Off-season Game Plan 2024

40 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Tuch should be a 2nd line RW in the NHL and he is paid as one so I am in no hurry to trade him. 

JJP - Tage - Tuch can easily be considered or deployed as a 2nd line instead of first line where you put out Benson - Cozens - Quinn as your top line, you can also switch Tage and Cozens because Benson is going to be able to get the puck to Tage in shooting position. 

I agree with Tuch, that would be my least favorite move. I also disagree on Cozens, the way he played last season does not scream 1st line center imo. Of course he can bounce back but I’m not sure I’m rewarding him just yet. 

Id prefer JJP, Thompson Quinn on line 1 with Benson, Cozens, Tuch on line 2 but that’s just me. I wouldn’t hate it though if the lines were what you listed this would just be my preference.

23 hours ago, kas23 said:

This really is a laughable tweet. For all we know, it was this: “So Kev, should I get the Delmonico or the bone-in ribeye at the Chophouse?”

Well, if it happened what makes it laughable?  The concept of "live tweeting" is that they tweet what happens. The inferences people draw from it are their own.

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I don’t know the stats but my viewings of him are that a lot of his goals were tap ins and rebounds because Tocchet got him using his big body to go to the front of the net.

Shooting pe4centage should be good from inside of 6 feet.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The list of players I would trade Quinn or Benson for is short, really short. Comparing either to Kulich, Rosen, Wahlberg, Östlund or Neuchev is like comparing a Jeep Grand Cherokee with all the bells and whistles, to a Ford Focus rental from budget, and arguing they the same because they are both cars. Quinn and Benson literally drive whatever line you put them on all while being exceptionally good in the neutral and defensive zones. Quinn and Benson as early as this season might show they are our two best 200ft forwards. 

Note: I do see you said "the deal would have to be really good" but what I am saying is the deal would have to be great. I am talking Benson and 11 for Nathan MacKinnon. Something absurd because that is how much I would rather keep Benson and Quinn on my team. I am more apt to trade any of the other players in the forward ranks before them including Tuch, Tage, or Cozens. Quinn probably carries the most risk because of injury but I think Zach Benson is on track to be a truly special NHL player. 

I like Benson and Quinn a lot and would be reluctant to move them.  You and and a few others see more potential than I think is there though.  Both can be high-level NHL players.  It is highly unlikely that either will ever be seriously considered worthy of being the center-piece of a trade for an elite player such as MacKinnon. 

Edited by Archie Lee

Tampa are a very interesting trade partner.

They have no picks and $5 million in cap money and would like to bring Stamkos back and have to sign Hedman to an extension. They want to compete but something has to give.

Sabres could pull off a blockbuster “One Stop Shop” type trade for Cirelli, Cernak and Jeannot. Would fill the two way gritty centre role, tough defensive partner for Power and a big gritty forward that could play third line.

#11, Kulich or Savoie, and Krebs and Joker as cheaper options they can plug in their lineup would probably get it done.

It would free up a lot of cap for TB to do some other things.

I doubt TB would want to move Cirelli or move them all in division but would be a culture changing type deal to help the Sabres compete now.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/14/2024 at 8:59 PM, Flashsabre said:

Tampa are a very interesting trade partner.

They have no picks and $5 million in cap money and would like to bring Stamkos back and have to sign Hedman to an extension. They want to compete but something has to give.

Sabres could pull off a blockbuster “One Stop Shop” type trade for Cirelli, Cernak and Jeannot. Would fill the two way gritty centre role, tough defensive partner for Power and a big gritty forward that could play third line.

#11, Kulich or Savoie, and Krebs and Joker as cheaper options they can plug in their lineup would probably get it done.

It would free up a lot of cap for TB to do some other things.

I doubt TB would want to move Cirelli or move them all in division but would be a culture changing type deal to help the Sabres compete now.

Intriguing proposal.  I wouldn't be against that.  

On 6/10/2024 at 1:03 PM, LGR4GM said:

Dude shot double his career sh% average. He's a 10g, 10-15a type of player. Pay accordingly. 

Its tough to project those things. Overall I agree with you that I would not pay as much for him as some are saying.  The worse you posted, they could apply almost exactly to Dylan Cozens so far in his career also.  His shooting percentages by year include numbers of 9%, 8.1%, and 6.5%. Oh, he had ONE year at 14.7% (More than 70% higher than all of his other years combined), and he got paid a pretty good contract off of that ONE good year.   Was it the correct decision, I guess we still don't know.

54 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Its tough to project those things. Overall I agree with you that I would not pay as much for him as some are saying.  The worse you posted, they could apply almost exactly to Dylan Cozens so far in his career also.  His shooting percentages by year include numbers of 9%, 8.1%, and 6.5%. Oh, he had ONE year at 14.7% (More than 70% higher than all of his other years combined), and he got paid a pretty good contract off of that ONE good year.   Was it the correct decision, I guess we still don't know.

The difference is Cozens had a track record leading up to his breakout, which happened the year he turned 22.

Joshua has no track record and his breakout happened at 27.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Dylan Cozens was A. younger at only 22 when he saw his jump. He was at 140-200 games during that year which does compare favorable to Joshua. B. his sh% that season is at 14.7% which is fairly normal and only 4.3% above his career average. Cozens has taken 633 shots in his career which means the numbers should be stabilizing. 

Joshua was 27 and in the 120-180 range for the games played of his career. Now we run into issues though. Cozens shot 200 times this year, where as Joshua hasn't even hit 200 times in his entire career, being at only 195 over 4 seasons (granted the 1st two seasons are part time ones). So we have to ask is Joshua, Tage Thompson where the lack of total shots means that his sh% is closer to 21.4% or is it lower? The last 2 years his sh% average on 155 shots is 18.7% which puts him into the Sam Reinhart level and that seems unlikely. 

