Off-season Game Plan 2024

19 hours ago, dudacek said:

You can’t take anything for granted.

But I don’t think it is a stretch to expect 25-30 goals and 50-60 points from each of Quinn and Peterka next year.

Third-year forwards with their track records often have productive seasons simply through the experience they’ve gained.

It’s a pace each produced at last year and there’s a pretty good case they’ll enter the season as the team”s #2 and #3 wingers after Tuch.

The ice time should be there.

There’s also a chance each could get more PP time, given the need to revamp the PP, the fact Appert will be in charge of it, and how each had great PP success under Seth in Rochester.

Would not be a stretch when it comes to fan speculation, but would be poor practice when it comes to assembling a hockey team 

19 hours ago, Taro T said:

If either of them don't hit that it will be a major disappointment this coming season.

Can’t agree. Quinn’s highest point total is 37 so far, and he had 19 last year. Obviously he’s a young improving player but with the likelihood of external factors already being proven, I can’t say from this vantage point I’d definitely be disappointed (never mind majorly so) if Quinn ends up with 40 something or whatever 

Sam Reinhart had 47 points in 79 games during the season that lines up closest with Quinn re: the amount of NHL games played coming in. It’s hard to predict what will happen with increased usage, IF he gets it (potential injury concerns with him early)

Edited by Thorny

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Jeff Marek was on WGR this AM and reiterated this is a playoffs or bust season for the organization and he expects a fax machine full of pink paper if they miss. 

He fully expects 11 OA and prospect to be moved as well 

IMG_3443.thumb.jpeg.e8ed6a2adf50297080503a1150f11d80.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Would not be a stretch when it comes to fan speculation, but would be poor practice when it comes to assembling a hockey team 

Can’t agree. Quinn’s highest point total is 37 so far, and he had 19 last year. Obviously he’s a young improving player but with the likelihood of external factors already being proven, I can’t say from this vantage point is definitely he disappointed if Quinn ends up with 40 something or whatever 

Sam Reinhart had 47 points in 79 games during the season that lines up closest with Quinn re: the amount of NHL games played coming in. It’s hard to predict what will happen with increased usage, IF he gets it (potential injury concerns with him early)

Thing is, we both know that in Reinhart's 3rd full season, on a really bad team, he got to 25 and 25, which is what this season will be for Quinn realistically.  Had Quinn only been out for 1 of the 2 stretches he missed, he would've been in the 30's again as he was pretty much a 0.67ppg player. 

This coming season should be considered Quinn's 3rd NHL season, not merely his 2nd.  And based on what he has done in the past, personally will be very disappointed if he isn't 25/50 (so, yeah, there'll be a bit of disappointment if he isn't 25/55).  YMMV and apparently does.  😉 

Truthfully, would likely be more disappointed if Quinn misses those thresholds than Peterka does.  But do expect both are very reachable for both,

12 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Any interest in Coulturier from Phill at 4.75mil a year?

Yes. I brought him up a while back.

Not sure what his issues were with Torts, and I’d need to check his health.

But healthy and committed he’d be almost an ideal get.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Have liked him ever since the WJC's in Buffalo way back when.   Took a while to get going, but he ended up everything he looked like he would be back then.  Would love to have the younger him, but would still take the current version.  (Provided when they do their due dilligence they don't figure out that there was actually a legit reason for Tortorella to go all Torts on him.)

On 5/18/2024 at 1:55 PM, dudacek said:

Here’s someone who fits my “this year’s 2021 Reinhart” model.

Marty Necas is a 25-year-old 5-year veteran RFA who wants more than Carolina is willing to pay him.

Friedman says he’s expected to hit the market. Wants term and the Canes won’t do it.

6’2” skilled, and fast. Former 12-overall pick in 2017 who broke out with 71 points 2 years ago after 3 years of 40ish. Dropped to 53 last year.

Not particularly physical or a shutdown guy, but his puck possession numbers are strong.

Plays RW but is naturally a centre and reportedly wants to play centre.

This is the the type of guy you could get for the Reinhart price of roughly 2 picks in the second half of the 1st, or equivalent prospects.

He shouldn’t cost more than Cozens on term and you’ve got him for at least 2 years for 5 or 6 if not.

He’s basically your Mitts replacement to a “T”.

Which is ironic because reports say he was going to be the Sabres pick at 8 in his draft year before newcomer Botterill overruled the holdover staff and took Casey.

New report out from Jeff Marek claiming Sabres don't have what the Canes want.

Excuse me what?  They have the deepest prospect pool in the league by a mile and the #11 pick.

2 minutes ago, Big Guava said:

Excuse me what?  They have the deepest prospect pool in the league by a mile and the #11 pick.

I think what the Canes want is Necas or his equivalent on the blue line for a lot less money.

