Off-season Game Plan 2024

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

because of that, this board will very likely be readable over the summer.  (A couple of days ago, not so sure that was going to be the case.)

My pitchfork was being sharpened, tar was getting warmed up and I was eyeing up my old pillows for feathers.

• Haha (+1) 2

I think most of us are in agreement that Lindy Ruff is a very good bench coach.

He’s a guy who notices things and makes quick adjustments and is good at deploying his players in ways game flows and situations dictate.

Kyle Okposo talked recently about how the Sabres strategy and answer to everything was skill. The implication was that last year’s roster simply wasn’t good at responding when the game was demanding they play in other ways.

Remember that long TV interview with Ruff a few weeks back when he said he needs his tools?

The implication there being that when situations demand a certain response or tactic (this is not code for thuggery, it applies to all facets of the game) he had players at his disposal who could deliver.

Does he now have his tools?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Does he now have his tools?

Depends on the goaltending and if he can find 4 reliable D.  People need to remember that Lindy is flexible.  He went to the Conference finals rolling 4 lines and went to the Cup Finals with a bunch of grinders and the best goalie ever.  

The common thread was he coached the 2 best goalies in Sabres history in Miller and Hasek.

Right now the team is half and half; 6 scorers and 6 grinders up front.  Not sure what the defense is, but UPL is the key.  If he plays well, Ruff will find something that works.

A quick note on Lindy and the D.  https://www.naturalstattrick.com/pairings.php?fromseason=20072008&thruseason=20072008&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=BUF&loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410

If you look at 07/08, the oldest season the site has data on, this is how Lindy deployed the D

1.  Lydman Tallinder 991:38 minutes

2. Soupy & Spacek 758:03 minutes

3. Pratt & Paetsch 304:06 minutes

That’s huge drop off.  It will be interesting to see what other 2 D, besides Power and Dahlin, Ruff believes in.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Depends on the goaltending and if he can find 4 reliable D.  People need to remember that Lindy is flexible.  He went to the Conference finals rolling 4 lines and went to the Cup Finals with a bunch of grinders and the best goalie ever.  

The common thread was he coached the 2 best goalies in Sabres history in Miller and Hasek.

Right now the team is half and half; 6 scorers and 6 grinders up front.  Not sure what the defense is, but UPL is the key.  If he plays well, Ruff will find something that works.

A quick note on Lindy and the D.  https://www.naturalstattrick.com/pairings.php?fromseason=20072008&thruseason=20072008&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=BUF&loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410

If you look at 07/08, the oldest season the site has data on, this is how Lindy deployed the D

That’s huge drop off.  It will be interesting to see what other 2 D, besides Power and Dahlin, Ruff believes in.

From memory, but I believe previously, with Numminen McKee and Kalinin instead of 2 plugs and Spacek the players were deployed much more equally.

From recent research, Ruff played 5 guys almost equally in New Jersey in his Jack Adams finalist season -about 20 minutes each, wth the number 6 way back.

I think Lindy will work with what he’s got.

I also think people should stop thinking in terms of “1st, 2nd and 3rd pairs, because I don’t think Lindy will be lining them up and rolling them over that way; he will be changing them up from game to game and inside games as situations demand.

Personally, I think he’s got a very good top 4 that he’ll mix and match and use a ton and slide the others in as they fit best.

I’ve also come to realize Gilbert might be in the lineup a lot more than people anticipate because he supplies qualities Lindy will want that the others don’t have.

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

From memory, but I believe previously, with Numminen McKee and Kalinin instead of 2 plugs and Spacek the players were deployed much more equally.

From recent research, Ruff played 5 guys almost equally in New Jersey in his Jack Adams finalist season -about 20 minutes each, wth the number 6 way back.

I think Lindy will work with what he’s got.

I also think people should stop thinking in terms of “1st, 2nd and 3rd pairs, because I don’t think Lindy will be lining them up and rolling them over that way; he will be changing them up from game to game and inside games as situations demand.

Personally, I think he’s got a very good top 4 that he’ll mix and match and use a ton and slide the others in as they fit best.

I’ve also come to realize Gilbert might be in the lineup a lot more than people anticipate because he supplies qualities Lindy will want that the others don’t have.

