Off-season Game Plan 2024

19 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I could see him asking for a trade if that happens 

Asking and getting are two different things.   If he comes into camp and earns the 3rd line centre job ...kudos to him.   
I think he is really close to being ready but just needs a little more time in the AHL

11 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Question is would he want to sign here.

I wouldn’t 

I think his ambitions is leading a cup contender first line. At least he could lead a Sabres first line from day one. 

I think it takes Savoie and a 2nd, or Savoie and another prospect to get him.

1 minute ago, SabreFinn said:

I think his ambitions is leading a cup contender first line. At least he could lead a Sabres first line from day one. 

I think it takes Savoie and a 2nd, or Savoie and another prospect to get him.

That's why I mentioned an offer sheet; you have 2 options to force Florida to the table.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If they make a trade for Eriksson Ek or Danault as was earlier rumored, this isn't as ugly as it seems now.

But doubt anyone here would want to have money on that happening at this point.

Erikkson Ek is likely out of the picture now, had a clause kick in today.

• Thanks (+1) 2

Malenstyn is fast and plays hard, same with Aube-Kubel and Lafferty, and Zucker at least used to be fast.

Okposo and Skinner and Olofsson not fast.

I think we are seeing a follow through and their commitment to create an identity in the bottom 6.

I can see these guys creating some energy for the Peterkas to feed off.

Just get me that 3C. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Playoff team yet? 

Top six should score some goals, bottom six looks solid, two good goaltenders and a defense that is above average and has depth 

Injuries to the top six could deflate this team pretty quick, but that's probably true of most teams 

They should make playoffs this coming year 

On 6/29/2024 at 5:29 PM, thewookie1 said:

We can offersheet Lundell up to 4.5mil and it only is a 2nd rounder as well

4.5x3 would run him to UFA

Florida would probably match, they’d still have 4.5 mil to sign 2 bottom sixers+a 7D or 13F or both. There’s also rumors of them wanting to move Ekbald which would free up more space to give them more to work with. 

6 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Florida would probably match, they’d still have 4.5 mil to sign 2 bottom sixers+a 7D or 13F or both. There’s also rumors of them wanting to move Ekbald which would free up more space to give them more to work with. 

That's why I use it generally as a threat and with most teams around the league eating their cap alive; trading Ekblad will only get harder.

So when Adams said his plan was to overhaul the bottom 6, he wasn’t fooling around.

Our projected bottom 6 right now literally has 5 new faces, with Greenway the only holdover.

Every one of the new guys is fast - extremely fast even. Every one save Zucker is big and strong. Every one takes care of his own zone. Every one save McLeod loves to hit.

The past week has been identity-changing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So when Adams said his plan was to overhaul the bottom 6, he wasn’t fooling around.

Our projected bottom 6 right now literally has 5 new faces, with Greenway the only holdover.

Every one of the new guys is fast - extremely fast even. Every one save Zucker is big and strong. Every one takes care of his own zone. Every one save McLeod loves to hit.

Now lets hope it translates to the ice making the Sabres harder to play against and giving Lindy the ability to roll 4 effective lines.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Do you know if we’ve gotten older? 

@dudacek this is very promising, this sort of represents the unfolding of exactly what I was hoping for when I talked about doing what we could to *separate* from the league in the bottom 6, if we couldn’t match up in the top 6. Not just address the bottom 6, elevate relative to other teams to make up the gap 

have to do something. This represents creativity from Adams 

On 6/5/2024 at 3:26 PM, dudacek said:

Why not? 

Is he significantly worse than Corey Perry and Dylan Holloway, currently playing top 9 in the Stanley Cup final

I’m not the kind of guy to build my lineup on a hierarchy system. The lines would depend more on role or chemistry.

But in terms of ice time, I’d be giving Quinn and Tuch the most and Peterka Benson Skinner Greenway and new guy similar counts based on play and situation.

Who were the 3rd liners out of Dumont, Hecht, Grier, Kotalik, Vanek, Afinogenov, Pominville and whichever of Connelly and Roy wasn’t playing centre?

On 6/5/2024 at 3:30 PM, Thorny said:

I know we hope for upswings and returns to “form”, but if similar to last year we could be in a situation where we are running more less 2 2nd lines if we see the sort of outputs we saw repeat. (Yes I know I took all data all situations it’s just a rough estimate)

But it seems to line up: we may very well not have a great or even average top 6, i’d supplement in the bottom 6 if at all possible 

How do their top 6s look compared to ours 

Edited by Thorny

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Do you know if we’ve gotten older? 

Been meaning to do the math on it, but have yet to get around to it.

My thing is less about average age, and more about number of players in their prime years.

Last years team started the year with Tuch, Clifton, Greenway, Olofsson and Girgensons between 25 and 30.

Aube-Kubel, Lafferty and Malenstyn also fit. Thompson turned 26 last year. McLeod turns 25 in September. Jokiharju just turned 25 and Dahlin 24, but each has played a ton of NHL games.

And I think Adams is on the mark when he says many of the younger players have been around long enough that “youth” needs to stop being an excuse.

Edited by dudacek

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Been meaning to do the math on it, but have yet to get around to it.

My thing is less about average age, and more about number of players in their prime years.

Last years team started the year with Tuch, Clifton, Greenway, Olofsson and Girgensons between 25 and 30.

Aube-Kubel, Lafferty and Malenstyn also fit. Thompson turned 26 last year. McLeod turns 25 in September. Jokiharju just turned 25 and Dahlin 24, but each has played a ton of NHL games.

Ya it’s just tough to argue with the correlation between youth=failure to make the playoffs 

I’m not saying it’s binding but I’d feel more comfortable if we didn’t enter the year as the youngest again 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

None of these are likely to happen, but the team has 3 priority needs

Top 6 Forward
Top 4 Dman
Veteran Goalie

I'll be very surprised if Adams is able to add any of them.  That said, I didn't expect the trade for a solid 3C 

We already have a vet goalie in Reimer

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.