2024 NHL DRAFT Talk

Spoonman

I would expect a few lists to come out this week as the combine was the last event that scouts and reporters have had to evaluate/interview the candidates.

Bob McKenzie’s list is the one I am interested in.

With all of the various opinions so far, I think there will be a lot of surprises. Some guys will fall 5 spots while others will rise that much. For every list that has Lindstrom at 3 there is one where he is 12.

When I look at mock drafts and see a 6’3” 215 pound centre who skates like the wind and scored nearly a goal a game -in a draft lacking both power forwards and centres in general - falling out of the top 5 I really raise my eyebrows.

The Ducks have McTavish and Carlsson already, so I can see them looking elsewhere.

But I just don’t see how Lindstrom gets past Columbus or Montreal.

Outside the injury, he’s everything GMs drool over.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

When I look at mock drafts and see a 6’3” 215 pound centre who skates like the wind and scored nearly a goal a game -in a draft lacking both power forwards and centres in general - falling out of the top 5 I really raise my eyebrows.

The Ducks have McTavish and Carlsson already, so I can see them looking elsewhere.

I don’t see him getting by Verbeek and Anaheim. He is the exact type of player Verbeek wants. Lindstrom is most likely a winger at the NHL level.

18 hours ago, Taro T said:

Initial reaction to this is - don't like it.  But IF they continue to maintain the 50 contract limit on players in system, expect it wouldn't end up getting abused by the big money teams and a team with really good analytics and scouting departments could make hay with it.  (And the Sabres SHOULD be a team with good analytics and scouting departments - they have a billionaire owner and a general impression that established players don't want to be in Buffalo (a perception that will change as soon as the team actually becomes good again), so the team has a vested interest in finding and landing good prospects.)

So, maybe it would be a good thing.

I think it could work too. We automatically assume that a late bloomer blowing it up his D+1/2 year would gravitate to certain desirable teams (ie playoff teams). Money wouldn’t be the reason as all ELC are pretty much the same. But, why would a prospect gravitate toward a winning team that has no possible opening for him? Would naturally make the bottom feeders a better place to sign such a player. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Sabres met with Konsta Helenius and that is an intriguing pick at 11 because he is one of the few players that projects out to center in the NHL and also has some of the checking detail and motor Buffalo is desperate for. I would also note that Helenius shoots right which in the NHL is harder to find. I think Catton has more talent but I think Helenius might end up the more well rounded pro. I am sure there would be cries from the fanbase though both for keeping 11 and for taking a 5'11" forward even if he is 189lbs already. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/2024-nhl-combine-heights-and-weights/

Posted this earlier but here it is again. 

Short list of non first rounders I have interest in, no particular order:

Maxim Masse: RW, 6'2.25", 190lbs

Eriks Mateiko: LW, 6'5", 216lbs

Colton Roberts: RHD, 6'3.75", 204lbs

Dean Letourneau: C, 6'6.5", 214lbs (he may go at the end of the first round)

Dominik Badinka: RHD, 6'2.75", 185lbs

Lukas Fischer: LHD, 6'3", 182lbs

Adam Jecho: C/RW, 6'5", 201lbs

Sebastian Soini: RHD, 6'2.5", 187lbs

Julius Miettinen: C/LW, 6'3", 201lbs

Kasper Pikkarainen: RW, 6'3", 197lbs

Adam Kleber: RHD, 6'5.5", 215lbs

Blake Montgomery: LW, 6'4", 181lbs

Edit: These aren't guys I am saying we have to draft or will be good. Just players I want to look at more in depth. 

Edited by LGR4GM

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

He’s my dream scenario pick.  I love how he plays and think he’s exactly what we need. 

18 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

My first choice is to trade the pick for an impact player.

If they keep it than Catton, Helenius, Dickinson or Biuim would be great picks.

The draft is kinda looking like it has 5 or 6 D that could have been the 1st D taken in last year’s draft.

One of them will slide.

It’s hard to tell who is the Adam Boqvist and who is the Quinn Hughes in terms if the hit and the miss out of the pack.

Dickinson and Levshunov like the size-skill prototype all-rounders. Buium is the processor and Parekh the offensive dynamo - each has put up rare numbers. And Silayev is a unicorn physically, plus he can skate and has attitude. Yakemchuk has more holes, IMO, but he’s got edge and tools and production.

