The next captain of the Sabres will be/should be

mjd1001

The Sabres will choose as the next captain:  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the TEAM choose as the next captain?

• Dahlin
    • Tuch
    • Cozens
    • Thompson
    • Someone else
  2. 2. Who would YOU choose as the next captain?

• Dahlin
    • Tuch
    • Cozens
    • Thompson
    • Someone else

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

idk if they plan on some before the season announcement or something but imo it's time to name the captain now and let him start assuming that role sooner than later. I know the Bruins always start their Captain's practices in early September and that's a team building model Sabres should adopt. 

Maybe the Tuch Dahlin skate is a precursor but I think it's time to make things official. Serious hockey this year. No more country club. 

September, hah! Dahlin was hosting captain's practices in July.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

If they want to make a real statement, they should simply have Dahlin (or whoever) lead the team out onto the ice game 1 with the C on his shoulder. Right down to business: “watch the results.” 

What we will get, is a cozy, puff piece Sabres embedded special, we can certainly be sure of that. A vibes-based video on the eve of the season showcasing the big happy family 

Probably. I am hoping for a more down to real business attitude this year but I am prepared to be disappointed. 

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

September, hah! Dahlin was hosting captain's practices in July.

If that's what they were. Who are the captains???

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

If they want to make a real statement, they should simply have Dahlin (or whoever) lead the team out onto the ice game 1 with the C on his shoulder. Right down to business: “watch the results.” 

What we will get, is a cozy, puff piece Sabres embedded special, we can certainly be sure of that. A vibes-based video on the eve of the season showcasing the big happy family 

Those puff pieces are what gets my wife (who did not grow up with hockey) engaged in this team with me. I agree with you that I don’t need it, but after 13 years of futility….those puff personality pieces lead to her watching games with me.  

She never saw Hasek in 99 or the President’s trophy team of 06-07. She doesn’t know vintage Rick. Or a freakin playoff game lol

And there’s an entire generation of Buffalonians who also don’t have that connection.  

I’m sure you’ll hit me with your patented red X Disagree emoji and I get it, but that stuff helps me get her to watch games in February with me so I’m here for it.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Those puff pieces are what gets my wife (who did not grow up with hockey) engaged in this team with me. I agree with you that I don’t need it, but after 13 years of futility….those puff personality pieces lead to her watching games with me.  

She never saw Hasek in 99 or the President’s trophy team of 06-07. She doesn’t know vintage Rick. Or a freakin playoff game lol

And there’s an entire generation of Buffalonians who also don’t have that connection.  

I’m sure you’ll hit me with your patented red X Disagree emoji and I get it, but that stuff helps me get her to watch games in February with me so I’m here for it.  

We need all the new blood that is willing to come aboard.

Your wife probably doesn’t have the pain of the 13 year drought, she probably sees a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Tuch throws out first pitch at Bisons game.

Film at 11.

I heard that there were Bison roaming around in downtown Buffalo, and that they were wearing goat heads.   

• 2 weeks later...

The Sabres best run of the past 20 years had co-captains.  When the co-captains both left and there was a bit of a leadership void there were rotating captains.

Personally could see Tuch the captain at home games and Dahlin the captain at road games.

With either Thompson or Cozens wearing the 2nd A any given night.  (Maybe T&T at home and they play CD's on the road (again w/ the other captain wearing the 2nd A when not wearing the C).

Tuch and Dahlin are obvious. You can argue for either as C or A but the two of them are always in the conversation and fairly obvious. 

The second A is an odd one though. So few veterans, so few leaders, people want to toss it to Cozens and I had high hopes but what has he actually done to earn a letter? I don't see it. Thompson on talent but leadership? idk. Unless you're handing out letters on the hope they become something I honestly don't know who you give it to. 

To me Thompson is the obvious 3rd.

Guy takes personal responsibility and has fought through a *****-ton of adversity without ever complaining or giving up.

Self-made guy who has committed to the city and the franchise and a good example to the younger guys. He’s also one of the senior guys in terms of age, games played and games played in Buffalo.

Also doesn’t hurt that he is the biggest offensive threat and probably has a ton of influence with the younger forwards.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

My guess is 3 A’s to start the season.  Tuch, Thompson, Dahlin.  The entire team admitted there was no accountability last year so I think Lindy will see which one is able to hold his teammates accountable. Based on exit interviews my money is on Tage. 

Edited by Mr Peabody

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Tuch and Dahlin are obvious. You can argue for either as C or A but the two of them are always in the conversation and fairly obvious. 

The second A is an odd one though. So few veterans, so few leaders, people want to toss it to Cozens and I had high hopes but what has he actually done to earn a letter? I don't see it. Thompson on talent but leadership? idk. Unless you're handing out letters on the hope they become something I honestly don't know who you give it to. 

Dahlin C

Tuch A

Benson A 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Benson's too young. If we had a veteran to hold it for Benson, that'd be ideal, but we don't. 

I dunno, I think there’s a few guys I could see capably taking up the mantle. I just like Benson and wanted him to have it. Not a prediction 

Though I suppose the Dahlin / Tuch part is: I do think Dahlin definitely gets the C. 

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

I dunno, I think there’s a few guys I could see capably taking up the mantle. I just like Benson and wanted him to have it. Not a prediction 

Though I suppose the Dahlin / Tuch part is: I do think Dahlin definitely gets the C. 

I like Benson too. he was a refreshing change for me. Definitely has a future. 

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Tuch, has to be Tuch, no?

No. It will not be Alex Tuch. It will be Rasmus Dahlin. 

The last few seasons, Dahlin has often been the first one sticking up for himself and teammates on the ice. He also frequently hosted team parties last season, let Zach Benson stay in his house and organized a group workout in Europe this offseason. Adams ropes him into conversations about the team. I’ll be stunned if he’s not the choice for captain. Toward the end of last season, Tuch and I were talking after a game and he made an offhand reference to Dahlin and referred to him as the team’s likely next captain. I don’t think Tuch would in any way be put off by Dahlin getting that title. But I do think Tuch is the logical choice to have an “A” on his jersey.  https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5760170/2024/09/11/sabres-eichel-savoie-trade/

31 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Serious question:  since TT, Tuch and Cozens were a big part of the problem last year, why should any of them get a letter?

Because they are the leaders.  Cozens, should not get one, he is not yet ready for that.  Someday he probably will be.  

TT is a very hard worker and part of my logic in giving him the letter it to inspire and reward.  

Tuch is a vet that has been a leader since he came here. 

• Agree 1

Do the Sabres need a captain who can get in the face of a teammate not pulling his weight ( see “accountability”)?  Can the names being mentioned in this thread do this?  Are the friendships too deep to call out a teammate?  

I trust Lindy to figure this out. 

• Like (+1) 1