And, again, Ruff has said flat out that Dahlin will have multiple partners IN GAME.  The 2 he specifically mentioned were Power & Samuelsson.

Personally expect Dahlin getting 24+ minutes/night primarily w/ Samuelsson but late in periods & towards the end of shifts w/ Power as expect Owen will be getting ~23 minutes/ night.  Expecting Muel at or just under 20 and Byram getting similar usage.  Putting whichever 2 of Clifton, Jokiharju, & Gilbert dressing getting 14-16 each.  (Could see Gilbert getting significantly less most nights he dresses, but don't have a good feel for how often that'd be should everyone be healthy.)

And on nights when the Sabres are home & the opponent has only 1 line, could see Ras & Owen together more often in game.

Will be interesting seeing what combos Ruff comes up w/.  He is definitely from the Bowman school of player utilization. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Speaking of lineup stuff, around here Dylan Cozens gets roasted constantly for not being a #2 center. I also some say things about Detroit being ahead of Buffalo.

Both of these might be true but I just want to toss out that Detroit's #2 center is JT Compher who had 19g, 29a, 48pts last year. Cozens 18g, 29a, 47pts. Compher is 29 and Cozens is 23. Maybe we aren't so poor at 2c as we think, especially when I think last years Cozens wasn't the real version. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Speaking of lineup stuff, around here Dylan Cozens gets roasted constantly for not being a #2 center. I also some say things about Detroit being ahead of Buffalo.

Both of these might be true but I just want to toss out that Detroit's #2 center is JT Compher who had 19g, 29a, 48pts last year. Cozens 18g, 29a, 47pts. Compher is 29 and Cozens is 23. Maybe we aren't so poor at 2c as we think, especially when I think last years Cozens wasn't the real version. 

I think World Championships Cozens is who we will see and I think Ruff and Appert will do wonders for Cozens.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I think World Championships Cozens is who we will see and I think Ruff and Appert will do wonders for Cozens.

Maybe I’ve got rose-coloured glasses, or put too much emphasis on watching Team Canada, but I’m a little surprised at how much last season has soured people on Cozens.

I’ve seen him be one of the best players on too many good teams to convince myself last year is what he is.

I guess it’s also why I feel the way I do about Byram: way too much emphasis being placed on last season over the skill set and the body of work.

Wholeheartedly agree with the idea that these guys bring a fast, hard and competitive Western League approach that’s a perfect fit for Lindy Ruff hockey.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Maybe I’ve got rose-coloured glasses, or put too much emphasis on watching Team Canada, but I’m a little surprised at how much last season has soured people on Cozens.

I’ve seen him be one of the best players on too many good teams to convince myself last year is what he is.

I guess it’s also why I feel the way I do about Byram: way too much emphasis being placed on last season over the skill set and the body of work.

Wholeheartedly agree with the idea that these guys bring a fast, hard and competitive Western League approach that’s a perfect fit for Lindy Ruff hockey.

I strongly believe that the reconstitution of the lower two lines will have a positive effect on our two top lines. (As you and many others have already said.) It seemed to me that last season Cozens had tried to take on an added role of being an enforcer instead of simply playing his normal game. It's both a criticism of him and also a tribute to him that he was willing to take on a greater responsibility than he should have had. I remember when he took the initiative to instigate a fight in order to arouse his mates. He ended up getting his faced smashed in by a palooka, resulting in his play falter because he was hurt. With the new lineup and with Lindy behind the bench he should be in a better position to thrive as a player. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You can look at how he deployed guys in NJ 2 years ago (his last full season there with a 112 point team).  And yes, some here will argue the success they had was less Ruff and more his assistants. I personally disagree with that but even if it is true, its likely Ruff had more input into ice time when behind the bench:

His top pair D had about 21 minutes per game. Dougie Hamilton, his best D-man, was averaging in the mid 21 min range. 2nd pair guys around 19 minutes. 3rd pair guys (Ryan Graves and Brendan Smith) still typically 15-18 minutes per game.  He spread his D-minutes out. As a reminder, Dahlin last year got almost 25 and a half minutes per game, Power was over 22 per game.

Forwards? Jack Hughes was clearly at the top of the list. 43 goals, 99 points (would have had over 100 had he not missed a few games), yet he averaged under 20 minutes per game. Hischier also just above 19 minutes. Timo Meier?  just over 17 minutes. He seemed to have spread it out better than what we have been used to here for a while now.

