Buffalo Bills 2024 Thread

That Aud Smell

21 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Starting to feel a bit bubbly to me.

Especially with younger people seemingly less interested in spectator sports. I'm sure it's my personal bubble, but all of people seem to be moving to participatory sports.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

If by that you mean that the bubble might soon burst, I think we are years away from that. Between gambling, tech and a world market, I think top end guys are going to approach $80M per year, at least in basketball and football.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sorry to drop hockey in the football thread, but I’m real curious to see what the spree of contracts Adams has handed out over the past few years look like in a few years.

Thompson and Cozens already rank 34 and 36 among centres with 6 years left in the deals.

Always wondered how much influence the analytics department had on that thought process.

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Especially with younger people seemingly less interested in spectator sports. I'm sure it's my personal bubble, but all of people seem to be moving to participatory sports.

This seems like a thing. My youngest - still in high school - has developed a solid crew of friends. They're a good bunch. Pretty middle of the road dudes. There are 6 of them, including my kid. The other day, I asked my guy - "hey, would you  ever want to use the [Bills] seasons to take _____ to a game? that'd be fine with me. i'd help you pull it off [parking, etc.]."

Came the response: "Nah. None of them are into the Bills, really. They're more casuals. And definitely none of them would want to go to the stadium."

I compare that vibe to when I was in high school or college. Especially when the Bills were good? Feels like the times they are a' changing.

8 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

That's the beauty of Beane's work. Josh is paid. The O line should be solid and there are lots of lower cost skill players in their offense. Brady will send them to the line of scrimmage every play with the defense having to defend against the run and the pass, from sideline to sideline and all the way to the endzone. None of that nonsense where everyone in the stadium knows what play is called. Let the other teams worry about the bubbles. We got Josh and as long as Josh stays healthy and focused I'm liking the chances this coming season. 

Edited by irregularly irregular
spelling and grammar matter
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Even in a reset year, the Bills can win a Super Bowl because Josh Allen. I think compared to the last couple years, we will have a far more balanced attack that isn't simply, "diggs is open somewhere" and that was the biggest downside of the previous OC. Between Cooks, Kincaid, Coleman, Shakir, and Samuel, the Bills probably have as much talent as they did with Diggs, Davis, Knox. It will just look different and that is probably a good thing, Buffalo needed to get younger and more dynamic. 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

New OC, new looks. All our offense has to do is be serviceable 

No way should anyone think it is acceptable that a Josh Allen led offense be serviceable. If you have one of the top two or three franchise qbs in the league, the expectation should be a prolific and dangerous offense, particularly when your defense tends to disappear in the playoffs.

• Agree 1

The internet is having an absolute field day with this observation from Matt Parino (whom I generally find to be a good Bills beat reporter):

"Claypool has been the Bills’ most consistent receiver during OTAs and is setting the stage for what should be a run at the 53-man roster. He made the most explosive play of the day, catching a deep bomb from backup quarterback Mitch Trubisky during 11-on-11. Once he gets past his defender, it’s hard for the safeties to catch up and rookie Cole Bishop learned that lesson on the play, which would have gone for a touchdown in a game."

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2024/06/buffalo-bills-otas-week-3-observations-von-miller-flashing-keon-coleman-gets-physical.html

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

The internet is having an absolute field day with this observation from Matt Parino (whom I generally find to be a good Bills beat reporter):

"Claypool has been the Bills’ most consistent receiver during OTAs and is setting the stage for what should be a run at the 53-man roster. He made the most explosive play of the day, catching a deep bomb from backup quarterback Mitch Trubisky during 11-on-11. Once he gets past his defender, it’s hard for the safeties to catch up and rookie Cole Bishop learned that lesson on the play, which would have gone for a touchdown in a game."

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2024/06/buffalo-bills-otas-week-3-observations-von-miller-flashing-keon-coleman-gets-physical.html

In what way? 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

In what way? 

Take a spin around Google News or Twitter -- search Claypool Bills (and maybe add the term Parrino and/or consistent). Dozens -- likely soon to exceed a hundred -- writers, accounts, AI-based aggregators are out there lulz'ing it up that the Bills "best" WR is an NFL castoff.

I mean, whatever. But, still.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Like, kids are tweet bombing.

Probably. But I'm talking about ostensibly legitimate accounts, outlets, etc.

24 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Take a spin around Google News or Twitter -- search Claypool Bills (and maybe add the term Parrino and/or consistent). Dozens -- likely soon to exceed a hundred -- writers, accounts, AI-based aggregators are out there lulz'ing it up that the Bills "best" WR is an NFL castoff.

I mean, whatever. But, still.

Probably. But I'm talking about ostensibly legitimate accounts, outlets, etc.

