2024 NHL DRAFT Talk

Spoonman

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Is Zeev Buium this year’ Benson?

The smaller kid with the elite hockey brain who might drop out of the top 10 due to teams falling in love with another guy’s better athletic package (shot, size, skating etc.)?

He looks to be a poor fit as  smaller puck-moving LHD, but if he’s there at 11, it would be hard to imagine a better player being available.

He's 6' 186lbs. I wouldn't call him small. No, I think he'll go top 10 as several scouts noted they came away more impressed with Zeev than Levshunov. That said, nhl scouts are notorious for having set definitions based on player size. So could be fall to 11, yes. Should he, no. He might be the best defender in the class and he's only going to get better with age. If I were Buffalo and he's there, draft him. Worry about who of Byram and Power your trading next year. 

• Agree 1

11. Buffalo Sabres: Sam Dickinson, D, London (OHL)

If the Sabres don’t trade this pick to bolster the NHL roster, drafting the best player available makes sense. The Sabres have four left-handed defensemen who are 24 or younger on the NHL roster, but Dickinson is too good of a value to pass up here. Berkly Catton, Konsta Helenius and Cole Eiserman were tempting here, but Dickinson’s blend of size and skating ability would be a big boost to Buffalo’s pool of prospects on defense. — Matthew Fairburn

I’ve yet to see a mock where the Sabres don’t have a choice of very interesting players.

The way the draft is tiered 11 ended up being an attractive slot.

A few weeks back I was OK with the thought of adding an Eiserman. Now I’m convinced there will be better choices available than a guy whose scouting report looks like Mike Bossy’s.

Edited by dudacek
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’ve yet to see a mock where the Sabres don’t have a choice of very interesting players.

The way the draft is tiered 11 ended up being an attractive slot.

A few weeks back I was OK with the thought of adding an Eiserman. Now I’m convinced there will be better choices available than a guy whose scouting report looks like Mike Bossy’s.

Helenius would be a great pickup at 11. He's only 1 year away and he already has a 200ft game that could slot him into an NHL 3/4 line in 2025. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Someone had Iginla fall to 11 for us; he’d be the one possible prospect I’d keep the pick for bar none.

I saw one that had him go to us as well.  I’d be happy to take a chance on him.  I like the way he plays. Worries me when I saw he basically did nothing before last year.  One year wonders scare me sometimes.  

NHL Now had the guy from Red Line on the show and he basically said that there is very little separating pick 2 in this draft from No. 13/14.   Sennecke is currently 14th on my board and I think he's a Quinn type pick up.  I'd be thrilled to get him at 11.  There is a gap on my board to 15 to the very good Brandsegg-Nygard.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

14 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

I saw one that had him go to us as well.  I’d be happy to take a chance on him.  I like the way he plays. Worries me when I saw he basically did nothing before last year.  One year wonders scare me sometimes.  

I would say that you need to remember that in 2022-23, Iginla was 16 and getting 18pts in 48 games in the WHL is not terrible at that age. He was probably getting limited minutes and was also probably lacking in physical maturity. Remember, he won't be 18 until August 1 so he is only 45 days shy of being 2025 eligible. Still, you are correct in wondering if he will sustain or improve since we do only have the 1 good year. 

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

NHL Now had the guy from Red Line on the show and he basically said that there is very little separating now 2 in this draft from No. 13/14.   Sennecke is currently 14th on my board and I think he's a Quinn type pick up.  I'd be thrilled to get him at 11.  There is a gap on my board to 15 to the very good Brandsegg-Nygard.

I think with Sennecke measuring around 6'2.5" that there is little chance he slides to 11. Teams are going to watch the Florida Panthers and and ask themselves if their forwards are big/strong enough to drive inside on them and the answer will always be no. 

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Helenius would be a great pickup at 11. He's only 1 year away and he already has a 200ft game that could slot him into an NHL 3/4 line in 2025. 

NHL Now had the guy from Red Line on the show and he basically said that there is very little separating now 2 in this draft from No. 13/14.   Sennecke is currently 14th on my board and I think he's a Quinn type pick up.  I'd be thrilled to get him at 11.  There is a gap on my board to 15 to the very good Brandsegg-Nygard.

People are talking Iginla and Sennecke being in play for some teams at #5.

Sounds like there are more than 10 players worthy of being top,10 picks.

That 2nd tier of similarly-ranked players is a big one and we’re in it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I’ve said before but I can’t remember a draft where the pundits were so all over the map on their draft rankings.

And I think it is exactly what has been mentioned here: There is Celebrini at #1 and 2-14 is on equal footing and can be rearranged in a ton of different ways.’

Now I see a guy like Lindstrom going top 5, GMs drool over that type of package. The rest though is a huge mashup.

I see both Iginla and Sennecke going before 11. 

If the Sabres keep the pick and Dickinson, Catton and Helenius are all there that would be something.

I like the 2 forwards but a 6’3 dman that skates like Scott Niedermayer and is being developed by the Hunters would be really hard to pass on. 

