Off-season Game Plan 2024

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Really? I'd be surprised. 

If they are a bottom feeder he will want out and they might honour that request. He's a good leader to build around but unhappy players are not good for a rebuild. There was talk that his NTC included SJ but nothing he can do about being waived. 

I’ve mentioned this before, maybe no one will care as I’m not sure what kind of Sabres / Jays overlap there is but the similarities are FRIGHTENINGLY identical. Read this Twitter thread re: a defence of Atkins offseason for the Jays 

“The more I think about it, it’s not what Atkins didn’t do, it’s the declines of Thompson and Cozen….err Vladdy and Springer! Who even was there???

- - - 

this is the first tweet 

Edited by Thorny

11, Savoie, Östlund, Kulich, Rosen, Krebs, Jokiharju, Johnson.

I’m betting right now a package of two or more of those pieces is gone by the end of next week for a real centre ice man.

• Like (+1) 1

Adams has really gone out of his way to kiss the ***** of agents and players in order to make the Sabres a more attractive destination.

To me, it’s been an underrated long game strategy given the amount of clout agents have in steering players toward and away from certain situations.

It would be nice if they’ve finally seeded enough good will to harvest a return.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Adams has really gone out of his way to kiss the ***** of agents and players in order to make the Sabres a more attractive destination.

To me, it’s been an underrated long game strategy given the amount of clout agents have in steering players toward and away from certain situations.

It would be nice if they’ve finally seeded enough good will to harvest a return.

And for the 1st time since Murray got punted, July 1 might actually be fun.  Not expecting Adams to be making the biggest splashes that day (though still feel there's a legit chance he's going to pursue Kane hard) but do expect him to at least be in the pool that day.

That used to be one of my favorite days to be glued to NHL news (that and trade deadline day were always holidays on this side of the border for this kid) but it had become a ho-hum day at best or a day of dread at worst.  Now that it will be problematic to pay close attention that day for personal reasons, it'll probably be a lot of fun again.  (Here's to hoping at least.)

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

And for the 1st time since Murray got punted, July 1 might actually be fun.  Not expecting Adams to be making the biggest splashes that day (though still feel there's a legit chance he's going to pursue Kane hard) but do expect him to at least be in the pool that day.

That used to be one of my favorite days to be glued to NHL news (that and trade deadline day were always holidays on this side of the border for this kid) but it had become a ho-hum day at best or a day of dread at worst.  Now that it will be problematic to pay close attention that day for personal reasons, it'll probably be a lot of fun again.  (Here's to hoping at least.)

A Kane deal would rev up this somnolent fan base. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

11, Savoie, Östlund, Kulich, Rosen, Krebs, Jokiharju, Johnson.

I’m betting right now a package of two or more of those pieces is gone by the end of next week for a real centre ice man.

I hope so.....would Joki have to have a new deal first?

13 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I hope so.....would Joki have to have a new deal first?

Not necessarily.

I think adding a DeMelo or Roy as a partner for Power would do wonders for the backend.

Byram Dahlin

Power Roy/DeMelo

Muel Clifton

• Like (+1) 4

If they're truly thinking of buying out Skinner I'd definitely swing for the fences to bring in Brady Tkachuk. If that means we lose both Mathew Savoie and Isak Rosen to go along with the 11th overall this year and our 1st next year then get er done. His name wasn't just mentioned out of thin air so where there's smoke there's fire which means someone from the Senators front office is accepting calls for him. There should be nobody untouchable other than perhaps Dahlin from this roster.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

If they're truly thinking of buying out Skinner I'd definitely swing for the fences to bring in Brady Tkachuk. If that means we lose both Mathew Savoie and Isak Rosen to go along with the 11th overall this year and our 1st next year then get er done. His name wasn't just mentioned out of thin air so where there's smoke there's fire which means someone from the Senators front office is accepting calls for him. There should be nobody untouchable other than perhaps Dahlin from this roster.

Brady had 37 goals last year, 35 and 30 the years prior.   24 and the type of player this roster badly badly needs.

I'd be willing to part with the package you mentioned or more for him

Who knows, maybe he can convince his brother to be traded here in a few years too.....  

We would go from the softest team in the league to being absolutely hated haha 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Brady had 37 goals last year, 35 and 30 the years prior.   24 and the type of player this roster badly badly needs.

I'd be willing to part with the package you mentioned or more for him

Who knows, maybe he can convince his brother to be traded here in a few years too.....  

We would go from the softest team in the league to being absolutely hated haha 

He embodies all that we’re missing here. We have the picks and prospects to get it done imo but definitely difficult with a division rival.

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

A Kane deal would rev up this somnolent fan base. 

If the fan base is truly somnolent then they may lack the ability to be revved up, they would not be just sleeping on the team.  

I think much of the fan base is disgusted with the team, waiting for a turnaround, actually saying "show me", and meanwhile is focused on the Bills and Josh Allen.  

