Off-season Game Plan 2024

52 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Does anyone  really think Pronman went around to a bunch of NHL teams and asked them what they thought of Savoie’s trade value?

How does that conversation go.  “Hi this is Corey, I know you’re busy right now, but can you tell me what you think of the Sabres’ prospect Matt Savoie?”

17 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Would anyone be ok giving up the 11th for him he's already AHL ready so we're basically speeding up the draft process so he can get to the NHL faster 

Depends on what other moves are made. In general sure, but not necessarily with Savoie, Rosen and Kulich already in the system.  Trade a couple of those 3 prospects and I definitely consider making the deal for McGroarty.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Depends on what other moves are made. In general sure, but not necessarily with Savoie, Rosen and Kulich already in the system.  Trade a couple of those 3 prospects and I definitely consider making the deal for McGroarty.

How good is McCroarty? Where would he rate in our prospect pool? 

49 minutes ago, JohnC said:

How good is McCroarty? Where would he rate in our prospect pool? 

He was picked after Savoie, before Kulich and right around Östlund.

Preference would be in the eye of the beholder, but generally speaking they are on a similar tier if you’re talking generic value.

He is slower and stronger than any of them.

Edited by dudacek

One of the reported reasons McGroarty wants out of Winnipeg is they would not guarantee him NHL Time next season. He feels he is ready for the NHL, the Jets do not necessarily feel the same way. 

I think he would be a great addition to the Sabres Organization, but he cannot be guaranteed a spot on the Sabres 23 man roster either. So unless he agrees to AHL here, which is unlikely, I do not see a fit 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He was picked after Savoie, before Kulich and right around Östlund.

Preference would be in the eye of the beholder, but generally speaking they are on a similar tier if you’re lacking generic value.

He is slower and stronger than any of them.

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

One of the reported reasons McGroarty wants out of Winnipeg is they would not guarantee him NHL Time next season. He feels he is ready for the NHL, the Jets do not necessarily feel the same way. 

I think he would be a great addition to the Sabres Organization, but he cannot be guaranteed a spot on the Sabres 23 man roster either. So unless he agrees to AHL here, which is unlikely, I do not see a fit 

Thanks for both of your responses. Based on @Brawndo's comment that he wants to be assured of a NHL roster spot, I would say no thanks. I would rather use our first-round pick as an asset to be parlayed for a NHL ready player. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Poor kid pitched his hissy 1 year too late.  Sabres were all in on not blocking prospects until a few weeks ago.  😉 

• Haha (+1) 1

A quick side note Amerks HC Mike Leone was McGroarty’s Assistant Coach at the USNTDP for the two seasons that McGroarty was there. Maybe there is a slight chance that he agrees to Rochester for a season as there is familiarity. 

I would do that deal. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

A quick side note Amerks HC Mike Leone was McGroarty’s Assistant Coach at the USNTDP for the two seasons that McGroarty was there. Maybe there is a slight chance that he agrees to Rochester for a season as there is familiarity. 

I would do that deal. 

Good to know about Leone connection.

These are the issues to consider with that deal:

-Ehlers and Iafallo are both one year from ufa

-McGroary is pulling a Gauthier and wants NHL ice time immediately. If you make that deal and give in then Kulich and company all demand the same.

if you make that deal you might as well throw in Joker and trade for DeMelo’s ufa rights. Ehlers, Iaffalo, Demelo, McGroaty would solve a lot of the lineup holes.

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

-McGroary is pulling a Gauthier and wants NHL ice time immediately. If you make that deal and give in then Kulich and company all demand the same.

if you make that deal you might as well throw in Joker and trade for DeMelo’s ufa rights. Ehlers, Iaffalo, Demelo, McGroaty would solve a lot of the lineup holes.

They would have a season to convince Ehlers to sign an extension.

McGroarty would have to ok with Rochester for a season.

If Demelo would agree to a contract with the Sabres first, but sign me up for that if he does 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The obsession with calling these kids “leaders” before they’ve even joined the ranks of adulthood in seriousness is beyond me. It’s what they say about prospects when they need an intangible to round out their scouting profile. Brendan Lemieux Esque 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How does that conversation go.  “Hi this is Corey, I know you’re busy right now, but can you tell me what you think of the Sabres’ prospect Matt Savoie?”

Honestly I doubt he’s outright lying 

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

I’d give McGoaty a handful of games in the NHL, but if he’s not blowing it up, then he’d have to agree to go down to Rochester. Likewise, if Savoie has a great camp, he should also be promised some games, but with no guarantees beyond that. I don’t see any risk with that, but only that it could piss off some prospects already in the system. So, one would have to be on the way out. 

On the flip side, I’m not sure if we really need another near-NHL ready prospect. We may need one in 2-3 years though, so 11OA may be the safer bet. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Honestly I doubt he’s outright lying 

Probably not,  it’s more likely that in conversation they ranked Kulich and Östlund ahead of him, much like when Stl had Thomas, Kyrou and Thompson and Tage was the “3rd best.”

However, it was funny to image Pronman making the call as I described.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Justin C said:

Washington has had PLD for a week and is already sick of him. I’d only offer a 7th.

Hasn’t even been in the room and it’s infected.

You would think at some point he might think that he is the problem and work to correct it. Or he’s now content with guaranteed big money for the next 7 years.

15 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think Pronman has a network of NHL scouts who he speaks with regularly to get feedback on his evaluations and rankings and who do share their opinions with him on such things as this.  I also think that the assessment in that article that our prospects (specifically Savoie, Östlund and Rosen) have not held their draft value is correct.  That doesn't mean they hold no value, though.

30 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I think Pronman has a network of NHL scouts who he speaks with regularly to get feedback on his evaluations and rankings and who do share their opinions with him on such things as this.  I also think that the assessment in that article that our prospects (specifically Savoie, Östlund and Rosen) have not held their draft value is correct.  That doesn't mean they hold no value, though.

Not held their draft value in which way?