Buffalo Bills 2024 Thread

That Aud Smell

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

My point was Jerry was from Mississippi Valley State U, not a football powerhouse. But you're right. He was a high draft pick.

As for Andreesen, sometimes your eyes are telling you something. You see a guy step on the field and play against the Steelers starters, make huge plays, all while he is also calling defensive signals, you have to admit that was a special performance. Now you can discount it because he was a camp tryout player, but if you saw the same performance from a 1st round pick, what would you be saying then? People get so caught up in pedigree they miss what's right in front of them.

Hopefully the coaches know how to evaluate that. they see him do 10 times (if not more) the reps in practice vs other players.  Hopefully they can tell that, and hopefully he IS a diamond-in-the-rough that the team has found.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

As for Andreesen, sometimes your eyes are telling you something. You see a guy step on the field and play against the Steelers starters, make huge plays, all while he is also calling defensive signals, you have to admit that was a special performance. Now you can discount it because he was a camp tryout player, but if you saw the same performance from a 1st round pick, what would you be saying then? People get so caught up in pedigree they miss what's right in front of them.

I resisted it for a while, as I very casually watched the game. But as time went on and he was still in there, still balling out, I had to hand it to the guy. He every bit looked the part of an NFL LB. Was it just a flash in the pan? A moment in time? Or a sign of things to come? We'll learn soon enough, I reckon.

30 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I resisted it for a while, as I very casually watched the game. But as time went on and he was still in there, still balling out, I had to hand it to the guy. He every bit looked the part of an NFL LB. Was it just a flash in the pan? A moment in time? Or a sign of things to come? We'll learn soon enough, I reckon.

And, btw, stated this earlier, but to clarify.  Personally do believe there's a chance that Andreessen makes the 53 man roster especially with all the injuries they end up with at LB.  But if he DOESN'T make the Bills, who knew him better than any other pro team did because he grew up and played college ball in their own back yard, and who have a tendency to have LBs resemble Spinal Tap's drummer roster, and also have seen him every single day in camp; then WHY would we expect another team to steal him from the Bills and keep him off the Bills PS?

MAYBE Pittsburgh grabs him for their 53 man roster because they saw him for a full week and have most of a full game of film against them and maybe because of history Shoen and Daboll decide they want to pop him onto their roster essentially sight unseen.  But why would anybody else do that for an UDFA out of a middling school that plays in the MAC who will have all of 3 NFL preseason games under his belt when they have to choose to grab him over any of the 1,200+ players that will become available in the next 2 weeks?

Because he has 1 really good game's worth of film in the very 1st game he ever got to truly live his dream and be a starter on his childhood's favorite team?

It's like every single year that we worry about guys the Sabres are sending down to Ra-cha-cha that won't clear waivers because they're so good, but we forget that those guys weren't good enough to make the roster for a team that just suffered its 13th consecutive playoff less season and that there are roughly 650 other players that just got waived at the same time that personnel departments have to sift through.

(And, with all that said, watch him get grabbed by the Cowboys 2 weeks from now.  😱  D'oh!)

29 minutes ago, Taro T said:

(And, with all that said, watch him get grabbed by the Cowboys 2 weeks from now.  😱  D'oh!)

He would immediately join the pantheon of try-hard-white-guys that are IRRATIONALLY BELOVED by a couple people in most fantasy football leagues (Witten, Beasley spring to mind). Those FFB contestants would clamour to have league rules changed so that they could select individual D players and pick Sean Lee 2.0.

• Haha (+1) 1

Taking my son, brother, and wife to the preseason game today. Expecting to make it a quarter or so with the little guy. The wife and I are going to the home opener in a few weeks for her first real game so this is more an opportunity to check it all out for her. 

• Like (+1) 2

Good for Joe A. Initial 53 with waiver day being the last hurdle.  900+ guys cut today. . More moves tomorrow. 

Bills get a KR from the Jets.  Brandon Codrington. Small CB here strictly to return kicks.  From the Jets site. 