And people looked at the Bills askance when they brought in "over the hill" "way past his prime" "nothing at all left in the tank" James Lofton.

Sometimes guys just need an opportunity in a new surroundings.  (And sometimes, it still goes kerplewy.  But he's definitely worth taking a shot on.)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Further on Claypool: TIL he's Canadian! The proof is here:

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

In what way? 

There is the possibility that he gets his career back on track with the Bills. He didn’t get to show much after he left the Stillers.  

• Like (+1) 2

Kinda have a soft spot for Claypool because he is one of a very few B.C. kids to have a measure of success in the NFL.

I have no idea if he deserves the hatred he gets on social media, but I do know what I think of social media.

Edited by dudacek
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

And people looked at the Bills askance when they brought in "over the hill" "way past his prime" "nothing at all left in the tank" James Lofton.

Sometimes guys just need an opportunity in a new surroundings.  (And sometimes, it still goes kerplewy.  But he's definitely worth taking a shot on.)

It wasn’t so much that people thought Lofton was over the hill and past his prime as it was the Raiders being loaded with younger, cheaper, and talented WRs which made Lofton’s high salary at the time expendable. The prevailing opinion at the time Polian acquired him was that it was a no lose move to get a first ballot HOFer for the $100 waiver fee. We still owe Chris Burkett a big thanks for quitting on the team early on that season and making the room for Lofton on the roster. It took him several weeks to get acclimated to Marchibroda’s offense and working with Kelly, which is understandable given it’s difficult to do that in season, but once he cracked the lineup, we all saw that he still had that HOF talent. 

37 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It wasn’t so much that people thought Lofton was over the hill and past his prime as it was the Raiders being loaded with younger, cheaper, and talented WRs which made Lofton’s high salary at the time expendable. The prevailing opinion at the time Polian acquired him was that it was a no lose move to get a first ballot HOFer for the $100 waiver fee. We still owe Chris Burkett a big thanks for quitting on the team early on that season and making the room for Lofton on the roster. It took him several weeks to get acclimated to Marchibroda’s offense and working with Kelly, which is understandable given it’s difficult to do that in season, but once he cracked the lineup, we all saw that he still had that HOF talent. 

Lofton started all 16 games the previous year and didn't even average 2 catches per game that year.  He played his way out of the lineup before he was actually out of the lineup as a Raider.

Yeah, people thought he was over the hill and past his prime.

Agree with the rest of it.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Kinda have a soft spot for Claypool because he is one of a very few B.C. kids to have a measure of success in the NFL.

I have no idea if he deserves the hatred he gets on social media, but I do know what I think of social media.

Learning he’s Canadian has changed everything for me. (Well … not *everything.* I mean “everything” insofar as my view of Chase Claypool is concerned.)

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Lofton started all 16 games the previous year and didn't even average 2 catches per game that year.  He played his way out of the lineup before he was actually out of the lineup as a Raider.

Yeah, people thought he was over the hill and past his prime.

Agree with the rest of it.

He averaged a shade under 20 yards a catch on his 28 receptions. The leading receiver on that squad only had 43 receptions, or a paltry 2.6 a game, less than one more reception per game than Lofton. The Raiders had crap QBs so it’s not as though they were some sort of passing juggernaut. He still had the athletic chops to play in the league, but his high salary, the third highest on the Raiders when they signed him, simply made him expendable when guys like Gault and Fernandez were giving them the same kind of deep threat. 

I remember discussions about his age, but none about him being washed up, so I’ll just agree to disagree on that point.

22 hours ago, dudacek said:

to be fair, no athlete deserves the hatred they get on social media, at least not for how they play the game. Now if they commit actions outside the game that's another story.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/6/2024 at 3:39 PM, dudacek said:

have no idea if he deserves the hatred he gets on social media, but I do know what I think of social media.

The people that spew hate on social media are just doing it bmc they hate themselves in real life. It is nothing more than that. 

On 6/7/2024 at 1:41 PM, LTS said:

to be fair, no athlete deserves the hatred they get on social media, at least not for how they play the game. Now if they commit actions outside the game that's another story.

I’m a big Notre Dame fan and have always liked Claypool.  His physical abilities are great.  But the guy is an idiot.  
There was this play when he was with the Steelers with the clock running down and Claypool was too busy celebrating himself instead of getting back to the line.  That’s his problem.  He’s very much all about himself. 

28 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

I’m a big Notre Dame fan and have always liked Claypool.  His physical abilities are great.  But the guy is an idiot.  
There was this play when he was with the Steelers with the clock running down and Claypool was too busy celebrating himself instead of getting back to the line.  That’s his problem.  He’s very much all about himself. 

Here you go

• Like (+1) 1