At least one will be available at 11 due to franchise needs and instantly become our best prospect on defence.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

1st round pick Liam Greentree. I'm set on this (unless Iginla falls which he won't).

2nd round pick Jacob Battaglia unless one of the bigger D men falls (Roberts, Emery etc.). 

3rd round pick I'd like to see us take Lukas Matecha. You could argue he can wait until the 4th round but I'd play it safe and grab him earlier. I think he will be a good one.

The rest whatever. Size, speed, character, BPA. 

I like Greentree, but he seems a bit of a stretch at 11 overall.  In addition, this draft has a stronger crop of right handed defensemen and centers that we could use after moving Middelstadt.

51 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

I like Greentree, but he seems a bit of a stretch at 11 overall.  In addition, this draft has a stronger crop of right handed defensemen and centers that we could use after moving Middelstadt.

All those players are 3-5yrs away. 

What are our thoughts on Anton Silayev?

A massive defensive defenceman who can skate and plays mean? I'm surprised no one has hyped him up more to the Sabres.

I know he was hyped more as a top 5 pick than a top 10 pick, but from what I'm reading the hype on him has slipped a bit (Russian, not enough skill upside).

Would anyone be absolutely shocked if he slipped to the 4th or 5th D taken and that made him available to the Sabres?

And would they want him if he did?

5 hours ago, Rasmus_ said:

I'm more interested in getting missing pieces this year than BPA that'll end up landing us another speedy and possibly small scorer or Euro prospect. Maybe we start trading for the missing pieces but a guy like Greentree would be perfectly timed for when we might be pushing for an actual playoff run (if things go well). 

We can sign a veteran now and then Greentree can push him out or replace him in 3 years. He's a character guy who elevates players around him and rises to the challenge of big and hard moments. We need that. 

13 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm more interested in getting missing pieces this year than BPA that'll end up landing us another speedy and possibly small scorer or Euro prospect. Maybe we start trading for the missing pieces but a guy like Greentree would be perfectly timed for when we might be pushing for an actual playoff run (if things go well). 

We can sign a veteran now and then Greentree can push him out or replace him in 3 years. He's a character guy who elevates players around him and rises to the challenge of big and hard moments. We need that. 

Hopefully all those analytic fellas can think outside their metrics, because character and elevating teammates requires qualitative judgment beyond the numbers to be fully appreciated.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

What are our thoughts on Anton Silayev?

A massive defensive defenceman who can skate and plays mean? I'm surprised no one has hyped him up more to the Sabres.

I know he was hyped more as a top 5 pick than a top 10 pick, but from what I'm reading the hype on him has slipped a bit (Russian, not enough skill upside).

Would anyone be absolutely shocked if he slipped to the 4th or 5th D taken and that made him available to the Sabres?

And would they want him if he did?

He's not my cup of tea and I'd pass on him at 11 because I don't believe his offense is going to be first pairing level. I think he'll go in the 5-7 range at worse though. 

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sennecke is going top 7 most likely IMPO. Will be interesting to see what happens with Connolly. Iginla and Lindstrom also well represented here. 

Did you see Pronman’s piece in the Athletic today where he quotes anonymous scouts and executives?

Great stuff that really reinforced to me how misleading trying to create a consensus NHL draft list is. Doesn’t really matter if the average of league opinions on Player A is 10th if there’s a team that has him 3rd picking at 5.

There are teams who see Catton as a legit 1C and Silayev as a unicorn, others who see Catton as a guy who will struggle to be a top 6 centre in the NHL and Silayev as Samuelsson.

Makes Bobby Mac’s draft list even more impressive because he’s gotta have insight on how specific teams are leaning.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5517608/2024/06/11/nhl-draft-confidential-2024-scouts-executives-celebrini-demidov/

• Like (+1) 2

Is Zeev Buium this year’ Benson?

The smaller kid with the elite hockey brain who might drop out of the top 10 due to teams falling in love with another guy’s better athletic package (shot, size, skating etc.)?

He looks to be a poor fit as  smaller puck-moving LHD, but if he’s there at 11, it would be hard to imagine a better player being available.