Buffalo Bills 2024 Thread

That Aud Smell

I thought my daughter nailed it: in a lot of ways, the Bills were pretty neutral; the Dolphins shot themselves in the foot early and often and appeared to have given up before half-time.

Their play calling and body language on the last drive of the first-half was god-awful and it stayed that way.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

While they certainly had their moments with some key stops, my untrained eye saw the Dolphins beating themselves more than the Bills defense forcing the turnovers. Had it not been for a gap from a receiver, a couple gaps by Tua, and the injury, I think the score could have looked a lot different. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "gaps." Benford played excellent defence and caused the first interception through tight coverage. The second interception was apparently a mistake on the part of the WR -- he reportedly did not run the route to the correct depth (maybe that's what you mean by gap). The third interception was a product of good team defence (nobody was open), pressure from a d-lineman, and Tua having a noodle arm.

I think McDermott played some cat and mouse with McDaniel. The Bills would surrender a couple chunk run plays, but then tighten up and shut things down.

The Dolphins were definitely a.ss in several respects -- O-Line, coaching principally come to mind. But the Bills D gets full credit for stomping out an inferior opponent.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I think at this point ,if there was any doubt,  Miami is nothing more but a middling, average team overall.

The 70 points against Denver and just the thought of how much speed they have on offense, at least for me, made me think they were/are more dangerous than they actually are. 

This year they barely beat Jacksonville at home, and lost to the Bills, who were in total control of the game even before Tua got hurt. The Bills team without its best LB and losing their 2nd best...with questions and inexperience at Safety....that is the team Miami had trouble moving the ball on.

Last year they were shut down in the playoffs. In the regular season they allowed 56 to Baltimore in getting obliterated by them...and in Playing Buffalo (twice), Baltimore, Dallas, KC, and Philly (The best teams they played), were a total of 1-5, with squeaking out a couple point victory against Dallas at home, and being outscored by 93 points in the other 5.

The Bills did what they needed, they had a few injuries, the flew to Miami on a short week, Allen may not have been 100%, and they got the Win.  Buffalo did what a good team does. Miami? Even with Tua I'm no longer worried about them, but without him, whatever.

The big story about the game is the Tua head injury. Beyond that, THIS is the game that 100% convinced me that viewing Miami as any kind of thread (even with Tua) is just frauduant.

They literally squeaked out the victory against Dallas last year.  Minus Dallas fumbling at the goal line, the Fishies lose that one as well.

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

the Bills were pretty neutral

tough crowds, man. the first james cook touchdown was a cause for joyous celebration. that was some andy reid sh1t right there. i wanted to kiss joe brady! then on another first half TD drive, allen made two throws that were objectively bonkers -- the bullet into shakir's abdomen amidst 3 closing defenders and that long throw to ty johnson (who cooked jalen ramsey!). lots to love from the bills.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Great game by Buffalo's defense after yet again starting questionably. The first interception was on the receiver not Tua and at that point they were moving the ball well. I do appreciate that it appears they can adjust well at halftime. Reminds me a bit of Kirby Smart. 

I worry a bit about the offense. Allen had short fields all game and the offensive line was great. Still, I felt like there wasn't much downfield unless Allen was scrambling but maybe I shouldn't worry because so far, the short stuff is working great. 

Great game and 11 days off is very good. Allen can rest up and so can anyone else. 

Kirby Smart?

Try Bellicheat.  Except for the fact he hasn't sold his soul (as evidenced by 0 SB's yet), there is a lot of Bellicheatian similarities in McDermott.  Always has a strong D with a next man up approach that keeps rolling.  They were missing the entire middle of their defense (Milano, Bernard, Johnson) for 50 or so minutes last night and gave up all of 10 points.

His teams almost always take over the 3rd Q (as you'd mentioned).

He has a willingness to walk away from guys that have been core pieces (Poyer, Hyde, Morse) when he and Beane expect they're ready to fall off the cliff.

Only missed the playoffs once so far as a HC.

• Like (+1) 1

McD, BB and JA are magnificent gifts to WNY from the sports gods.

If we are lucky and conduct ourselves in a deserving manner, we may have them for another decade.

