & West Dakota rather than North & South.  (In both states, ranching is bigger in the east and mining bigger in the west.)

Why do you hate diversity?

Im Out GIF

20 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

$7 million for 7 years.

Re: Joshua. I was listening to a Leafs’ podcast yesterday and the hosts briefly spoke of Joshua as a UFA candidate. They rather quickly dismissed him for the Leafs due to cost and mentioned that they heard, or think, Joshua will be looking for the Mason Marchment deal. Two years ago Marchment signed as a UFA with Dallas for 4 x $4.5. At first I thought that was a bit rich for Joshua. Then I looked deeper and saw that prior to getting his contract, Marchment had played only 91 NHL games and produced 20 goals and 58 points and 71 pms. He was 27 at the time (29 now).   Joshua is 28 but has played 184 games and produced 33 goals and 64 points and 143 pms. Maybe the Marchment contract for Joshua isn’t so out of line. He is the sort of player we are missing. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, dudacek said:

This applies just as much to mattias Samuelsson, Dylan Cozens, and JJ Peterka as it does to Elias Lindholm. Every long-term contract is a bet.

Also, I think the concern over being able to resign Peterka and Quinn is a bit overstated. The Sabres control their rights for 5 more years. They don't have to give them 7-year, $50M deals next summer.

I agree that there isn't a necessity to sign young players such as JJ and Quinn to extended contracts right away. There's plenty of time to face that long-term deal/issue. Yet, if the organization has a belief that players such as Quinn and JJ will reach the next level, then from a financial standpoint it makes more sense to get that type of deal in place sooner. 

Players such as Dahlin and Tage are already contractually locked up. From a longer perspective, I think the organization was smart in securing them for the long term. Some people believe that the organization jumped the gun extending a deal to Samuelsson. Although he has been plagued with injuries, my view is that he will prove to be worth his contract.  However, there are no guarantees.

My basic point is that young players that have demonstrated the expected progression/development, especially those who come from within your system, should be signed sooner to those extended contracts than later. I'm not arguing that all their promising young players should be given those type of long and rich contracts, but wisely selectively the right candidates for that type of gilded contract is the right thing to do.  

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I agree that there isn't a necessity to sign young players such as JJ and Quinn to extended contracts right away. There's plenty of time to face that long-term deal/issue. Yet, if the organization has a belief that players such as Quinn and JJ will reach the next level, then from a financial standpoint it makes more sense to get that type of deal in place sooner. 

Players such as Dahlin and Tage are already contractually locked up. From a longer perspective, I think the organization was smart in securing them for the long term. Some people believe that the organization jumped the gun extending a deal to Samuelsson. Although he has been plagued with injuries, my view is that he will prove to be worth his contract.  However, there are no guarantees.

My basic point is that young players that have demonstrated the expected progression/development, especially those who come from within your system, should be signed sooner to those extended contracts than later. I'm not arguing that all their promising young players should be given those type of long and rich contracts, but wisely selectively the right candidates for that type of gilded contract is the right thing to do.  

I think there are times when a team needs to put off the longer term deal and take the opposite risk that it might cost more to extend a player down the road. The best teams in the league are examples. I’m certain that Dallas would have loved to lock Oettinger and Robertson up long-term. If they had done so though, then there would have been no Pavelski or no Marchment or poorer depth. Likewise, Florida could have locked up Bennett, Verhaeghe or even Reinhart, to longer term deals, but the price would have meant a reduction in overall depth and talent. Ditto Edmonton with Bouchard.  At some point, a team needs to shift emphasis away from planning for the future towards icing the best possible team in the present.  

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I think there are times when a team needs to put off the longer term deal and take the opposite risk that it might cost more to extend a player down the road. The best teams in the league are examples. I’m certain that Dallas would have loved to lock Oettinger and Robertson up long-term. If they had done so though, then there would have been no Pavelski or no Marchment or poorer depth. Likewise, Florida could have locked up Bennett, Verhaeghe or even Reinhart, to longer term deals, but the price would have meant a reduction in overall depth and talent. Ditto Edmonton with Bouchard.  At some point, a team needs to shift emphasis away from planning for the future towards icing the best possible team in the present.  

