Buffalo Bills 2024 Thread

That Aud Smell

19 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

JA is absolutely the league MVP at this point.  And other teams are starting to think about Joe Brady as a HC.

BUT their next 3 games are very tough:

at Baltimore

at Houston

at NY Jets

...and for that matter the 5 after that are no walk in the park either.

Go Bills.  What a great freaking team they are, and fun to root for too.

And just think, Monday night football gets to follow up this level of WB perfection with Will Levi’s vs. whoever Miami throws out there next week. 

It was a great win.  The play calling was smart to go through the air against a team missing its top 3 DBs.

The defense had a pretty easy night against an offense that could not execute.  Playing a team with the most dropped passes over the past few years.  The Jags are broken.

Miami is an overrated team and once they lost Tua they lost all shots at being successful.  The Cardinals were the best team they played so far and even they aren't looking so spectacular.

The upcoming games against Baltimore and Houston will prove a lot. I have confidence but I think the defense will be tested more than it has the past two weeks. The offense will have to execute like it has been.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LTS said:

It was a great win.  The play calling was smart to go through the air against a team missing its top 3 DBs.

The defense had a pretty easy night against an offense that could not execute.  Playing a team with the most dropped passes over the past few years.  The Jags are broken.

Miami is an overrated team and once they lost Tua they lost all shots at being successful.  The Cardinals were the best team they played so far and even they aren't looking so spectacular.

The upcoming games against Baltimore and Houston will prove a lot. I have confidence but I think the defense will be tested more than it has the past two weeks. The offense will have to execute like it has been.

It is so hard to really get a grasp on how good/bad a team is just 3 weeks into the season. A lot of times week 1 can be a wildcard/tossup.  In the NFL, I don't really even start to do my own personal 'power rankings) until everyone plays at least 4 games.

With that said, it looks like Miami and Arizona are middle-of-the-road teams (someplace between the 12-20th best teams, and Jax right now is in the bottom 10.  It'll be really nice if/when Buffalo plays a consensus top 10 team and handles them.

Here's all I'll say about who we've played. You gotta win the games you play. 

The Jags lost by 3 to Miami and 6 to the Browns. They lost by 37 to Buffalo. Cardinals, smoked the rams and lost by 7 to the Lions. 

What I'm saying is I think Jacksonville is probably better than just their record although, they have major problems. The cardinals are probably better than a 1-2 team but again, win the games you play. If we look at buffalo's 3 wins, I think they are against 2 weak opponents and a potential wild card team. They dismantled all 3 on offense and only had issues with 1 on defense... for 1 half. 

We'll know in 3 weeks who Buffalo is I think. Ravens, Texans, Jets all road games and then we also have a resurgent Seattle on the road. If you go even 3-2 in the next 5 games, we're doing good. We manage somethin better like 5-0... I don't even know but I'd be open to saying Buffalo is the best team. 

One game at a time. Next up,  Baltimore. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hasn't there been enough of a sample size for the Jags to conclude that Trevor Lawrence is sorta as.s?

Bully for Damar for getting that INT -- but holy jeebus. Dude on the PA sound board would have won an NFL in-game fan experience trophy if he'd cued up Styx "Come Sail Away."

rLqsno.gif

Edited by That Aud Smell

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Trevor Lawrence is what the critics thought Josh Allen would be.

Weighing Options Are You Sure GIF

Trevor Lawrence is a below average game manager.

I'm not sure what critics thought Josh Allen would be, but I think it was more in the nature of a guy who would do some crazy sh1t but would not be consistent enough to be a good NFL QB. Like a more athletic Jeff George maybe.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

.. who just got paid 275 Mil for 5 years. 

When will some owners show some restraint ? See Cleveland, Dallas, LA Chargers and more.. 

Joe Brady can expect some HC interviews in 6 months.. 

Edited by Night Train
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

Those few fan shots last night of the people wearing Lawrence wigs had to have been one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen. It’s like going to a Batman movie and dressing up like Arnold’s Mr. Freeze. 

Mr Freeze GIF

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Night Train said:

.. who just got paid 275 Mil for 5 years. 

When will some owners show some restraint ? See Cleveland, Dallas, LA Chargers and more.. 

Joe Brady can expect some HC interviews in 6 months.. 

If current trends mostly hold, Allen is going to get Joe Brady a HC gig for the 2025 season.

18 minutes ago, shrader said:

Those few fan shots last night of the people wearing Lawrence wigs had to have been one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen. It’s like going to a Batman movie and dressing up like Arnold’s Mr. Freeze. 

We were walking up Abbott to the stadium last night. And there was a dude ahead of us in a teal Lawrence jersey who had actual hair similar to Lawrence's -- just think more along the lines of 40 year old dude who's a regular at Jacksonville's most popular strip clubs.

As we caught sight of him, my kid says with expert timing: "Trevor! Why aren't you at the stadium yet?"

Gave me such a chuckle.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Weighing Options Are You Sure GIF

I'm not sure what critics thought Josh Allen would be, but I think it was more in the nature of a guy who would do some crazy sh1t but would not be consistent enough to be a good NFL QB. Like a more athletic Jeff George maybe.

Eh.  Fair enough.

