Buffalo Bills 2024 Thread

That Aud Smell

2 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

If McDermott is running the D today, do we fare better?

I really think it's just the first game and Cardinals do have a good offense with a playmaking QB. Next game is only 5 days away so we will quickly learn more.

Also Shakir is dangerous.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

D was off in the first half. ST's failed in coverage. 

Thank God for Josh, who overcame an early fumble to account for 4 TD's . 9 different players caught a pass.

It's the first game and lots to clean up. Go Bills. Beat Miami. 

The injury to Taron Johnson,a second team All Pro nickelback, really hurts them.  Cam Lewis settled down a lot in the second half, everybody got on board and the defense did much better in the second half.  

The 2 UB DBs, Lewis and J’marcus Ingram, played a lot in back up roles. 

Special Teams issues are way to commonplace in past few years.  It’s says something about either the ST Coach or the roster strength.  

Allen was great, 4 TDs.   #0 got the most targets and catches, including a great contested ball catch to set up a TD   

Lots of veteran experience is gone from this team.   As with most week 1 games, there is lots to clean up.  But, they won a tight game in week 1.  If this team can stay healthy they might grow and get better as the season goes on.  I’m on board   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Night Train said:

One more thing. That Personal Foul penalty early that never happened was without explanation. Murray becomes the first lady of American theater with the dramatics and the ref buys it. Players completely missed him.  Ref should be fined or suspended. Gave them points. 

The refs returned the favor later when the Bills got their first TD of the game. Called a roughing the passer on a clean sack.

27 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The injury to Taron Johnson,a second team All Pro nickelback, really hurts them

Bills' newly all pro defensive players and an injury. Name a more iconic duo.

Pretty much everything everyone was saying about the Bills proved true.

Roster turnover/injuries on defence a concern.

Offence will be by committee

Any team that has Josh Allen will always be in it.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sure nearly every Bills fan loved the Allen hurdle into the end zone for the td but tbh I blurted out while he did that that it was stupid.  He can't do that ***** and expect to play a whole season.  Hopefully the hand is okay.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

24 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

The refs returned the favor later when the Bills got their first TD of the game. Called a roughing the passer on a clean sack.

Bills' newly all pro defensive players and an injury. Name a more iconic duo.

I think it was the initial punch to the face that made him call the penalty. The rest was clean. But you can’t hit a QB in the face, ever.

Thank god for Josh. If we didn’t have him, it’s 1st and goal from the 2 with 30 seconds left.😂

4 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

refs actively inserting themselves into this game. Disgusting. Their union is too strong 

Defense is bad. Historically bad.  AZ hasn’t scored in 3 straight drives in nearly 20 years lol

Josh had the jitters. Offense has been fine outside the dumb fumble 

The refs were inserting themselves in the game, but not for 1 team or the other.  They were just really bad.  Like Sean Hocculi or Jerome Bulger bad. 

Unlike those 2 though, they blew calls both ways.  And would rather have several other crews than the one we got; but they were at least better than those other 2 crews as they had no clue but didn't have a horse in the race.

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

If McDermott is running the D today, do we fare better?

Doubtful.  This was game 1 (remember how Luke Wilson looked in game 1 last year?) against a QB who didn't take a preseason snap and has only 5 games of film in the last nearly 2 years.  And, their best defender was lost in the 1st series.

They adjusted at 1/2 time & took command.  If not for the kick return, the Bills win this one going away.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Indabuff said:

I'm sure nearly every Bills fan loved the Allen hurdle into the end zone for the td but tbh I blurted out while he did that that it was stupid.  He can't do that ***** and expect to play a whole season.  Hopefully the hand is okay.

I’m of both minds with Josh’s Superman antics.

We sit in the 300s right at that goal line — watching that play live was nearly transcendental — people all around me losing their minds, hands of their heads, mouths opened wide. Spectacular.

Otoh, he’s *going* to get himself killed doing that. Hopefully his hand is okay.

13 hours ago, #freejame said:

That was a very underwhelming game. I don’t know how or why anyone has seasons tickets. What a drain of a day. Good times were had, nonetheless. 

Being a STH, having been at that game, I can say: That game was an absolute blast and thrill ride. If you found it underwhelming and a drain of a day, I’ll submit that your experience was not a function of the game itself.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Taro T said:

The refs were inserting themselves in the game, but not for 1 team or the other.  They were just really bad.  Like Sean Hocculi or Jerome Bulger bad. 

Like Angel Hernandez calling balls and strikes bad.

19 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I’m of both minds with Josh’s Superman antics.

We sit in the 300s right at that goal line — watching that play live was nearly transcendental — people all around me losing their minds, hands of their heads, mouths opened wide. Spectacular.

Otoh, he’s *going* to get himself killed doing that. Hopefully his hand is okay.

