2024 NHL DRAFT Talk

Spoonman

Looking at players that could still be on the board at 11 and their Star Wars names:

Zeev Buium (D) - Rebel snowspeeder pilot. Zeev and Zev.

Brandsegg-Nygård (RW) - A shipyards best known for producing light frigates and transports that support your fleet.

Zayne Parekh (D) - The Galactic Senate now recognizes Senator Zayne of the Parekh system.

Dickinson (D) - Boring Earthy name. Move along.

Greentree (RW) - Probably a translation of Ewokese. An Ewok.

Berkly Catton (F) - Rebel pilot. Very Lucasian.

Beckett (RW) - Beckett from Solo. Crime syndicate-hired thief/bounty hunter type.

Konsta Helenius (C/RW) - Denizen of your local cantina

Trevor Connelly (LW) - So boring Earthy. Move along, move along.

Tij Iginla (F) - Rebel pilot, but probably in a bomber. Y-wing, B-wing, tail-gunner in a Resistance bomber thingy. Wears a cool-looking helmet and a jumpsuit.

Cole Eiserman (LW) - An icy, uptight Imperial Officer who gets his comeuppance.

Artyom Levshunov (D) - Sullustian pod racer

Anton Silayev (D) - Captain of an Imperial Star Destroyer

Carter Yakemchuk (D) - Yakemchuk is an Ugnaught whose respect is hard-earned, but whose friendship proves invaluable

Basha (F) - A Gigorian bodyguard to the Graf family https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Basha

Past Star Wars players and their outcomes for your reference:

Byram -- Rebel pilot
Cozens -- Imperial officer
Krebs -- An Ewok 

Quinn -- sounds like a smuggler

Owen Power – Unnnnnlimmited Owen Power!

Savoie C - Force-sensitive human who is seduced by the dark side of the Concept.
Kulich C -- An asteroid belt in the Inner Rim
Östlund C -- Imperial officer. 2 Osteds are Imperial navy officers! Amazing. Alater and Wermis!
       https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Osted_Alater ; https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Osted_Wermis 

Benson -- "I don't know anyone named Ben Son, but Old Ben…is kind of a strange old hermit."

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

11th + prospect for Mangiapane? 

He's got 1 year left on a team with oodles of cap room and just about everyone already signed. Also a M-NTC.

That's a steep overpay for a 40-55 point rental. Similar situation to Skinner, except Skinner was a much more consistent goal-scorer and two years younger than Mangiapane is now. That was a 2nd, Pu (not a top prospect by any stretch), and some filler picks.

43 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

He's got 1 year left on a team with oodles of cap room and just about everyone already signed. Also a M-NTC.

That's a steep overpay for a 40-55 point rental. Similar situation to Skinner, except Skinner was a much more consistent goal-scorer and two years younger than Mangiapane is now. That was a 2nd, Pu (not a top prospect by any stretch), and some filler picks.

what? Mangiapane is 28.  Skinner is 32.....

His points are a bit lower than I expected though.   Maybe a package deal with the Flames.  They just seem like a team that could also use a shakeup 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

what? Mangiapane is 28.  Skinner is 32.....

Ah, yes, but 6 years ago (when the Sabres traded for Skinner in an analogous contract situation), Skinner was how old? 

• Thanks (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I agree. I like Mangiapane as a target, but I don’t think he should cost #11. 

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yakemchuk seems a needs fit, doesn't seem a type fit.

I'm not being all "he's big and gets PMs and the the Sabres only take small offensive guys" here.

The Sabres "type" under Adams/Forton/Ventura is better described as "plays fast, self-starter, hockey IQ, growth curve" with a good analytics base. Measurables and tools matter, but they aren't the first thing this group looks at.

I'm no expert on his game, but Yakemchuk comes across as more uneven than the type I'd expect this executive team to hone in on with such a high pick, given some of the others around him.

Out of Sliayev, Levshunov, Yakemchuk, Buium, Parekh, Dickinson, Iginla, Lidstrom, Sennecke, Helenius, Catton, I'm betting our war room is praying Iginla or Buium drop as two guys they rate higher than the average team.

I also think Sennecke's rapid rise has caught their eye and I wonder what their analytics team has to say about Eiserman, who I suspect has been the subject of a deep dive.

Helenius and Catton scream Sabre picks to me.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I think 11 is too high him, but I think Brandsegg-Nygård is a sleeper in that high IQ/play fast JJP/Quinn category.

Agreed.

He’s where type and need might intersect for the Sabres. I just don’t know if he’s skilled enough to be in play at 11.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Yakemchuk seems a needs fit, doesn't seem a type fit.

I'm not being all "he's big and gets PMs and the the Sabres only take small offensive guys" here.

The Sabres "type" under Adams/Forton/Ventura is better described as "plays fast, self-starter, hockey IQ, growth curve" with a good analytics base. Measurables and tools matter, but they aren't the first thing this group looks at.

I'm no expert on his game, but Yakemchuk comes across as more uneven than the type I'd expect this executive team to hone in on with such a high pick, given some of the others around him.

Out of Sliayev, Levshunov, Yakemchuk, Buium, Parekh, Dickinson, Iginla, Lidstrom, Sennecke, Helenius, Catton, I'm betting our war room is praying Iginla or Buium drop as two guys they rate higher than the average team.

I also think Sennecke's rapid rise has caught their eye and I wonder what their analytics team has to say about Eiserman, who I suspect has been the subject of a deep dive.

Helenius and Catton scream Sabre picks to me.

Which of those things wouldn't apply to Yakemchuk? 