I meant it in the sense that people acknowledged both Allen's and Lawrence's physical gifts but questioned whether they'd be able to operate at the NFL level.

Seeing as I had nothing better to do after the Sabres game--and considering how often the Bills game was mentioned during the Sabres broadcast--I decided to give watching football another try after going 2 years without watching a single game in full (or even half). In fact, the last NFL game I remember intentionally sitting down to watch was the New Years Eve game in 201 7 that let Buffalo sneak into the playoffs--and that was the only game that season I remember watching. So it's been realistically 8+ years since I cared about the NFL. I grew up a Steelers fan, but always had a soft spot for Buffalo since that was the "local" team. Part of the change in interest away from football, but particularly the NFL, was due to factors outside the league and I'll be the first to admit that. I was always a Nittany Lions college football fan first and I was extremely disappointed with the Penn State child abuse affair--disappointed enough I started rooting for Ohio State out of spite. Plus I just got older and realized I had other things I wanted to do with my time. That being said, a big part I stopped watching was simple: the games are just too slow and the pace of play was affecting the on-field product. Add to that there is a limit to the level of commercialization I am willing to endure and the NFL has exceeded it. 

Anyway, I can't say I watched this game in full as I had to do some farm chores at sunset, but it was close enough to count. I watched the first half, missed half time and the third quarter, and came back for the start of the fourth. So, based on the part of the game I missed, Buffalo actually lost 7-3. Therefore, I'm taking full credit for the absolute hammering of a win and you are all welcome. As a gesture of goodwill, I'm willing to auction off my viewership skills for playoffs and critical games to whichever team is willing to pay me the most. I should add, the last time I attended a football game was 2008 where I went to 3 Steelers home games and the Divisional round game at Heinz Field. The Steelers won the Super Bowl that season. In game attendance can be negotiated separate from viewing.

For what it's worth from a relatively outside-the-football-sphere perspective, the sport is still painfully slow to watch and I didn't really enjoy it, but I didn't hate it either. I mean, I can absolutely find watching a team dominate another team in any sport entertaining even if I don't like the sport itself (let me tell you about Curling during the Olympics). That's what this was, but even that still failed to deliver to some capacity. I know people love football and I did as well at one point, but the quality of the broadcasts has really gone downhill. For a MNF broadcast, it was underwhelming and the color commentary as well as the play-by-play was just bad. Maybe it's rose-tinted glasses, but I don't remember watching MNF 12 years ago and thinking, "it sounds like they know less about what's going on right now on the field than I do watching at home."

Hell, when I got up at the start of the half time show, they were literally discussing whether Josh Allen is "underrated" and then all agreeing that he's "underrated."  That's when I called it quits and went outside to close up. Even the MNF crew can't grasp the difference between "underappreciated" and "underrated" when they're the ones who tell people what to think. If you really believe Josh Allen is 'underrated' Mr. MNF guy, maybe you should look at who rates him? I can hand you a mirror if you need. Do you just ignore all the stats put up during the broadcast showing just how dominant he is? Or is this just a talking line because you've literally got nothing better to talk about? But it just goes to show the level of commercialization. Players from smaller markets--or markets where teammates aren't dating famous pop stars--are always going to be underappreciated by MNF and the NFL because they don't drive revenue  the same way as the Dak Prescotts and Patrick Mahomes of the league. 

And, now to come full circle, the last college football game I watched was the Sugar Bowl on New Years Day 2021 between Ohio State and Clemson. I was home for the holidays and my folks put the game on. Having been an Ohio State years earlier--even if only out of spite--I figured I would sit down and watch. Plus it was COVID so it wasn't like I was going anywhere. All I really remember from the game's commentary was the seemingly endless discussion about Trevor Lawrence being this future NFL star QB and how he was going to be a franchise-changing guy. All I remember from the game itself was a QB with some seriously questionable football IQ, but all the college football talent in the world.

Glad to see that still appears to be an accurate profile.

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Eh.  Fair enough.

I meant it in the sense that people acknowledged both Allen's and Lawrence's physical gifts but questioned whether they'd be able to operate at the NFL level.

Well that's a different point than the one you made initially upthread -- that Lawrence has become what critics said Allen would be.

I also don't think the point immediately above is accurate. Lawrence was widely regarded as an elite pro prospect. Just by way of example, Mel Kiper said he'd only ever rated a few QB prospects higher than Lawrence (the one that sticks out is Andrew Luck).

I love the way the NFL keeps their stats. I just stumbled my way into mathematically the greatest Bills QB of all time. Matt Cassel played a single snap with the team and has a 1-0 record. Good luck topping that one, any other QB out there. 

Edited by shrader
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RochesterExpat said:

Hell, when I got up at the start of the half time show, they were literally discussing whether Josh Allen is "underrated" and then all agreeing that he's "underrated."  That's when I called it quits and went outside to close up. Even the MNF crew can't grasp the difference between "underappreciated" and "underrated" when they're the ones who tell people what to think. If you really believe Josh Allen is 'underrated' Mr. MNF guy, maybe you should look at who rates him?

This is a reference to an anonymous survey of 100 NFL players in which 11 named Allen as the most overrated player in the league.