Off-season Game Plan 2024

Posted (edited)

My guess is Adams is now done unless a major injury occurs.

5/6 of his top 6 is probably written in ink. (TNT, Cozens, Tuch, Quinn and JJP)

Camp battles for a 2nd line winger and both 3rd line wingers (Greenway, Benson, Zucker)

Camp battle for the 3C job with McLeod the heavy favorite (Krebs and Lafferty also competing)

Aube-Kubel, Malenstyn, Lafferty, and Krebs fighting for the last 3 starting forward jobs.   

If Kubel, Malenstyn and Lafferty comprise the 4th line, I'd be tempted to call them the Malachi Brothers.

On defense the only pairing certainty is Dahlin anchoring the top pair.  After that we are going to Lindy play mix and match with Power, Byram, Mule, Clifton and Joki.

Gilbert and Bryson likely make the team as 7 & 8, but I could see Clague beating out Bryson for the 8th slot.

In goal UPL will be in the NHL.  Will Levi need to be sent down opening the door for Reimer to win the backup job?  

Right now Adams was 11 forward under contract with 2 pending RFAs, 10 D (Johnson and Clague to the other 2 ) and 3 goalies.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My guess is Adams is now done unless a major injury occurs.

I think this is correct. It took a 9OA - presumably a top prospect - to bring back a 3C (and an AHLer).

What would it take to get a top-6 forward? An unprotected 1st in 2025 would presumably be part of the package. The price is likely too dear for Adams.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I think this is correct. It took a 9OA - presumably a top prospect - to bring back a 3C (and an AHLer).

What would it take to get a top-6 forward? An unprotected 1st in 2025 would presumably be part of the package. The price is likely too dear for Adams.

Depends on the player and their contract. It also depends on what you consider a top 6 forward.  What would it cost to get Ehlers from Wpg vs Iafallo from them.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The way I see it, there is washout potential with Savoie, and if he doesn’t wash, his most likely projection is 2nd line wing.  Is a 3C = 2nd line wing?  I think given the prospects we still have, yes that is good value.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I like Savoie a lot but he wasn’t helping the Sabres get to the playoffs this season.

His ceiling is higher than McLeod’s but that may be 4-5 years away. McLeod’s current ability is what the Sabres need and if he gets a bump in production, great.

Savoie could be Brayden Point but he could also be Nic Petan.

My guess is Edmonton wanted him as the local boy, WHL star and for the ceiling that his draft status hints at.

I think there’s a good chance for a trade for a top 6 winger. Because of Numbers, it would probably have to include one or two guys from our nhl roster - greenway, Krebs, joker….

the top 6 is one short (I don’t view Zucker as top 6 yet and relying on Benson or kulich in the top 6 is asking too much). We’re one injury away in the top 6 of being really screwed and Quinn, tage and Tuch have had injuries.

pat Kane would have been a perfect add. I think we need one more trade for a top 6. Think something like Krebs, Rosen, 2015 1st for ehlers. Probably takes more than that to get him though.

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If Kubel, Malenstyn and Lafferty comprise the 4th line, I'd be tempted to call them the Malachi Brothers.

Confused Kid Cudi GIF by Apple Music

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Gilbert and Bryson likely make the team as 7 & 8, but I could see Clague beating out Bryson for the 8th slot.

I think Bryson's game is more complete than Clague's.  He logged a lot of minutes late last season and was rarely winceworthy.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

https://puckgm.puckpedia.com/rosters/4779

Here's my most recent idea

I think that move helps. Colton can play C if needed.

We know the Avs have seen Greenway a lot and they get a cap reduction.

52 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@Doohickie Malachi Brothers - Happy Days TV Show

With a finishing move worthy of a wrestling name, The Malachi Crunch.

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why would Colorado trade Colton and why would Colton, with a full NTC, waive it to come to Buffalo?  

Supposedly he's on the market and has been most of the summer due to cap issues. 

I'm unsure as to how or why but I've seen his name brought up all summer

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Depends on the player and their contract. It also depends on what you consider a top 6 forward.  What would it cost to get Ehlers from Wpg vs Iafallo from them.

Is Iafallo a top six player? 

According to Chad's article, Ehlers isn't going to be traded by WPG. Effectively they've been doing the same thing with him that they did with Hellebuyck and Schieffle of marketing him for trade and then asking absurd demands.

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Is Iafallo a top six player? 

Not really, he's a solid 3W

• Thanks (+1) 1

From Chad DeDominicis Latest Article

Mentioned Savoie was the prospect the Sabres were shopping. 
Other teams wanted other prospects including Anton Wahlberg. 

There was another deal in place at the draft that fell apart involving Savoie. 

He believes Adams waits to see if the prices go down for wingers in the trade market.

Savoie was mentioned as a piece in the Ehlers Trade Discussions.

He also mentioned Zegras and the fact Philadelphia hasn’t moved a forward yet. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Wouldn't at all be surprised if there is 1 or 2 more moves.  (For the mythical 2W & a potential upgrade of Jokiharju's slot.  With the former seeming to be far more likely than the latter.)  Won't have money on it, but it's still quite realistically possible.

2 nice thing though are: 1. if he can't swing another trade, they at least do have a full roster of 20 players that seem to be slotted properly (or close to it (not sure there's 2 true 3/4's on this team, but there are at least 4 4/5's on the roster & they have Dahlin which can make that work)) and that helps cut down tremendously on how much luck they need to make the playoffs (they still need luck, but they don't have to roll 5 consecutive 3's to be in the running); and 2. because of that, this board will very likely be readable over the summer.  (A couple of days ago, not so sure that was going to be the case.)