Off-season Game Plan 2024

47 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Adams is gonna trade 11 for Nic Dowd and act like it's good, isn't he?

Washington’s roster is not great.

The only players that I could see being options would be Dowd, Jensen and long shot Wilson. Wilson’s contract is not pretty unless it is swapped for Skinner’s but even then.

24 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

24 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Not held their draft value in which way?

If these players were dropped into the draft on Friday, they would go lower than where they were taken in their draft years. 

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

If these players were dropped into the draft on Friday, they would go lower than where they were taken in their draft years. 

While I’m no draft expert, Savoie is killing Junior.  He is clearly the highest point per game player the WHL (regular season and playoffs).  He is scoring over 2 PPG and about 24% higher than Catton, who is being discussed in top 8 this year.  Rosen, probably not, based probably on strength of class. Is there any player drafted after Rose, outside Wyatt Johnson in ‘22 holding value?  Hard to say unless you see them daily.  None of them seem to be making enough hay to play in the NHL.  

3 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

While I’m no draft expert, Savoie is killing Junior.  He is clearly the highest point per game player the WHL (regular season and playoffs).  He is scoring over 2 PPG and about 24% higher than Catton, who is being discussed in top 8 this year.  Rosen, probably not, based probably on strength of class. Is there any player drafted after Rose, outside Wyatt Johnson in ‘22 holding value?  Hard to say unless you see them daily.  None of them seem to be making enough hay to play in the NHL.  

I’m no expert either. I think Wheeler and Pronman are correct though that our 1st rd pick would be viewed as a more valuable asset than any of our prospects. Savoie had a great regular season. He was 19 though (not 17, like Catton). Also, I think Savoie’s performance against tougher competition may hurt his value a bit. He had a poor World Juniors, his playoff production dropped this year v last year and he did not have a strong Mem Cup tournament. I’m not personally down on Savoie, but I think it is fair to say his value has slipped. 

• Like (+1) 1

Athletic has the Sabres as one of the 7 most interesting situations to watch this off-season, citing the drought, the asset base, Adams open willingness to make deals and his job security,

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5579546/2024/06/23/nhl-marner-trade-goalies-free-agents/

All the signs are there for the Sabres to be big players and yet there’s still a pathway for an underwhelmingly quiet offseason. It isn’t always easy attracting top free agents to Buffalo and while you’d expect them to be aggressive in exploring the trade market, sometimes the prices don’t make sense or you simply strike out. In any case, there will be a ton of pressure on Adams to position the club to battle for a playoff spot next season.

Senators, Utah, the goalie market, the centre market, Marner and Carolina are the others.

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

The hate for Rosen as a prospect is mind blowing to me. The kid is a good hockey player with tremendous wheels.  Needs to pack some more bulk on still to take the next step.

Who's hating? Anyways I think he's likely the prospect that gets traded in a package for help 

The hate for Rosen as a prospect is mind blowing to me. The kid is a good hockey player with tremendous wheels.  Needs to pack some more bulk on still to take the next step.

No hate here, but I’m not sure he has a future in Buffalo.  He’s not a traditional energy guy.  He doesn’t have top 6 potential given the skill and age we have already.   It really comes down to timeline for team success.  I don’t think the Sabres can afford to wait for him to evolve into an NHLer.  Maybe he gets an opportunity on a team that doesn’t have current playoff ambitions and can let him develop in a sheltered role so he can claw out a career.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/22/2024 at 9:36 AM, JohnC said:

The GM hasn't made any transactions yet. So why be so dour about what you expect him to do? Your zealotry about Krebs and Joki is perplexing. Whether either of them or both of them stays or go will not have a major bearing on how the team does. So why gets so frenzied over marginal issues? How is the GM going to handle this offseason regarding the reworking of this roster, especially the bottom portion? I don't know. I respectfully recommend you wait a little longer before you unload your fuselage of criticisms for actions that may or may not happen. It wasn't that long ago when you were insistent that Mitts and UPL were lost causes and should be summarily dispatched. You were wrong. Very often patience is a virtue.

Are you really saying that replacing Krebs and Joker with better players will not make the team better?  

One way to improving a team is by replacing lesser players with better ones.  

What is Joker?  Is he really helping Power on the 2nd pair?  He seems like a third pair guy on a good team.  A 6/7 guy on a strong team.  

What is Krebs?   He did not impress in his opportunity as a 3C because he did not create much at all.   He is "ok for his age" as a 4C.  Lindy wants a shutdown line, and guy that can win key defensive zone faceoffs.   That is not Krebs right now, maybe its Krebs when he is 27 years old?   Should we wait on a 4th line player? 

These are two guys that should be pretty easy to improve upon if you want to win now. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Are you really saying that replacing Krebs and Joker with better players will not make the team better?  

One way to improving a team is by replacing lesser players with better ones.  

What is Joker?  Is he really helping Power on the 2nd pair?  He seems like a third pair guy on a good team.  A 6/7 guy on a strong team.  

What is Krebs?   He did not impress in his opportunity as a 3C because he did not create much at all.   He is "ok for his age" as a 4C.  Lindy wants a shutdown line, and guy that can win key defensive zone faceoffs.   That is not Krebs right now, maybe its Krebs when he is 27 years old?   Should we wait on a 4th line player? 