And if we are extremely lucky the same thing will happen with the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Seems to be a lot of praise for the defense from last night.

While they certainly had their moments with some key stops, my untrained eye saw the Dolphins beating themselves more than the Bills defense forcing the turnovers. Had it not been for a gap from a receiver, a couple gaps by Tua, and the injury, I think the score could have looked a lot different. 

Admittedly I'm just an armchair QB and never played the game so I might not see the same things as some of you.

What am I missing?

Buffalo turned their offense off in 2nd half. It was either quick timing throws or hand offs. Also Buffalo on defense contributed to Tua making throws he did. The 2nd interception, Vonn is almost too Tua and he must chucks it. 

That's said, Buffalo will need another level on offense. They side seems a bit start stop.

I think part of it is Buffalo has a run game for the 1st time. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I worry a bit about the offense. Allen had short fields all game and the offensive line was great. Still, I felt like there wasn't much downfield unless Allen was scrambling but maybe I shouldn't worry because so far, the short stuff is working great. 

Passing was down precipitously in Week 1 acrost the league. There may be a legit trend going on. Defences are shelling up or whatever the hell they call it and offences are scheming to take what's being given (which is more running and more underneath stuff). I think about the fact that the Bills drafted Torrance -- a run blocking mauler, not so much a pass pro expert.

Also, I cannot stress enough how Joe Brady's play design on that first tuddy made me so, so happy. Was it stolen directly from Andy Reid? Sure. But it was executed perfectly.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "gaps." Benford played excellent defence and caused the first interception through tight coverage. The second interception was apparently a mistake on the part of the WR -- he reportedly did not run the route to the correct depth (maybe that's what you mean by gap). The third interception was a product of good team defence (nobody was open), pressure from a d-lineman, and Tua having a noodle arm.

I think McDermott played some cat and mouse with McDaniel. The Bills would surrender a couple chunk run plays, but then tighten up and shut things down.

The Dolphins were definitely a.ss in several respects -- O-Line, coaching principally come to mind. But the Bills D gets full credit for stomping out an inferior opponent.

Just going by memory, the first INT was off the receiver's shoulder and he should have caught it. Is that not right?

The 3rd was a good pressure by the D, but how many times will a QB not make a throwaway all the way out of bounds while under pressure? Seems like we caught a break there.

37 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

tough crowds, man. the first james cook touchdown was a cause for joyous celebration. that was some andy reid sh1t right there. i wanted to kiss joe brady! then on another first half TD drive, allen made two throws that were objectively bonkers -- the bullet into shakir's abdomen amidst 3 closing defenders and that long throw to ty johnson (who cooked jalen ramsey!). lots to love from the bills.

These were certainly good plays and the game was well-called.

The Bills were good and they didnt need to be anything more. The Fins were not.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Passing was down precipitously in Week 1 acrost the league. There may be a legit trend going on. Defences are shelling up or whatever the hell they call it and offences are scheming to take what's being given (which is more running and more underneath stuff). I think about the fact that the Bills drafted Torrance -- a run blocking mauler, not so much a pass pro expert.

Also, I cannot stress enough how Joe Brady's play design on that first tuddy made me so, so happy. Was it stolen directly from Andy Reid? Sure. But it was executed perfectly.

And the Bills, much like the Cheats used to under Brady, are perfectly content to run long drives and wait for the right opportunity to try for the long strike.  If they're going to give you underneath stuff that picks up 8 or 9 yards a pop, take it.  You rarely end up in a 3rd down situation that way and you keep your D off the field a bit longer.  Force them to take those plays away and then the long ball opportunities open up.  Like when a putz like Jaylen Ramsey covers Ty Johnson.  (Absolutely love watching Ramsey get torched.  Especially after he shoots his mouth off about Allen.)

3 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Just going by memory, the first INT was off the receiver's shoulder and he should have caught it. Is that not right?

The 3rd was a good pressure by the D, but how many times will a QB not make a throwaway all the way out of bounds while under pressure? Seems like we caught a break there.