Their ask from the Sabres probably would have been Peterka plus.

I wouldn’t do Peterka straight across.

Necas is good, but he’s not $6M better than Peterka.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

His bad back would scare me away from that. Part of the issue with Torts as Philly fans tell me was his ability or inability to play through pain and a disagreement there.

4 hours ago, Big Guava said:

I suspect it's a D man as @dudacek suggested. Likely a shot blocker to replace Pesce if they have decided they can't afford him. 

I think their desire to trade or not trade Necas might be related to their attempt to sign Guentzel. If Guentzel doesn't sign there I would expect Necas to come off the market. That is unless they really are interested in Ullmark (a Boston rumor) because Boston is interested in Necas to play with Pasternak. I've heard Seattle has asked about Necas as well. I think he's a pretty popular target/asset.

8 hours ago, Big Guava said:

This is not surprising in the slightest. The Canes have a roster that is near the top of the league for the last 4 years (3 points from the Presidents trophy last year, 2nd in the league the year before, 6 points away the year before that, 2 points away the year before that). Their roster is near completion, and if they are trading a high end established NHL player, it would be for established NHL players. They aren’t going to downgrade their roster for futures, as they are highly competitive now. They likely want a starting goalie (Ullmark?) or blue line help depending on how their free agent situation goes. Prospects or picks may be brought in, not as the main piece of the trade, but as supplemental value to even things out. 

• Like (+1) 1

FWIW, and I know at least one poster doesn’t think it’s worth much, but after a few conversations over the weekend, I am 100% convinced that the Sabres will make a big splash in the coming weeks. Something along the likes of Danault, Jenner. Eriksson EK, Jenner. And it won’t stop there.

The hire of Ruff was significant but the real notice of intent was the hiring of Pete Guelli. Ruff had some leverage but Guelli is a rising star and doesn’t sign on without some significant guarantees. 

TPegs was not in Buffalo to discuss draft prospects. He was here to agree to the monetary ramifications of the pending moves.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 4

43 minutes ago, tom webster said:

FWIW, and I know at least one poster doesn’t think it’s worth much, but after a few conversations over the weekend, I am 100% convinced that the Sabres will make a big splash in the coming weeks. Something along the likes of Danault, Jenner. Eriksson EK, Jenner. And it won’t stop there.

The hire of Ruff was significant but the real notice of intent was the hiring of Pete Guelli. Ruff had some leverage but Guelli is a rising star and doesn’t sign on without some significant guarantees. 

TPegs was not in Buffalo to discuss draft prospects. He was here to agree to the monetary ramifications of the pending moves.

Eriksen Ek?

I can’t think of a more perfect add.

27, under contract for 5 more years at $5.2, one of the best 2-way centres in the game and his no-movement clause doesn’t kick in until July.

Assets like that don’t go on the market unless a team is hitting the reset button.

That would be an expensive get.

Edited by dudacek

16 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I brought up previously Fla going for it by acquiring Bennett, Reinhart, Tkachuk and Montour.  We are kind of in the same situation they were when they made those dramatic moves.  

I don't think we need to do anything that dramatic.  We need the best 2/3C we can get to create 3 good scoring lines, a good 4C and at least one good stay at home D.   

Just now, dudacek said:

Eriksen Ek?

I can’t think of a more perfect add.

27, under contract for 5 more years at $5.2, one of the best 2-way centres in the game and has no-movement clause doesn’t kick in until July.

Assets like that don’t go on the market unless a team is hitting the reset button.

That would be an expensive get.

But perfect.  I'd give them 3 good pieces for him.

I see 2 things that might make Ek available.

• The fact that Minnesota is in an awful spot under the cap this year thanks to the Parise buyout
  • The fact that their core has quietly gotten old and they might need to re-focus on a Faber/Boldy window.

I could see them trying to do a quick reset by flipping some of their older players for some players in their early 20s. And Ek certainly is someone who could generate the best type of return under that scenario.

And the fact that Ek is owed $22.5M over the next few years including $9M next year isn’t insignificant.

I guess we’ll see if Terry really is cheap.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But perfect.  I'd give them 3 good pieces for him.

You’d think it would have to be #11 and their favourite from the Savoie/Östlund/Kulich trio as a base.

Maybe we toss in Johnson, who can go back to his girlfriend and his buddy Faber in Minny?

If he really is on the market for a futures deal, I can’t see anyone beating that offer.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I see 2 things that might make Ek available.

The fact that Minnesota is in an awful spot under the cap this year thanks to the Parise buyout

The fact that their core has quietly gotten old and they might need to re-focus on a Faber/Boldy window.

I could see them trying to do a quick reset by flipping some of their older players for some players in their early 20s. And Ek certainly is someone who could generate that kind of return.