14 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

You can look at how he deployed guys in NJ 2 years ago (his last full season there with a 112 point team).  And yes, some here will argue the success they had was less Ruff and more his assistants. I personally disagree with that but even if it is true, its likely Ruff had more input into ice time when behind the bench:

His top pair D had about 21 minutes per game. Dougie Hamilton, his best D-man, was averaging in the mid 21 min range. 2nd pair guys around 19 minutes. 3rd pair guys (Ryan Graves and Brendan Smith) still typically 15-18 minutes per game.  He spread his D-minutes out. As a reminder, Dahlin last year got almost 25 and a half minutes per game, Power was over 22 per game.

Forwards? Jack Hughes was clearly at the top of the list. 43 goals, 99 points (would have had over 100 had he not missed a few games), yet he averaged under 20 minutes per game. Hischier also just above 19 minutes. Timo Meier?  just over 17 minutes. He seemed to have spread it out better than what we have been used to here for a while now.

I looked at Ruff's term with the Sabres, Dallas and NJ and there isn't really a pattern to how he deploys his D.  I've seen seasons where all 6 D played a similar amount to seasons where 4 D dominated the PT to ones were one guy dominated.  I was looking as you were to see how he might deploy the 6 we have.  The only conclusion I can draw it that Dahlin will probably play the same 25 minutes a night.  I suspect Power will also play 21 to 22 as he did last year.  I hope Ruff encourages the big man  After that I think Ruff will see how it goes.  

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I could be accused of saying that Cozens in not a 2C because I wanted the Sabres to make a splash and get a 2C that can move Cozens to 3C.  Why? 

1.  Because of the way Lindy mixes and matches lines, the 2nd and 3rd lines could end up being more balanced, and

2.  I do not want to hand 3C or even 4C to Krebs.   He still might improve, but he did not earn 3C yet.  

Back to Cozens, everything about last year was bad from the very start and he was one of the guys that took it hard and his play was impacted by it.  He has another year under his belt and I expect that he gets back on track.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Lost a little bit in the Cozens analysis is that the two players he has played by far the most with the last two seasons are Peterka and Quinn and last year when Quinn was out it was Benson.  Meaning our sub-23 year old 2nd line centre spent most of the last two seasons playing with 3 players younger than him, none of whom has come close yet to reaching the player that they are projected to be. Cozens doesn't get to play with Tuch. 

I'm not worried about Cozens.  I am worried that he will get Quinn and Benson as his wingers this year.  I like both, but Cozens is ready to take the next step I think and I'm not sure Quinn and Benson are quite in that category yet (one of them sure, but both is asking a lot).  Maybe it will be Zucker on one of the wings.  Not sure that is a great option either.  I think it if were up to me I would put Benson with Tuch and Thompson and reunite Cozens with Peterka and Quinn.  

21 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I could be accused of saying that Cozens in not a 2C because I wanted the Sabres to make a splash and get a 2C that can move Cozens to 3C.  Why? 

1.  Because of the way Lindy mixes and matches lines, the 2nd and 3rd lines could end up being more balanced, and

2.  I do not want to hand 3C or even 4C to Krebs.   He still might improve, but he did not earn 3C yet.  

Back to Cozens, everything about last year was bad from the very start and he was one of the guys that took it hard and his play was impacted by it.  He has another year under his belt and I expect that he gets back on track.  

It might make more sense to add a second line winger than it would be to add a 2/3 C. Would a Zegress, Farabee or whoever be a better course of action to take? Adding a genuine second line forward to the mix would also upgrade the third line. The speculation about Zegress and Farabee might suggest that is also what the GM is considering. 

21 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Lost a little bit in the Cozens analysis is that the two players he has played by far the most with the last two seasons are Peterka and Quinn and last year when Quinn was out it was Benson.  Meaning our sub-23 year old 2nd line centre spent most of the last two seasons playing with 3 players younger than him, none of whom has come close yet to reaching the player that they are projected to be. Cozens doesn't get to play with Tuch. 

