The next captain of the Sabres will be/should be

mjd1001

The Sabres will choose as the next captain:  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the TEAM choose as the next captain?

• Dahlin
    • Tuch
    • Cozens
    • Thompson
    • Someone else
  2. 2. Who would YOU choose as the next captain?

• Dahlin
    • Tuch
    • Cozens
    • Thompson
    • Someone else

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Lindy chooses, right?

Was there a time the players voted?

Yes, Ruff will select the captain(s).

Honestly not sure that the players have ever had final say in who the captain is.  It wasn't the players that took the C off Schoenfeld and gave it to Gare.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Yes, Ruff will select the captain(s).

Honestly not sure that the players have ever had final say in who the captain is.  It wasn't the players that took the C off Schoenfeld and gave it to Gare.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a player vote the year Rivet was made captain.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a player vote the year Rivet was made captain.  

You appear to be right based on several reputable Internet sources from the day.

From Die by the Blade:

{Update}:  This is a permanenet captain as per Lindy Ruff press conference from the Arena.  The management and coaching staff decided that there would be one captain for the entire season and then they allowed the players to vote.  Rivet was named captain after the players voted him to be captain.

ESPN reported it as well.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

They've had exactly 1 practice under Ruff.  Wtf should it "be done by now?"

First day of camp it should be done. This shouldn't be about some for the fans announcement at the end of camp, it should have been done before camp or at least at the start of camp. Set up the leadership and have them start amplifying Ruff's words and setting the tone. 

If this team wants to become a truly competitive team this shouldn't be about an honour or a reward, it should be about leaders who will work their ***** off and begin holding people accountable. 

I'm tired of waiting, I want a serious hockey team and I want it NOW. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

First day of camp it should be done. This shouldn't be about some for the fans announcement at the end of camp, it should have been done before camp or at least at the start of camp. Set up the leadership and have them start amplifying Ruff's words and setting the tone. 

If this team wants to become a truly competitive team this shouldn't be about an honour or a reward, it should be about leaders who will work their ***** off and begin holding people accountable. 

No you wouldn't. You would have been in here when they announced Dahlin on day 1 saying stuff like "Ruff should have waited until they went to Europe to see who is really the leader and get a feel etc..." 

Besides, the leaders on the team are already amplifying the message. A letter on your jersey doesn't make you a leader. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

And again, Dahlin and Tuch were the guys that were sent to talk with the STHers on Saturday.  Pretty sure they and Ruff know what's up.  It just simply isn't getting announced publicly yet.  And Ruff very possibly hasn't settled on who's getting the A yet.  He's been a part of all of 1 practice with his team (well, 2 by now); why not get to know the team a bit 1st?

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And again, Dahlin and Tuch were the guys that were sent to talk with the STHers on Saturday.  Pretty sure they and Ruff know what's up.  It just simply isn't getting announced publicly yet.  And Ruff very possibly hasn't settled on who's getting the A yet.  He's been a part of all of 1 practice with his team (well, 2 by now); why not get to know the team a bit 1st?

Won’t be co-captains I don’t think 

Would be a weak decision so maybe I’m just biased, but I still don’t think it happens 

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Healthy.

If they picked Dahlin they aren’t going to switch up what was probably a multilayered decision because he got hurt. You’d be changing a multi year philosophy to address a few weeks / months 

I’d imagine they give an extra A out for now, and if Dahlin isn’t there day 1, do some “rally around the captain” marketing. 

If it was always co captains that’ll stick regardless 

8 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Seems a bit drawn out. Give Dahlin the C, Tuch, Thompson, Cozens the A and let’s be done with it.

We who are familiar with last years team would tend to agree.  But there's a new coach and several new players.  If one of the additions really sets the tone in training camp, maybe Lindy gives him a letter.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Won’t be co-captains I don’t think 

Would be a weak decision so maybe I’m just biased, but I still don’t think it happens 

Did you consider the Drury/Briere decision weak?  I'm honestly not sure how I felt about that situation or how I would feel about a co-captain decision now either. Just curious since it's an easy comparison.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Well Ruff has been around since they hired him but I get your point. So could be, maybe they know internally. Time will tell. 

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Here you go.

"not found"

I stand corrected. 

5 hours ago, LTS said:

Did you consider the Drury/Briere decision weak?  I'm honestly not sure how I felt about that situation or how I would feel about a co-captain decision now either. Just curious since it's an easy comparison.

It’s hard to even compare and contrast my thoughts from then to now considering the chasm of time in between: I’d have to go back to the mid-way point of my life between my birth and today to see. That was 19 years ago and I was 19 at the time 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

It’s hard to even compare and contrast my thoughts from then to now considering the chasm of time in between: I’d have to go back to the mid-way point of my life between my birth and today to see. That was 19 years ago and I was 19 at the time 

Animated GIF

• Haha (+1) 2