2024 NHL DRAFT Talk

Spoonman

On 6/19/2024 at 7:48 AM, LGR4GM said:

Pronman mock:

Buffalo Sabres
11. Berkly Catton, C, Spokane (WHL)
43. Gabriel Eliasson, D, Hv71 Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
76. Timur Kol, D, Omsk Jr. (RUSSIA-JR.)
108. Dawson Cowan, G, Spokane (WHL)
109. Miguel Marques, RW, Lethbridge (WHL)
172. Fyodor Avramov, LW, Stupino Jr. (RUSSIA-JR.)
204. Roman Shokhrin, D, Loko-76 Yaroslavl (RUSSIA-JR.)
225. Charlie Major, C, Chicago (USHL)

When I got home from work, I went and compared his selections to where those guys currently sit on my consensus board (I currently have 177 players listed)

11.  Catton (5th)

43.  Eliasson (103rd)

76. Kol (101st)

108. Cowen (un-rated - but on my 36 player "other" list along with Miro Satan Jr).

109. Marques (64th)

172. Avramov (114th)

204. Shorkin (134th)

225. Major (Un-rated)

I have 59 players with nearly unanimous 1 or 2nd rd grades and he picks Eliasson? Kol in the 3rd is just as awful.  

Would honestly be shocked if Catton wasn’t the pick. If he’s the guy ranked up top that’s supposed to fall, that’s our MO

The chances of our draft board above us going in order and a player we have ranked above 11 not falling is almost zero mathematically 

It’s almost impossible the Sabres can’t draft a perceived “steal” at 11 it’s just how rankings work. One of the players we have ranked on the top 10 won’t go top 10, it’s almost certain. Every team drafting in the top 20 or so will be able to get a perceived steal. Just depends who ends up correct 

But if they are predisposed to making the pick, they’ll find a way to make it. There will almost always be a player who presents as excellent value 

Edited by Thorny

Just over one week to go. Time for some cool names in the 2024 entry draft.

Brandsegg-Nygard, Michael.  (hyphenated names are fun)
Filip Sitar. (cue the music!)
Miroslav Satan Jr. (bring him home in the 7th. And he's 6'7")
Tij Iginla.
Maxim Masse.   (MaximMas[se] Goalius!)
Johnny Mustard.
Mrsic, Tomas.   They call him Mr. Sic Hands. Or Mr. Yuk if he's missing the open cage. Nevermind the pronunciation, that's not what's important here.
Smithkneckt, Jackson.  You think Smith is boring. But Smithknecht? Now we're talking.
Diego Buttazzoni. If you are a GM and you're not taking Diego Buttazzoni with an extra 5th round pick, why are you even employed? 
Jaxsin Vaughan.  You named your kid Jackson, but really you wanted to name your kid Fantasy Novel Jackson.

And finally, the My Name Has a Z in It category:
Zeev Buium   Zeev... Zeev!
Zayne Parekh
Zether, Simon

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

When I got home from work, I went and compared his selections to where those guys currently sit on my consensus board (I currently have 177 players listed)

11.  Catton (5th)

43.  Eliasson (103rd)

76. Kol (101st)

108. Cowen (un-rated - but on my 36 player "other" list along with Miro Satan Jr).

109. Marques (64th)

172. Avramov (114th)

204. Shorkin (134th)

225. Major (Un-rated)

I have 59 players with nearly unanimous 1 or 2nd rd grades and he picks Eliasson? Kol in the 3rd is just as awful.  

I totally hate his mock. It looks like a bad reddit mock where you've seen Buffalo draft a couple eruo players b4 so you just give them to Buffalo to get them off your board. Eliasson at 43 is just absurd stupidity imo.

Btw, I don't think Catton slides. 

49 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I totally hate his mock. It looks like a bad reddit mock where you've seen Buffalo draft a couple eruo players b4 so you just give them to Buffalo to get them off your board. Eliasson at 43 is just absurd stupidity imo.

Somebody’s going to slide.

Just watched one where the two that slide are Sennecke and Parekh and we don’t take either.

If it’s really a tier lasting from 2 to 14ish like some say, this is my pyramid of 8 “I hope he slides.”

• 1 Iginla, Lindstrom
  • 2 Buium, Silayev
  • 3 Parekh, Dickinson, Catton, Senneke

At least one of them will be there at our turn.

Dont see any way Demidov or Levshunov is there.

From the next tier, Helenius is my choice.

I’ll be disappointed but still OK with Eiserman, Stolberg and Brandsegg-Nygard.

Don’t want Yakemchuk and I will be surprised if anyone else is even a consideration.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think so either, but I would have said t hat about Benson last year.

I'm kind of hoping Sennecke is available at 11.  I like Iginla also.

In the second, I like Miettinen.  Big, already physical, and skates well.  He also is apparently very defensively aware.

43 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't think so either, but I would have said t hat about Benson last year.

I'm kind of hoping Sennecke is available at 11.  I like Iginla also.

In the second, I like Miettinen.  Big, already physical, and skates well.  He also is apparently very defensively aware.