• Like (+1) 2

My board reflects what the guy from Red Line was talking about.  Celebrini is No. 1 by a wide margin.  There is little separating No. 2 Levshunov from No. 11 Helenius.  There is a gap from Helenius to No. 12 Eiserman, but Eiserman, Yakemchuk and Sennecke have nearly identical rankings.  I'm not surprised some teams have Iginla and Sennecke in the top 5.  They have received top 5-7 voted from the various (I'm up to 9) rankings I've added to my consensus board.    

I personally think it's Celebrini 1 and Levshunov 2, but after that anything can happen.  I'd add that I think Buium, Silayev and Demidov will also go in the top 7 and Parekh in the top 10. 

After doing some work on this draft, I'd rather trade Rosen and another former 1st rd pick like Östlund or Kulich then give up the 11.  The top 14 picks are too strong and we need a top prospect a little separated in development time from the other top guys. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I would say that you need to remember that in 2022-23, Iginla was 16 and getting 18pts in 48 games in the WHL is not terrible at that age. He was probably getting limited minutes and was also probably lacking in physical maturity. Remember, he won't be 18 until August 1 so he is only 45 days shy of being 2025 eligible. Still, you are correct in wondering if he will sustain or improve since we do only have the 1 good year.

Oh geez.  I didn’t realize he was that young.  Thanks for pointing that out. 

My board reflects what the guy from Red Line was talking about.  Celebrini is No. 1 by a wide margin.  There is little separating No. 2 Levshunov from No. 11 Helenius.  There is a gap from Helenius to No. 12 Eiserman, but Eiserman, Yakemchuk and Sennecke have nearly identical rankings.  I'm not surprised some teams have Iginla and Sennecke in the top 5.  They have received top 5-7 voted from the various (I'm up to 9) rankings I've added to my consensus board.    

I personally think it's Celebrini 1 and Levshunov 2, but after that anything can happen.  I'd add that I think Buium, Silayev and Demidov will also go in the top 7 and Parekh in the top 10. 

After doing some work on this draft, I'd rather trade Rosen and another former 1st rd pick like Östlund or Kulich then give up the 11.  The top 14 picks are too strong and we need a top prospect a little separated in development time from the other top guys. 

Completely agree on the last paragraph. Mostly because we have more prospects than will fit in the next two seasons (even accounting for a bust or two), and it would be better to move two existing high-end prospects out and bring in a new one.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

5'11" 189lb Konsta Helenius, "a diminutive play driver" 

6' 197lb Cole Eiserman, "strong enough for the NHL"

... yea cuz those 8lbs and 1" are the difference. Just find how scouts literally have a seizure once a player drops below 6' as interesting and clear evidence of bias. 

50 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

5'11" 189lb Konsta Helenius, "a diminutive play driver" 

6' 197lb Cole Eiserman, "strong enough for the NHL"

... yea cuz those 8lbs and 1" are the difference. Just find how scouts literally have a seizure once a player drops below 6' as interesting and clear evidence of bias. 

Yep and once a goalie is below 6’2 he is a long shot to ever play.

some ridiculous size biases.

On 6/12/2024 at 2:33 PM, Flashsabre said:

Yep and once a goalie is below 6’2 he is a long shot to ever play.

some ridiculous size biases.

This is another reason why I want Levi and Dustin Wolf to be good. It will widen the spectrum of goalie prospects.

I am not a fan of the mighty mites on D, teams can have 1 if he is a good puck mover and points generator, but 6’0 is not tiny for a goalie.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm wondering if KA's draft strategy might be to trade down from 11 to 23 or so and draft this kid and pick up a depth vet for the 4th line in the deal.

I’m in on that.

Kid may not be available too low and you should get more than a 4th liner to go from 11 to 23. Probably get a decent 3rd liner maybe even a 3C if you add Rosen and they add a 3rd round pick.

I now have 11 rankings in my consensus board

Top 51

Tier 1 - Celebrini

Tier 2 - Demidov, Levshunov & Buium

Tier 3 - Catton, Parkekh, Dickinson, Lindstrom, & Silayez

Tier 4 - Iginla, Helenius, & Eiserman

Tier 5 - Yakemchuk, Sennecke, Brandsegg-Nygard

Tier 6 - Chernyshov, Greentree, Connelly, Jiricek & Hage

Tier 7 - Boisvert, Artamonov, Luchanko, Solberg & Hemming (Top 25 end - last players with a 1st rd consensus grade)

Tier 8 - Basha, Emery, Sahlin Wallenius, Ritchie & Parascak

Tier 9 - Stiga, Beaudoin, Freij, Elick & Surin

Tier 10 - Kiviharju, Letourneau, Mews, Masse, & Hutson

Tier 11 - Badinka, Gridin, Pettersson, Howe & Vanacker

Tier 12 - Pulkkinen, Miettinen, Mustard, Brunicke, Jecho & Shuravin