Only prediction here is we make all 8 picks 

since the 2021 draft Adams has selected 11, 11, and 8 players. 30 as opposed to the regularly scheduled 21. He doesn’t really move draft picks and if we start the day with 8 we’ll make 8 picks 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Defense:

Charlie Elick, 6'3" RHD might be an option at 43. He is physical. 

Dominik Badinka, 6'3" RHD might also be an option at 43 and he is less physical than Elick but still has that element. 

Adam Kleber, 6'5" RHD should be an option at 43. Physical with great skating, his size and skating allow him to defend very well.

Lukas Fischer, 6'4" LHD will be an option at 43. Physical but like Eliasson 6 days shy of the 2025 draft, he is someone who has lots of runway and already is doing lots of little things you like to see. I actually really like the idea of Fischer at 43 but he might fall into the 3rd because he is raw. NHL teams do a terrible job of accounting for age. For example Helenius is 7 months younger than Nygard, that's a full season of development. Fischer is 11 months younger than Nygard for example. 

Spencer Gill, 6'4" RHD could be an option at 43 or perhaps the 3rd round. Another young guy with an Aug 17 bday and room for improvement.

Forwards:

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, 6'1" W 207lbs is a very physical forward if they keep 11. 

Konsta Helenius, 5'11" C 190lbs has that high motor, 2-way thing that Nygard does with a bit less physicality. Would be another good option at 11. 

Sam O'Reilly, 6'1" C 176lbs, is another high motor guy with 2-way physicality to his game. Most likely someone to look at at #43. 

Javon Morre, 6'4" LW 203lbs, probably available in the 3rd and could be a draft steal. HS players are always hard to project but he looks good.

AJ Spellacy, 6'3" C 190lbs, 3rd round is a real possibility for him but he's big, skates really well, has some good ideas and some physicality

Badinka sounds like a good option at 43.

I would take Helenius over Nygaard at 11. Nygaard sounds like a low ceiling high floor prospect. Helenius also play C and had a really good year in Liiga for a U18.

I’ve read O’Reilly has skating issues but that can be worked on. There is no questioning his work ethic and he has good size. Being coached by Dale Hunter for a couple more years should get him ready for the pro game.

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Which of those things wouldn't apply to Yakemchuk? 

23 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Hockey IQ, plays fast

To me Yakemchuk screams of drafting Risto all over again.

Flash got the nut of it.

I think NHL teams don’t use the same analytics that we see widely quoted, but Yakemchuk strikes me as a “charges at windmills” type whose flawed details wouldn’t stand up well under that lens.

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Flash got the nut of it.

I think NHL teams don’t use the same analytics that we see widely quoted, but Yakemchuk strikes me as a “charges at windmills” type whose flawed details wouldn’t stand up well under that lens.

I'm looking at entry prevention% defensive play, retrieval success rate, controlled exits, etc... so idk what an NHL could be looking at other than having more complete data. I don't like Yakemchuk btw, I think his defensive zone play is poor and his ability to move pucks up ice mediocre. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm looking at entry prevention% defensive play, retrieval success rate, controlled exits, etc... so idk what an NHL could be looking at other than having more complete data. I don't like Yakemchuk btw, I think his defensive zone play is poor and his ability to move pucks up ice mediocre. 

All I was really getting at was that I don't know if publicly available numbers reflect my perceptions or not but I'm not sure they'd have to because I expect the Sabres to be using different (and better) resources to collect data.

But I think your last sentence reflects my perception of Yakemchuk's game too. And I think likely the Sabres priorities.

Entries and exits are a far more important part of an NHL defenceman's game than goals and hits.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I also think Sennecke's rapid rise has caught their eye

He reminds me of a Quinn type emerging player. Not necessarily his game, but the rapid way the perception of him changed in his draft year. I love that he is a high IQ player with great hands and a willingness to drive the net.  He seems like a perfect for the Sabres and a long-term replacement for Skinner.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Stian Solberg

Height: 6-foot-1
Weight: 201 pounds
Position: Left shot defenceman
Team: Valerenga (Norway Elite League)
Season stats: 42 games played, 5 goals, 10 assists, +2
Playoff stats: 17 games played, 2 goals, 7 assists, -3

Solberg has already played three seasons in Norway’s top pro league and competed internationally at the world juniors and Men’s World Championships. He’s logged a ton of responsibility in high leverage scenarios at a young age.

Stolberg brings a combination of size, skill and will. His stats don’t jump off the page offensively, but he’s scratching the surface of another level of production. He’s a capable puck mover who defends with purpose. I believe he projects as a second pairing, two-way NHL defenceman and I have him ranked No. 23. Having said that, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least to see Solberg selected inside the top 20. If that did occur it would certainly have a ripple effect on some lists in the first round.

So that is now Montreal at #5, Utah at #6, NJ at #10 and Buffalo at # 11 all stating their picks are in play. I can’t remember a draft like this with so much flux after the first pick and so many top 12 teams willing to move picks.

Edited by Flashsabre

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

So that is now Montreal at #5, Utah at #6, NJ at #10 and Buffalo at # 11 all stating their picks are in play. I can’t remember a draft like this with so much flux after the first pick and so many top 12 teams willing to move picks.

I think it's safe to say we aren't the only team that thinks it's time to make a big step forward (or at least try to). 

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think it's safe to say we aren't the only team that thinks it's time to make a big step forward (or at least try to). 

Wouldn’t be shocked if Ottawa is willing to move their pick too. Might make it harder to move 11 if there are higher picks available. Has to be a fit both ways though.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.