My main concern looking at this is, any minor drop and his goal totals plummet. He simply does not generate enough shots and for a comparison, Joshua shot 84 times this season, Benson shot 98. Joshua probably can be that 12-15g guy but you gotta be really careful what and for how long you pay him.

On 6/10/2024 at 12:29 PM, dudacek said:

Joshua is simultaneously one of the most attractive and most frightening free agents on the market.

Someone might just give him a Foligno-style 4x$4M... and regret that contract happily ever after. The Jay Beagle Special.

(And I like the player. I'd gladly do a Zemgus-style 2x$2.5M and then replace Zemgus with a lesser deal.)

On 6/10/2024 at 12:21 PM, Buffalonill said:

One year Wonder stay away from him ville leino  all over again 

Yeah...27 year old with a 20+ percent shooting output gives me pause. Bottom 6 player, great! But if the speculation out there is top 6 money....I'll pass

Not sure how much of this is new, but if you want an idea of the game plan, I don’t think Kevyn can spell it out any more plainly:

Upgrade the bottom 6, add a centre, make sure there’s depth on D, give Lindy the situational tools he needs.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nhl/sabres/buffalo-sabres-kevyn-adams-q-and-a-zemgus-girgensons-ukko-pekka-luukkonen/article_523767c2-2cac-11ef-9f0b-a31a30eb32c8.html

Girgensons, Jokiharju, pick 11, it’s all touched on.

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not sure how much of this is new, but if you want an idea of the game plan, I don’t think Kevyn can spell it out any more plainly:

Upgrade the bottom 6, add a centre, make sure there’s depth on D, give Lindy the situational tools he needs.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nhl/sabres/buffalo-sabres-kevyn-adams-q-and-a-zemgus-girgensons-ukko-pekka-luukkonen/article_523767c2-2cac-11ef-9f0b-a31a30eb32c8.html

I can’t access the article. Without having read it, sounds like he thinks the core group is ready and does not need to be upgraded and that changes in head coach and to the “make-up” of the bottom of the line-up are what was and is needed. Is that a fair assessment or am I being too simplistic in my interpretation. 

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The biggest challenge for the GM to accomplish his offseason to do list is adding a 2/3 C to the roster. The issue is what is he willing to give up and who is available. If he gets a good 2/3 C, it will create a lot of line flexibility. Interesting offseason for this GM. Action should be happening soon as the draft approaches. 

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Anyone still taking what KA says in a public discussion at face value is doing so at their own risk.  He’s already shown that he is willing to say what he thinks the crowd wants to hear instead of what he’s really doing.

57 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I can’t access the article. Without having read it, sounds like he thinks the core group is ready and does not need to be upgraded and that changes in head coach and to the “make-up” of the bottom of the line-up are what was and is needed. Is that a fair assessment or am I being too simplistic in my interpretation. 

Mostly fair?

He says this: "And when I look at our forward group, I get excited because I think we have a core of guys that are at good ages. Now they’ve got some experience."

But also this: "We’re spending a lot of time looking at (center) when you make a trade. As excited as you are about acquiring Bo, you lose a player like (Casey Mittelstadt), so how do you fill those positions?"

48 minutes ago, Weave said:

Anyone still taking what KA says in a public discussion at face value is doing so at their own risk.  He’s already shown that he is willing to say what he thinks the crowd wants to hear instead of what he’s really doing.

I agree that Adams is very aware of the message he sends to the fan base and read his statements through that filter.

But i have never considered him to be deceptive. When he's laid out his plans in the past, he's generally followed through: "not going to block", "we like our goalies" "we'd like to add some experience and PK to the blue line" "It's no secret we've been looking for a top 4 defenceman" "we want players who want to be here".

So when he says he's trying to make the bottom 6 harder to play against, yes, I do take that at face value, and feel pretty comfortable about doing so.

What are you skeptical of and why?

Edited by dudacek

54 minutes ago, Weave said:

Frankly while he definitely caters his language to the fans; I don't think he's trying to deceive us. 

He wanted a Top 4 D last year and made mention of that. He went after Chychrun and Pesce who for different reasons didn't succeed. The UFA market wasn't great so he signed a vet in Erik Johnson whom had played Top 4 minutes up until the Avs Cup year and Connor Clifton who was a Bottom pair RHD that could possibly elevate but wasn't an issue in of himself if he couldn't be a Top 4. Later on he traded Mitts for Bo Byram to which wasn't the type of Dman I wanted but was certainly a Top 4 talent Dman.

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Mostly fair?

He says this: "And when I look at our forward group, I get excited because I think we have a core of guys that are at good ages. Now they’ve got some experience."

But also this: "We’re spending a lot of time looking at (center) when you make a trade. As excited as you are about acquiring Bo, you lose a player like (Casey Mittelstadt), so how do you fill those positions?"

I agree that Adams is very aware of the message he sends to the fan base and read his statements through that filter.

But i have never considered him to be deceptive. When he's laid out his plans in the past, he's generally followed through: "not going to block", "we like our goalies" "we'd like to add some experience and PK to the blue line" "It's no secret we've been looking for a top 4 defenceman" "we want players who want to be here".

So when he says he's trying to make the bottom 6 harder to play against, yes, I do take that at face value, and feel pretty comfortable about doing so.

What are you skeptical of and why?

IMO he was outright deceptive regarding the “coaching search”.  Makes me tend to disregard what he says going forward.  He’s shown me he’s willing to deceive to avoid fan displeasure.  I have no expectations now.  We’ll see where it goes.

• Like (+1) 1