And the fact that Ek is owed $22.5M over the next few years including $9M next year isn’t insignificant.

I guess we’ll see if Terry really is cheap.

Never say never. but it is hard for me to see Ek being on the table.  His contract is amongst the most team-friendly in the NHL. He has a 10 team no trade, which doesn't automatically mean we are a no-go, but it doesn't increase the odds. It would be great though as he would arguably be our best forward if we acquired him. He isn't a 3C, that's for certain.

I don't think the Wild are in an awful spot re: the cap, though.  They are in no position to make big upgrades this off-season, but they have more than enough space to fill out their roster with some bottom pairing d-men and 4th line forwards.  I have to think their plan is to get through the year and then they get around $12 million in cap relief when the Parise/Suter buyouts settle into a nominal amount for the next 4 seasons. They won't get better this year or next by moving out one of their top 4 players who is on a very team-friendly deal.

Also, just a little nit-pick on the Wild being in a bad cap spot "thanks to the Parise buyout".  They are not in a bad spot because of the Parise, and Suter, buyouts.  They are in a bad spot because those contracts were handed out to begin with.  Had they not bought them out they would be in the precise bad spot re: the cap. Just like if we buy Skinner out (which we may have to in order to do the deals @tom webster is indicating), it won't be the buyout that puts us in a bad spot 2 years from now (with a $6.44 million hit). It was the contract that put us in that spot, and without a buyout we will be in an even worse spot 2 years from now (with a $9 million dollar cap hit).  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You’d think it would have to be #11 and their favourite from the Savoie/Östlund/Kulich trio as a base.

Maybe we toss in Johnson, who can go back to his girlfriend and his buddy Faber in Minny?

If he really is on the market for a futures deal, I can’t see anyone beating that offer.

Agreed.  The only way this happens is if we are paying big and the Wild are looking to do a reset for after the Parise/Suter contracts are up.  #11/Krebs/pick a prospect.

53 minutes ago, tom webster said:

While it is technically possible to add two players of this calibre without a Skinner buyout, it will not leave for great 4th line additions. Also, it would not make much sense to do this without a Skinner buyout as none of these players are 4th liners and we would run out of positions for our existing NHL forwards. Not to mention the "and it won't stop there" portion.  Hopefully a Skinner buyout, or significant retention on a Skinner trade (less likely), is part of the monetary ramifications here.

54 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Good stuff here, and I too would freaking love Eriksson Ek (and would pay through the nose for him).  But I think Guelli's calculus in taking the job with TP was at least 90% driven by the Bills, which are an elite NFL franchise.  I'd guess he viewed the Sabres as an interesting extra item but not much more than that.

20 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Good stuff here, and I too would freaking love Eriksson Ek (and would pay through the nose for him).  But I think Guelli's calculus in taking the job with TP was at least 90% driven by the Bills, which are an elite NFL franchise.  I'd guess he viewed the Sabres as an interesting extra item but not much more than that.

No doubt the Bills are the big draw but guys like him don’t like being associated with failures and while the NHL is small potatoes, it still has a club of billionaires that he would want to impress.

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Never say never. but it is hard for me to see Ek being on the table.  His contract is amongst the most team-friendly in the NHL. He has a 10 team no trade, which doesn't automatically mean we are a no-go, but it doesn't increase the odds. It would be great though as he would arguably be our best forward if we acquired him. He isn't a 3C, that's for certain.

I don't think the Wild are in an awful spot re: the cap, though.  They are in no position to make big upgrades this off-season, but they have more than enough space to fill out their roster with some bottom pairing d-men and 4th line forwards.  I have to think their plan is to get through the year and then they get around $12 million in cap relief when the Parise/Suter buyouts settle into a nominal amount for the next 4 seasons. They won't get better this year or next by moving out one of their top 4 players who is on a very team-friendly deal.

I see the Wild’s cap situation the same way you do.

I didn’t mean rough cap situation in the sense you took it. I meant they are an average team that lacks the cap space to be a real contender in the next 2 years and I wonder where that puts their window.

The clock is ticking on Zuccarello, Foligno, Hartman, Brodin; Those guys probably don’t have a role when the team is ready to be good again.

They have to re-sign Kaprizov in 2 years. If I’m their braintrust, I’m building toward that summer with a group around Boldy and Faber. Ek becomes an interesting piece in that scenario: the Wild are clearly better on the ice over the next 2 or 3 years keeping him, but they probably won’t be good. The question becomes are you better off with a 30-year-old Ek on the roster in 3 years when you think you’ll be rising again? Or will you be better off with a 23–year-old Kulich, a 26-year-old Krebs and a 21-year-old Eiserman (or some similar package)?

Ek’s NTC does not kick in until July 1

• Like (+1) 4