Might want to ask the Titans QB that one.  😉 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Great game by Buffalo's defense after yet again starting questionably. The first interception was on the receiver not Tua and at that point they were moving the ball well. I do appreciate that it appears they can adjust well at halftime. Reminds me a bit of Kirby Smart. 

Great game and 11 days off is very good. Allen can rest up and so can anyone else. 

Passing yards for QBs is way down to start the season. Don’t know if Defences are taking the deep stuff away but it definitely an early trend to start the season league wide.

5 hours ago, Demoted said:

Of course all the talk is about Tua's injury and not the Bills win.

We have group chat for the group that watches the games at the Bills Backers bar and do pregame predictions. Mine was

Screenshot_20240913_120136_Messages.thumb.jpg.2301c8b72c551777a74b925109783e46.jpg

I think the Fins probably would have scored one more TD if Tua wasn't hurt, and the Bills would have countered.  Anyway, came pretty close.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Force them to take those plays away and then the long ball opportunities open up.  Like when a putz like Jaylen Ramsey covers Ty Johnson.  (Absolutely love watching Ramsey get torched.  Especially after he shoots his mouth off about Allen.)

Ramsey getting burned by Ty "Dolla Sign" Johnson was absolutely delicious. I didn't notice who had been in coverage until I watched highlights today.

Otoh, that wasn't so much the D giving up a shot over top as it was one of Allen's famous extended holy crap how did we make that throw plays.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I think at this point ,if there was any doubt,  Miami is nothing more but a middling, average team overall.

The 70 points against Denver and just the thought of how much speed they have on offense, at least for me, made me think they were/are more dangerous than they actually are. 

This year they barely beat Jacksonville at home, and lost to the Bills, who were in total control of the game even before Tua got hurt. The Bills team without its best LB and losing their 2nd best...with questions and inexperience at Safety....that is the team Miami had trouble moving the ball on.

Last year they were shut down in the playoffs. In the regular season they allowed 56 to Baltimore in getting obliterated by them...and in Playing Buffalo (twice), Baltimore, Dallas, KC, and Philly (The best teams they played), were a total of 1-5, with squeaking out a couple point victory against Dallas at home, and being outscored by 93 points in the other 5.

The Bills did what they needed, they had a few injuries, the flew to Miami on a short week, Allen may not have been 100%, and they got the Win.  Buffalo did what a good team does. Miami? Even with Tua I'm no longer worried about them, but without him, whatever.

The big story about the game is the Tua head injury. Beyond that, THIS is the game that 100% convinced me that viewing Miami as any kind of thread (even with Tua) is just frauduant.

McDaniel is all flash and no substance, all trick plays and no fundamentals. Sometimes I think McDermott is too boring in game planning but he always has a team that is good with the basics.  McDaniel puts an entertaining team on the field, but try walking before you run all over the place, Mike.

I should bookmark this post and just quote it every time the Bills play the Dolphins.

Also,

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Playing Allen was the best chance to win the game, but he was on a very strict list of what he was allowed to do.  He had precisely 2 runs:  One was kneeldown at the end of the first half.  The other was a 3 yard scramble that Josh normally have split the defenders and run it further, but he slid down as he approached them.  They kept him on a tight leash.  I honestly think he has a broken finger on his left hand.  He had one fumbled snap because of it; otherwise he did okay in a game were he was commanded to take it easy.

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

my untrained eye saw the Dolphins beating themselves more than the Bills defense forcing the turnovers.

Dolphins gonna Dolphin.  You just have to not panic and over-adjust.  Their offensive game is all misdirection and slight-of-hand.  If an opponent sticks with sounds fundamentals the Dolphins tend to settle down over a game and become easier to tame.  McDaniel plays a very high risk-high reward offense.  If it clicks the can put up 70.  If you simply play sound football against them, they score 10.

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

The pressure was strong and fast enough that Tua couldn't set up for the throw and couldn't get it past the sideline.  Great pressure created that pick.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Kudos to Von Miller. He's starting to look like the guy he was before the injury. Keep it up!

Hear, hear. Another encouraging development. It appears that he's kept on a pitch count of sorts, which should allow him to be fresh for key situations.

• Agree 1