I'm not worried about Cozens.  I am worried that he will get Quinn and Benson as his wingers this year.  I like both, but Cozens is ready to take the next step I think and I'm not sure Quinn and Benson are quite in that category yet (one of them sure, but both is asking a lot).  Maybe it will be Zucker on one of the wings.  Not sure that is a great option either.  I think it if were up to me I would put Benson with Tuch and Thompson and reunite Cozens with Peterka and Quinn.  

I have never disagreed with something so much... today at least... than this post. Jack Quinn is already producing more than Peterka in terms of pts per game and in terms of pts/60. Suggesting that Cozens wasn't good because he had to drag Quinn around the ice is just hogwash and Quinn will be taking a big step because he already took it. Benson, you could put Benson next to a drunken Mikhail Grigorenko and Benson would be just fine. Your hinting at that Cozens has had to do the heavy lifting and isn't lucky enough to play with veteran Alex Tuch. Cozens is also getting the 2nd defense pairing most nights while Tage and Tuch take on teams #1.

Also let us discuss this bolded part. Last year is what I will focus on. 

In 2023-24 Dylan Cozens played 67mins at 5v5 with Benson and Quinn. It is barely enough to even use the stats but their xGF% is 54.14 which is pretty solid. CF% was 48.89, less good for sure. Now Cozens with Benson comes out at 54.42cf% and 51.24xGF%, not awful but you can see there is drop when Quinn isn't that 3rd winger. Let's check on Quinn with Cozens and no Benson, we get 51.53cf% and a 53.76xGF% so again we see a bit of a dip in xgf but a slightly better corsi. My point being that Dylan Cozens hasn't been pulled down by his linemates. Quinn and Benson have been pretty good and reliable for him. Quinn and Peterka even more so because in 23-24 that line combined for 127minutes and a 52.08cf% and a 57.76xGF%. You are implying that Cozens has to prop these players up because they haven't reached their full potential but Jack Quinn is already better than Peterka and Cozens immediately looked better about Quinn's return (Adams should sign Quinn now, right now IMO). Benson didn't get a lot of counting stats, he got 0 PP time which is a main reason why, but he was perfectly able to be a middle 6 winger last year and at the end of the year when he did play with Cozens, he was pretty good. 

I don't understand your worry at all. Jack Quinn is a top 6 winger and barring injury (yea yea ik) is going to be a player taking that next step. Zach Benson eats nails and pees napalm while running carnival rides in the desolate wastelands of post-apocalyptic Canada. I would be absolutely floored if he didn't make a jump in points this season. Either way, Cozens is running with two wingers that play 200ft games, are very intelligent, have excellent tools, and importantly are very good checkers. I suppose I could be quibbling over "that next step" but Quinn took it, ppl just haven't realized it yet and Benson not taking it would be a bit surprising and he can be bumped out by Zucker or Kulich or Peterka as needed. In the end, I think Cozens has the wingers necessary to survive and take whatever his next step will be. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

It might make more sense to add a second line winger than it would be to add a 2/3 C. Would a Zegress, Farabee or whoever be a better course of action to take? Adding a genuine second line forward to the mix would also upgrade the third line. The speculation about Zegress and Farabee might suggest that is also what the GM is considering. 

Of course.  We added McLeod, I was referencing my thoughts before that that move was made because I did not want to see them hand 3C to Krebs. If he can win the job someday that is fine. 

Right now I think we are ok with Tage, Cozens, McLeod, Lafferty, and Krebs.  Adding a top 6 winger would also be good.  Both Zegras and Farabee are talented players, and both are in their teams respective dog houses.  Not sure about either of them to be honest.  

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I have never disagreed with something so much... today at least... than this post. Jack Quinn is already producing more than Peterka in terms of pts per game and in terms of pts/60. Suggesting that Cozens wasn't good because he had to drag Quinn around the ice is just hogwash and Quinn will be taking a big step because he already took it. Benson, you could put Benson next to a drunken Mikhail Grigorenko and Benson would be just fine. Your hinting at that Cozens has had to do the heavy lifting and isn't lucky enough to play with veteran Alex Tuch. Cozens is also getting the 2nd defense pairing most nights while Tage and Tuch take on teams #1.

Also let us discuss this bolded part. Last year is what I will focus on. 