Being a STH, having been at that game, I can say: That game was an absolute blast and thrill ride. If you found it underwhelming and a drain of a day, I’ll submit that your experience was not a function of the game itself.

I didn’t say the game was a drain, the day was a drain. We left at 730 to drop my son off and didn’t get home with him until 650 that evening. When you mix in all of the other events of the day (tailgating, traffic, grocery trips the day before, walking to and from ECC, etc) it leads to a very draining day. Considering I know probably a dozen of STH (including my family) who have given up their seasons for that very reason, I don’t have any issue saying it was a drain of a day. Kudos to those with the wherewithal to attend every game.

As far as the game is concerned, yeah, it was underwhelming. There’s plenty of recaps saying the same as well. I guess it depends on your exception for the season. Brady called a very meh game the first half, our defense wasn’t overly impressive, and our special teams were bad. To me, when there is an expectation to win, coming back against a meh team to win a nail biter isn’t that thrilling. Josh is though. 

Edited by #freejame
Expanded on game thoughts
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I didn’t say the game was a drain, the day was a drain. We left at 730 to drop my son off and didn’t get home with him until 650 that evening. When you mix in all of the other events of the day (tailgating, traffic, grocery trips the day before, walking to and from ECC, etc) it leads to a very draining day. Considering I know probably a dozen of STH (including my family) who have given up their seasons for that very reason, I don’t have any issue saying it was a drain of a day. Kudos to those with the wherewithal to attend every game.

Ah -- okay. Well, on this front, I can't and won't take issue with what you're saying. They're fun -- but those days are beat downs as well. And that's coming from someone who doesn't drink before or during the game. (Well, there is an obligatory good luck shot before we leave our parking area -- but it's not even a full shot and hardly counts.) I'm starting to look for someone to split my seasons, actually -- for this exact reason.

5 minutes ago, #freejame said:

As far as the game is concerned, yeah, it was underwhelming. There’s plenty of recaps saying the same as well. I guess it depends on your exception for the season.

You need some timeline/algorithm hygiene if you're getting recaps saying that the game was "underwhelming." That was one of the more fun games we've attended in the past 5 years.

Fun Times Exhibit "A":

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, #freejame said:

That was a very underwhelming game. I don’t know how or why anyone has seasons tickets. What a drain of a day. Good times were had, nonetheless. 

That was a below average experience.  I don't know why anyone would go to that restaurant.   The service was slow.  We really enjoyed the fabulous food though.  

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

That was a below average experience.  I don't know why anyone would go to that restaurant.   The service was slow.  We really enjoyed the fabulous food though.  

That was a very underwhelming game.—this thought relates specifically to the game itself  

I don’t know how or why anyone has seasons tickets. What a drain of a day.—this relates to the overall experience of going to a Bills game and what is often times a 10+ hour day.

Good times were had, nonetheless.—this is my overall summary of the day

My goodness, I know it’s not worded in the most goodliest (shoutout NS) of ways, but this really shouldn’t be a difficult concept for most people who go to Bills games to understand. Hopefully this is clear for everyone. Go Bills. Play better. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

29 minutes ago, #freejame said:

My goodness, I know it’s not worded in the most goodliest (shoutout NS) of ways, but this really shouldn’t be a difficult concept for most people who go to Bills games to understand. Hopefully this is clear for everyone. Go Bills. Play better. 

To be fair, there was a lot to unpack in the original post. It was helpful to break it down as you did.

37 minutes ago, #freejame said:

That was a very underwhelming game.—this thought relates specifically to the game itself  

I don’t know how or why anyone has seasons tickets. What a drain of a day.—this relates to the overall experience of going to a Bills game and what is often times a 10+ hour day.

Good times were had, nonetheless.—this is my overall summary of the day

I know, it just reads funny. 

A 1:00pm home game can be an 8 to 10 hour experience for the normal fan that gets there early enough tail gate prior to the game, and even longer if you hang around and tail gate again afterwards.  Die hard season ticket holders do this with a passion.  The day drains me too, but for several past decades it didn't, and for most of the crowd it is an experience they savor.   Football is your entire day when you go to a Sunday Bills home game.  

I thought they played well after a rough start.   Since preseason got cut to 3 games week 1 has been rough for most teams.   Cinci lost to NE, Miami squeaked by Jax, etc.  

Coming back from a 2 TD deficit to win is not underwhelming to me, but the Bills have been successful recently and the bar is higher than it has been for much of this teams past.  

This season will be challenging.  They are retooling, playing without many key veterans from the past seasons,  and still trying to maintain their past high level of performance.    I do not see a juggernaut Bills Team, but with Allen and hopefully some other key contributors, they can still be a winning team.  

Edited by Pimlach