The Benson slide was anticipated. Catton is taller, maybe a center, better skater, and scored more in a draft low on forward talent. Still, anything is possible. 

I really like Tedy Stiga at 43 if available. Dominik Badkina, Pulkkinen (he's a really interesting project), and Miettinen. 

I like Miettinen a lot. He's a 6'3" c/lw who is a solid checker and looks really good. He passes the eye test and if you're looking for a future 40pt 3rd line guy, he's a good bet. He might be more than that too. He transitioned to the WHL this year and with any league change, you wonder if the learning curve slowed down better or more production. Could be he explodes next year. 

Btw Miettinen still had 31g and 67pts in 66 games. 

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I really like Tedy Stiga at 43 if available. Dominik Badkina, Pulkkinen (he's a really interesting project), and Miettinen. 

I like Miettinen a lot. He's a 6'3" c/lw who is a solid checker and looks really good. He passes the eye test and if you're looking for a future 40pt 3rd line guy, he's a good bet. He might be more than that too. He transitioned to the WHL this year and with any league change, you wonder if the learning curve slowed down better or more production. Could be he explodes next year. 

I would be excited if we pick Miettinen or Pulkkinen in the 2nd round. Think they both bring us what we are missing in the bottom six. A third line with Benson, Wahlgren and Miettinen could be really good in 3-4 years.

37 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Those all sound like good candidates, I’ve seen or heard their names in the 30-40 range. I’ve seen Badinka go as early as the first round on some mock drafts. Miettinen I don’t know much about, but I like the size and many Finnish guys have grit ingrained into them.

• Like (+1) 1

Although this isn't my final consensus board.  I won't be able to update the spreadsheet again before the draft.

Tier 1 -  Celebrini, Demidov

Tier 2- Buium, Levshunov, Catton, Lindstrom 

Tier 3 - Parekh, Dickson, Silayev, Iginla

Tier 4 - Helenius, Eiserman, Sennecke, Brandsegg-Nygard, Yakermchuk

Tier 5 - Chernyshov, Greentree, Jiricek, Connelly, Hage

Tier 6 - Boisvert, Solberg, Artamonov, Luchenko

Tier 7 - Hemming, Emery, Basha, Ritchie, Beudoin - Last of the 1st rd grades

Tier 8 - Stiga, Parascak, Freij, (End of Rd one)

Tier 9 - Sahlin Wallenius, Surin, Petterson, Badlinka

Tier 10 - Elick, Hutson, Gridin

Tier 11 - Kiviharju, Mews, Vanacker, Miettinen (Sabres pick 43rd and Miettinen is ranked 43rd)

Tier 12 - Mustard, Howe, Misa, O'Reilly, Kleber, Pulkkinen, Jecho

Tier 13 - Brunicke, Shuravin, Galvas, Muggli

Tier 14 - Bednarik, Danford - Last 2 with a 2nd rd grade 

Tier 15 - Vaisanen, Marrelli, Ericksson, Letourneau, Masse  (The last 3 have some who really like their games and could go higher)

Tier 16 - Margues, Ustinkov, Plante, George - (End of the 2nd rd)

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Although this isn't my final consensus board.  I won't be able to update the spreadsheet again before the draft.

Tier 1 -  Celebrini, Demidov

Tier 2- Buium, Levshunov, Catton, Lindstrom 

Tier 3 - Parekh, Dickson, Silayev, Iginla

Tier 4 - Helenius, Eiserman, Sennecke, Brandsegg-Nygard, Yakermchuk

Tier 5 - Chernyshov, Greentree, Jiricek, Connelly, Hage

Tier 6 - Boisvert, Solberg, Artamonov, Luchenko

Tier 7 - Hemming, Emery, Basha, Ritchie, Beudoin - Last of the 1st rd grades

Tier 8 - Stiga, Parascak, Freij, (End of Rd one)

Tier 9 - Sahlin Wallenius, Surin, Petterson, Badlinka

Tier 10 - Elick, Hutson, Gridin

Tier 11 - Kiviharju, Mews, Vanacker, Miettinen (Sabres pick 43rd and Miettinen is ranked 43rd)

Tier 12 - Mustard, Howe, Misa, O'Reilly, Kleber, Pulkkinen, Jecho

Tier 13 - Brunicke, Shuravin, Galvas, Muggli

Tier 14 - Bednarik, Danford - Last 2 with a 2nd rd grade 

Tier 15 - Vaisanen, Marrelli, Ericksson, Letourneau, Masse  (The last 3 have some who really like their games and could go higher)

Tier 16 - Margues, Ustinkov, Plante, George - (End of the 2nd rd)

Good work.  I think tiers 2-4 is one tier in a lot of team’s eyes and that is why so many high picks are up for grabs this year.

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

Harkens back to a Viking raid, endless lust for violence. Not your typical Swede, more Pronger than Power, but that’s a bar a snake could jump.

You can usually reign it in.  You can rarely manufacture it when it isn’t there.

• Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Very cool.

The fact that they identified (even that they could identify) all those things the eye test showed us about Benson through data collection is fascinating to read.

Edited by dudacek