The North Carolina Central product immediately made an impact for the Jets this preseason, breaking off multiple big returns on punts and kickoffs. He looked fast every time he touched the ball and always seemed like a threat to make a big play.

However, Codrington is very undersized and raw as a cornerback. He currently does not provide much defensive value and would make the roster solely because of his special teams contributions.

9 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Reports are the Bills and Chargers are expected to be the first teams to sell 10% ownership to PE. 

Will be hilarious when private equity can own 100% of a team and so they strip it of all usable assets over about 5 years, crater the product into the ground, and then sell it for whatever while giving huge paybacks to their PE clients. You know, like what most private equity firms do with brands these days... see Red Lobster. 

Does Ryan Reynolds have a private equity firm? He would be the perfect co-owner for Bills' fans. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Night Train said:

Not one of the Bills cuts were claimed by anybody. Most all back on the practice squad, where they make 225-385K practicing with the team until getting bumped up. 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-sign-16-players-to-2024-practice-squad

Bills didn't make any waivers claims either.

Though they did trade for the returner from the J-E-S-T jest Jest JEST and the former J-E-S-T jest Jest JEST and Fishies backup QB that Milano nearly killed folding him in half like a pocket knife.

• Haha (+1) 2

It does not surprise me that the waived Bills players weren't claimed. Years gone by, you could count on several waived Bills players being claimed. This season, that distinction more belongs to Green Bay.

The Bills are in the process of re-tooling and rebuilding on the fly. They have a massive dead cap hit this season. They are pretty thin.

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bobby-babich-will-call-the-bills-defensive-plays

I was surprised to read this.  McDermott as a play caller was excellent after the Eagles thrashing last year.  I did not expect him to give that up.  

the guy takes a lot of grief.

but i try to keep things in perspective. he fairly ripped it up last year calling plays for a patchwork D.

19 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bobby-babich-will-call-the-bills-defensive-plays

I was surprised to read this.  McDermott as a play caller was excellent after the Eagles thrashing last year.  I did not expect him to give that up.  

Really? I was expecting this the second Bobby took the reigns.

McDermott doesn't usually do those types of things, he let's his DC call the plays. The only time he will take over is if the defense isn't going well.

Edited by Demoted

2 hours ago, Demoted said:

Really? I was expecting this the second Bobby took the reigns.

McDermott doesn't usually do those types of things, he let's his DC call the plays. The only time he will take over is if the defense isn't going well.

Yes it did surprise me. Babich was linebackers coach a year ago. This is his first prominent role.  So I figured he was going to learn on the job while McD continued to call plays.  Like I said, McClappy was in a groove down the stretch last year. 

• Disagree 1

Article as of today:

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/09/05/official-nfl-team-valuations-2024.html

30.Buffalo Bills  $5.35B

31.Arizona Cardinals

32.Cincinnati Bengals

EBIDTA is interesting (Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization)

Dallas at $550 million

New England at $250 million

Rams at $243 million

Majority of other teams (20 of them) at least $100 million 

Buffalo?  Dead last at just $29 million

Cincy is 2nd last next to Buffalo, but still almost 45% higher.

The new Stadium is great and all, but give it 10 or so years, and once Pegula is gone (maybe before), I find it hard to see how the team will stay in Buffalo long term when there are so many other cities that can generate 4x, 5 times, or more revenue than here.   Unless the Bills find a way to tap into that Toronto/southern Ontario market/money a lot better than they did last time...

Difference between Bills revenue at 29th and Seattle revenue at 16th is 51million or about 10% so I don't think the NHL is worried about the Bills producing revenue. Especially as the Bills themselves have become more of a brand under Josh Allen and the Bills Mafia. The real concern IMPO for Buffalo is not the Pegula's selling but the post Josh Allen era. I don't think the NFL would do well if the Bills were bad for a long stretch because that would impact the brand of the Bills. 

I don't understand enough about how they calculated EBIDTA to comment on that at all. That said, I bet the new stadium helps more than we realize considering the old stadium is... let's say rough around the edges.