Your point is well taken but I have a slightly different take. I'm not against bridge contracts. In fact, that is probably the best approach to take with Quinn, JJ and UPL. However, if the organization has a belief that a particular young player is soon to emerge, then strategically, signing that particular potential talent sooner is the smarter way to go. As you well know, cap management is a juggling act that requires a lot of flexibility and judgment. Sometimes, a bad contract decision is made; and sometimes making the right contract decision to extend will allow greater flexibility in the near future. 

Right now, the Sabres are in a good cap situation that will allow them to add talent. They are not being handcuffed because of their overall contract situation. There is no excuse for them not to bolster and reshape this roster under the current situation. 

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Your point is well taken but I have a slightly different take. I'm not against bridge contracts. In fact, that is probably the best approach to take with Quinn, JJ and UPL. However, if the organization has a belief that a particular young player is soon to emerge, then strategically, signing that particular potential talent sooner is the smarter way to go. As you well know, cap management is a juggling act that requires a lot of flexibility and judgment. Sometimes, a bad contract decision is made; and sometimes making the right contract decision to extend will allow greater flexibility in the near future. 

Right now, the Sabres are in a good cap situation that will allow them to add talent. They are not being handcuffed because of their overall contract situation. There is no excuse for them not to bolster and reshape this roster under the current situation. 

Not particularly about your post, but I've seen a recent trend toward calling all short-term contracts 'bridge" contracts.

A bridge contract is typically short, but it's defining quality is that it starts and ends with the player as an RFA and basically takes advantage of the team control RFA status offers in order to keep the player's salary low. Basically, it bridges the gap between the fixed ELC contract, and the leverage a player gains with arbitration rights or UFA status.

It doesn't have to be (because 1-year deals exist), but it usually is a 2nd contract.

UPL just finished his bridge contract and now has arbitration rights.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Lots of good discussion here.  Lots of the same worries and one common concern is, "vets will be better players for other teams than for Buffalo".   

It certainly has happened quite a bit in the past 15 years or so, and it will continue until we get better coaches, a better line up filled with NHL players and legitimate NHL spare pieces,  and a winning culture.   Avoid players coming here to make the most money they can.   That should be a red flag from the past.  

We need to make this team more experienced, grittier, and mentally tougher this off season.   Lindy needs the freedom to bench a struggling or lazy player and plug in someone that actually belongs in the league. 

I  think playing the numbers game this off season gives a good chance to turn this around.   Bring in a few low-mid priced players (not NHL minimum JAGS) that have potential to reach their best level ever in Buffalo (like a Briere),  and bring in a few that are reliable and consistent vets (like a Teppo).   Don't break the bank on one Lindholm for $9M this off season because that could turn into a Erhard or a Taylor Hall if things go awry.   If you are going to spend $9M on a outside player then go make a big trade and get Brady Tkachuk or someone of that ilk.  

I still remember when the opposite was true, when we picked up players and they played their best hockey for Buffalo.  That was of course many decades ago when management hired the best GMs they could get, and when players felt they were joining a team with a real chance to win.  

To turn the tide this season, sign players for lower contracts/term and hit a few of them hit.  

On 6/12/2024 at 3:04 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

adding Stamkos and Kane with their Stanley Cups would go a longggg way toward ridding the loser culture from this team 

Stamkos is not coming here under any circumstances. He has no desire to come to Buffalo. Kane is another matter. If offered a better contract than others bidding for his services, I'm sure he would be interested to come back home. I think adding Kane to this roster would be a terrific move that not only could jolt this lineup but also the fanbase. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/12/2024 at 2:04 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

adding Stamkos and Kane with their Stanley Cups would go a longggg way toward ridding the loser culture from this team 

Probably not.  What is their commitment to doing that, beside making a few bucks and padding some stats?   We tried Stahl, Hall, Johnson, etc.  

We need our coaches and core players to own it and stop the losing culture.  

Playoff moves - bring in vets with tread their tires that bring in what is missing.  

1. Make a big multi player trade for a Center (1C/2C) that can take a big load off of Tage and Cozens.  On the block, any of 11OA, Joker, Skinner, Krebs, and certain prospects. 

2.  Add veteran toughness and veteran skill at wing, sign UFA's Joshua and Teravainen.   

3. Get a steady solid vet RHD for 2nd pair.  

4.  If Girgs leaves sign a guy like Carrier.  Same game, and Carrier will drop them.  

5.  Sign a #2G and do not rush Levi.  

Edited by Pimlach

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.