2024 NHL DRAFT Talk

Spoonman

27 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

So that is now Montreal at #5, Utah at #6, NJ at #10 and Buffalo at # 11 all stating their picks are in play. I can’t remember a draft like this with so much flux after the first pick and so many top 12 teams willing to move picks.

And then watch as no one moves their pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

Pronman mock:

Buffalo Sabres
11. Berkly Catton, C, Spokane (WHL)
43. Gabriel Eliasson, D, Hv71 Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
76. Timur Kol, D, Omsk Jr. (RUSSIA-JR.)
108. Dawson Cowan, G, Spokane (WHL)
109. Miguel Marques, RW, Lethbridge (WHL)
172. Fyodor Avramov, LW, Stupino Jr. (RUSSIA-JR.)
204. Roman Shokhrin, D, Loko-76 Yaroslavl (RUSSIA-JR.)
225. Charlie Major, C, Chicago (USHL)

59 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you had a choice to draft Catton or Igla, which player would you take? 

Both are great players but Iginla brings more of what  they need and don’t have.

I don’t think Iginla will be there at #11 and I don’t think the Sabres will make the pick. I think they are moving it

• Thanks (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Kid is super fast, has good height and is a willing hitter. Where does he fall in the rankings? He needs to add weight, but all 18 year olds do

Rankings have him mid60s to mid 80s so early 3rd to early 4th. 

https://eprinkside.com/2024/04/09/film-room-michael-brandsegg-nygards-the-perfect-blend-of-grit-and-skill-in-the-2024-nhl-draft

It's not a surprise that in my data set consisting of almost 50 draft-eligible forwards who've played in a top European professional league over the past seven years, Brandsegg-Nygård has arguably the strongest forechecking results out of them all, even adjusting for league quality. 

This all-around off-puck game forms the foundation and floor of Brandsegg-Nygård's projection. The physicality, knack for finding body positioning, disrupting plays with his stick and outworking the opposition are all aspects that should scale to the NHL without much trouble – it's all there.

I find Brandsegg-Nygård a very intriguing option at #11. All of his metrics look good, the eye test looks great, and really the only thing missing is some more deception and passing. He's really old for his class, he's closer to Benson in age than he is Tij Iginla. The more I watch the more I am convinced this is the type of guy that sits on your #2 RW and helps you win playoff games. He's going to have a PK role and could be put in the AHL I think this upcoming season unless he has a year remaining in the SHL which is also fine. My biggest gripe is he needs to work on playmaking and seeing some of those options better in the offensive zone. Between his insanely detailed and polished checking game and excellent shot though, I think he's a 25g-30g RW with excellent defensive metrics at his peak in the NHL. He would help win you playoff games because he has that battle and motor. He's kinda like Tkachuk-esque. 

Nygard_2024.thumb.PNG.f91d9b179dd72f1937a283921dceb228.PNG

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

https://eprinkside.com/2024/04/09/film-room-michael-brandsegg-nygards-the-perfect-blend-of-grit-and-skill-in-the-2024-nhl-draft

I find Brandsegg-Nygård a very intriguing option at #11. All of his metrics look good, the eye test looks great, and really the only thing missing is some more deception and passing. He's really old for his class, he's closer to Benson in age than he is Tij Iginla. The more I watch the more I am convinced this is the type of guy that sits on your #2 RW and helps you win playoff games. He's going to have a PK role and could be put in the AHL I think this upcoming season unless he has a year remaining in the SHL which is also fine. My biggest gripe is he needs to work on playmaking and seeing some of those options better in the offensive zone. Between his insanely detailed and polished checking game and excellent shot though, I think he's a 25g-30g RW with excellent defensive metrics at his peak in the NHL. He would help win you playoff games because he has that battle and motor. He's kinda like Tkachuk-esque. 

Nygard_2024.thumb.PNG.f91d9b179dd72f1937a283921dceb228.PNG

I've seen a few mocks that have him up in our range and I like the player.

He really seems like the best "needs" fit likely to be available.

I'm just hesitant that picking him will mean we left a better player on the table.

After SJ at #1 every pick is up for trade this year.😁

I think this is a case of players 2-15 are basically equal in teams books. Move down, get an additional premium asset and get a similar player later in the round.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Disagree 1

58 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Not the Sabres area of strength.

Outside of the first round since the 2010 Draft:

-Olofsson 90 Career goals for the Sabres

-Peterka: 40 Career goals for the Sabres

-85 other players drafted combined:  49 career goals for the Sabres

Yeah, the vast majority of the teams in the league get their prime talent in the 1st round, but the Sabres in recent years, they have been pretty awful anywhere other than the first round.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Not the Sabres area of strength.

Outside of the first round since the 2010 Draft:

-Olofsson 90 Career goals for the Sabres

-Peterka: 40 Career goals for the Sabres

-85 other players drafted combined:  49 career goals for the Sabres

Yeah, the vast majority of the teams in the league get their prime talent in the 1st round, but the Sabres in recent years, they have been pretty awful anywhere other than the first round.

You have to take the long view on these things because you’re typically talking a minimum of 5 years down the road with later picks. So we really have no idea with this regime because they’ve only done 4 drafts.

You can say “look at Novikov and Komarov” but it doesn’t seem that long ago we were excited about Bloom and Nadeau.

Adams has graduated 4 players in 4 years (Benson, Power, Quinn and Peterka). Benson and Peterka are ahead of the curve, Quinn and Power are roughly where you’d expect.

The rest are open questions.

On 6/19/2024 at 7:48 AM, LGR4GM said:

Pronman mock:

Buffalo Sabres
11. Berkly Catton, C, Spokane (WHL)
43. Gabriel Eliasson, D, Hv71 Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
76. Timur Kol, D, Omsk Jr. (RUSSIA-JR.)
108. Dawson Cowan, G, Spokane (WHL)
109. Miguel Marques, RW, Lethbridge (WHL)
172. Fyodor Avramov, LW, Stupino Jr. (RUSSIA-JR.)
204. Roman Shokhrin, D, Loko-76 Yaroslavl (RUSSIA-JR.)
225. Charlie Major, C, Chicago (USHL)

It’s awful

• Like (+1) 1