Kane is not the player that will fix a lot of things either.  He is good enough to play on this team, but they need more than Kane.  

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

I think the game plan is becoming clearer.  Buyout Skinner to make room for Savoie and then re-sign Krebs and Joki.  Another banner off-season by Kevyn Adams already in the works.  I forgot, trade down from 11 for an unknown package. I did suggest such a move earlier and now I’m ashamed.  Any idea that Adams agrees with is probably not a good idea.  I apologize.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

If the fan base is truly somnolent then they may lack the ability to be revved up, they would not be just sleeping on the team.  

I think much of the fan base is disgusted with the team, waiting for a turnaround, actually saying "show me", and meanwhile is focused on the Bills and Josh Allen.  

Kane is not the player that will fix a lot of things either.  He is good enough to play on this team, but they need more than Kane.  

You misread and over interpreted my post. 

15 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think the game plan is becoming clearer.  Buyout Skinner to make room for Savoie and then re-sign Krebs and Joki.  Another banner off-season by Kevyn Adams already in the works.  I forgot, trade down from 11 for an unknown package. I did suggest such a move earlier and now I’m ashamed.  Any idea that Adams agrees with is probably not a good idea.  I apologize.

You are working too hard to depress yourself. Take a chill pill and give yourself a lift. You are right that it is not inconceivable that Savoie ends up on the roster and that Krebs and Joki get re-signed. But those transactions don't translate into a catastrophe. Loosen up and relax. You may end up being surprised how this offseason actually turns out. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JohnC said:

You are working too hard to depress yourself. Take a chill pill and give yourself a lift. You are right that it is not inconceivable that Savoie ends up on the roster and that Krebs and Joki get re-signed. But those transactions don't translate into a catastrophe. Loosen up and relax. You may end up being surprised how this offseason actually turns out. 

It is depressing watching an unqualified tool Adams run a team into the ground.  What makes it worse, is watching Beane confidently retool the Bills on the fly.   

Keeping Krebs at this point simply because he’s young is stupid.  He is a sub-replacement level player who should be replaced by a veteran 4th line player.

It’s also foolish to re-sign Joki beyond one year if at all.  He doesn’t defend in zone very well, he isn’t tough to play against and isn’t an offensive catalyst.  All he is is 3rd pairing filler who can eat minutes in an emergency.

Why spend cap in these two when they can be upgraded for the same money?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

... I'd just assume another year with no playoffs or a 1st round exit in 4 games.

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It is depressing watching an unqualified tool Adams run a team into the ground.  What makes it worse, is watching Beane confidently retool the Bills on the fly.   

Keeping Krebs at this point simply because he’s young is stupid.  He is a sub-replacement level player who should be replaced by a veteran 4th line player.

It’s also foolish to re-sign Joki beyond one year if at all.  He doesn’t defend in zone very well, he isn’t tough to play against and isn’t an offensive catalyst.  All he is is 3rd pairing filler who can eat minutes in an emergency.

Why spend cap in these two when they can be upgraded for the same money?

The GM hasn't made any transactions yet. So why be so dour about what you expect him to do? Your zealotry about Krebs and Joki is perplexing. Whether either of them or both of them stays or go will not have a major bearing on how the team does. So why gets so frenzied over marginal issues? How is the GM going to handle this offseason regarding the reworking of this roster, especially the bottom portion? I don't know. I respectfully recommend you wait a little longer before you unload your fuselage of criticisms for actions that may or may not happen. It wasn't that long ago when you were insistent that Mitts and UPL were lost causes and should be summarily dispatched. You were wrong. Very often patience is a virtue.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

... I'd just assume another year with no playoffs or a 1st round exit in 4 games.

I would be extremely disappointed with another year of no playoffs. If the team makes the playoffs and is then quickly dispatched, I won't be totally satisfied or dissatisfied. The bottom line for me has to be making the playoffs first and then go on from there. 

• Vomit 1

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

"I also don’t think Savoie’s trade value is all that high in the NHL based on my survey of teams." Corey Pronman https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5565930/2024/06/22/nhl-draft-2024-biggest-questions?source=user-shared-article

Well, keep him and let him light up the AHL to change opinions.

Besides, he is not the only asset.

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

"I also don’t think Savoie’s trade value is all that high in the NHL based on my survey of teams." Corey Pronman https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5565930/2024/06/22/nhl-draft-2024-biggest-questions?source=user-shared-article

The curse of the small forward.  Pronman hates smaller forwards.  He had Benson 17th on his 2023 board.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I remember saying he most likely projects as a Tyler Ennis-level player (different game but similar size, similar roster slot).

I think he's an NHLer, and I hope there's more, but we need to keep in mind that the Sabres best young players are already in Buffalo.

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Does anyone  really think Pronman went around to a bunch of NHL teams and asked them what they thought of Savoie’s trade value?

• Haha (+1) 2