In 2023-24 Dylan Cozens played 67mins at 5v5 with Benson and Quinn. It is barely enough to even use the stats but their xGF% is 54.14 which is pretty solid. CF% was 48.89, less good for sure. Now Cozens with Benson comes out at 54.42cf% and 51.24xGF%, not awful but you can see there is drop when Quinn isn't that 3rd winger. Let's check on Quinn with Cozens and no Benson, we get 51.53cf% and a 53.76xGF% so again we see a bit of a dip in xgf but a slightly better corsi. My point being that Dylan Cozens hasn't been pulled down by his linemates. Quinn and Benson have been pretty good and reliable for him. Quinn and Peterka even more so because in 23-24 that line combined for 127minutes and a 52.08cf% and a 57.76xGF%. You are implying that Cozens has to prop these players up because they haven't reached their full potential but Jack Quinn is already better than Peterka and Cozens immediately looked better about Quinn's return (Adams should sign Quinn now, right now IMO). Benson didn't get a lot of counting stats, he got 0 PP time which is a main reason why, but he was perfectly able to be a middle 6 winger last year and at the end of the year when he did play with Cozens, he was pretty good. 

I don't understand your worry at all. Jack Quinn is a top 6 winger and barring injury (yea yea ik) is going to be a player taking that next step. Zach Benson eats nails and pees napalm while running carnival rides in the desolate wastelands of post-apocalyptic Canada. I would be absolutely floored if he didn't make a jump in points this season. Either way, Cozens is running with two wingers that play 200ft games, are very intelligent, have excellent tools, and importantly are very good checkers. I suppose I could be quibbling over "that next step" but Quinn took it, ppl just haven't realized it yet and Benson not taking it would be a bit surprising and he can be bumped out by Zucker or Kulich or Peterka as needed. In the end, I think Cozens has the wingers necessary to survive and take whatever his next step will be. 

Hmmm. Never said Cozens wasn’t good or that Quinn and Benson were bad and certainly never said anyone was dragging anyone else around the ice. I did say our young-not-yet-fully-formed 2nd line centre has played the majority of the last two years with also very young-not-yet-fully-formed wingers. I think it stands to reason that he (and the wingers in question for that matter, but the topic was Cozens) would have benefited from playing with talented more experienced players.

There are not a lot of playoff teams featuring 2nd lines with an average age of 20 or 21. 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I looked at Ruff's term with the Sabres, Dallas and NJ and there isn't really a pattern to how he deploys his D.  I've seen seasons where all 6 D played a similar amount to seasons where 4 D dominated the PT to ones were one guy dominated.  I was looking as you were to see how he might deploy the 6 we have.  The only conclusion I can draw it that Dahlin will probably play the same 25 minutes a night.  I suspect Power will also play 21 to 22 as he did last year.  I hope Ruff encourages the big man  After that I think Ruff will see how it goes.  

The only consistency to how Ruff uses his players is he looks at what THEIR strengths are and determines a system that will work for them.  He doesn't have a set philosophy for how to play other than, the system needs to suit the players he has, he can't force them into the system. 

There is no consistency to whether he runs even D deployment or not; whether he's rolling 4 lines or 3 with an energy line filling in; running 1 goalie until he drops or a more even split of the goalies.

So, considering what we have in Buffalo, would expect Dahlin will be far and away the most played skater, UPL will get about 55 games if he can handle that, and there will be a bit of a rolling 4 lines mojo.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No reason to invest in a whole new fast and physical 4th line if Ruff didn't intend to use it.

That line will be playing legit minutes.  But would be surprised if they're averaging nearly 15 minutes per man especially if the "3rd line" is also playing close to that.  (Thus using the phrase you took exception to.)

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That line will be playing legit minutes.  But would be surprised if they're averaging nearly 15 minutes per man especially if the "3rd line" is also playing close to that.  (Thus using the phrase you took exception to.)

I don't think either our 3rd or 4th lines will be seeing more than 10 minutes at EV.  This lineup is top heavy scoring wise and they'll get the minutes.  

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't think either our 3rd or 4th lines will be seeing more than 10 minutes at EV.  This lineup is top heavy scoring wise and they'll get the minutes.  

Counselor, you appear to be arguing for the point of arguing.  Paraphrasing you 'they are going to roll 4 lines, the proof being they paid ~$4MM for the 4th line' but also 'no way will the bottom lines get used a lot.'  Which from this perspective looks an AWFUL LOT like 'there will be a bit of a rolling 4 lines mojo.'