These are two guys that should be pretty easy to improve upon if you want to win now. 

No, I'm not saying what you think I said. Of course, if you can get better players at a reasonable, if not better, price, they should do so. I would extend that line of thinking for any player on the roster. If you can get a better player at a similar or lesser price, then get the better player. 

For fun here is what a poster on another board posted tonight. I don’t know if he has any sources so I put no stock in this other then it is fun for discussion. Matt Roy would be a great fit for Power.

“Just some info I got I’ll share- I don’t know if any of it will come true but whatever 

Skinner is gone.  I heard a while ago Skinner actually wants out. It’s mutual him leaving

Jokiharju is gone 

Krebs is most likely gone 

Johnson will probably be used in a trade

Östlund is the prospect they are trying to push on teams but if teams demand Savoie they will do it. Kulich is going no where and they like Rosen as a depth piece. 

Expect them to make a push for a high end UFA - I’m guessing Kane or Debrusk 

Matt Roy will also be high on their list. 

They’re gonna add a banger. It’s a forgone conclusion.”

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

For fun here is what a poster on another board posted tonight. I don’t know if he has any sources so I put no stock in this other then it is fun for discussion. Matt Roy would be a great fit for Power.

“Just some info I got I’ll share- I don’t know if any of it will come true but whatever 

Skinner is gone.  I heard a while ago Skinner actually wants out. It’s mutual him leaving

Jokiharju is gone 

Östlund is the prospect they are trying to push on teams but if teams demand Savoie they will do it. Kulich is going no where and they like Rosen as a depth piece. 

DeBrusk is definitely not what we need. While at times he is elite, he's a streaky player who goes cold for long stretches and kind of pouts and quits at times. This is why I think the Bruins have kept their offer on the lower side and it's a red flag. Not a guy I'd spend big bucks on and it'll take big bucks to get him. 

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Didn’t Adams say in the presser he is trying to re-sign both guys?

Would you be interested in trading with Washington for Dylan Strome? Maybe cost you a #1, Savoie and Krebs or Joki? 

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Jokiharju is gone 

This all right here doesn't get me excited for next season. 

When they hell are they going to make a impact move 

33 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Would you be interested in trading with Washington for Dylan Strome? Maybe cost you a #1, Savoie and Krebs or Joki? 

For strome ? No 

Edited by Buffalonill

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I’d be glad to have Strome as our 2/3 C but not way I’m giving up that much for him. Maybe something like Rosen and Joker(or Krebs) and a 2nd but for him I’m not giving up #11 or Savoie

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Nice player but I don’t think he plays with the tempo they are looking for.  Be also is very good defensively or physical.  

8 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

I’d be glad to have Strome as our 2/3 C but not way I’m giving up that much for him. Maybe something like Rosen and Joker(or Krebs) and a 2nd but for him I’m not giving up #11 or Savoie

For a 2/3 C you will have to give up more than you are indicating. For a 3C, I agree with you that it would be too much. Strome is more of a 1/2 C. If available, he's not going to be cheap. 

Chad’s final offseason mock has these moves 

Sabres acquire Joel Farabee and 31/32nd overall from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for Peyton Krebs and 11th overall

Sabres acquire Nic Dowd, Nick Jensen, and 52nd overall from the Washington Capitals in exchange for Henri Jokiharju, 43rd overall, and a 2025 third-round pick

UFA Signings 

Teddy Blueger | C | two years, $2 million

Warren Foegele | F | four years, $4.25 million

50 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Sabres acquire Joel Farabee and 31/32nd overall from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for Peyton Krebs and 11th overall

Sabres acquire Nic Dowd, Nick Jensen, and 52nd overall from the Washington Capitals in exchange for Henri Jokiharju, 43rd overall, and a 2025 third-round pick

UFA Signings 

I like the two bolded moves, dislike the other two.

Farabee doesn't impress me in the slightest

Foegele strikes me as a playoff darling this year that will be overpaid

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I like the two bolded moves, dislike the other two.

Farabee doesn't impress me in the slightest

Foegele strikes me as a playoff darling this year that will be overpaid

Agree on 3 of your 4 views.

- I would be good with the Washington deal. I think if we really wanted to make this happen then we should just make it Dowd and Jensen for Joker and a 2nd. Not sure if the Caps been do that as it doesn’t make them a better team now. 

- The Blueger deal would be good. 

- Don’t understand the Farabee deal. 

- My one difference from you is on Foegele. I think he is just a really good middle six glue player.  I think he is like pre-Oilers Hyman. Not saying he is going to become a 50 goal scorer (not close), but I think he can play higher in the line-up and that there is more offence coming. 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

UFA Signings 

This isn't big enough IMO

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

UFA Signings 

Nothing like missing the playoffs again. 

Yikes

What is the obsession with Farabee? 
I just don’t see it.

The Fourth Period site has the Sabres listed as interested in Zegras.

Imagine them buying out Skinner and then bringing in a young Skinner😄 He would drive Lindy nuts

Pretty easy adams loves bring players that have ties to buffalo 

Edited by Buffalonill