2024 NHL DRAFT Talk

Spoonman

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm wondering if KA's draft strategy might be to trade down from 11 to 23 or so and draft this kid and pick up a depth vet for the 4th line in the deal.

Why? All the guy does is try to run around hitting guys. He doesn’t have high end skill. He’ll be a third pairing guy at best probably. I watched him at the WCs on the PP look at Cozens then pass the puck right to him as he went down the ice and scored shorthanded for  Canada.

A talent like Catton might be on the board at 11 and you trade down for someone like this and a dime a dozen 4th line player makes no sense to me.

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

Why? All the guy does is try to run around hitting guys. He doesn’t have high end skill. He’ll be a third pairing guy at best probably. I watched him at the WCs on the PP look at Cozens then pass the puck right to him as he went down the ice and scored shorthanded for  Canada.

If that was all he was, he wouldn't be a consensus top 25 pick.  The report I read on him said he has a booming shot from the point and is excellent on the PK.  In the NHL he probably won't score much, but our organization needs more physical players, defensive D and good PKers.  Solberg has all those traits.  Assuming we become a good team, Solberg, if drafted, will probably be NHL ready by about the time Mule's contract is up.  

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If that was all he was, he wouldn't be a consensus top 25 pick.  The report I read on him said he has a booming shot from the point and is excellent on the PK.  In the NHL he probably won't score much, but our organization needs more physical players, defensive D and good PKers.  Solberg has all those traits.  Assuming we become a good team, Solberg, if drafted, will probably be NHL ready by about the time Mule's contract is up.  

I disagree, I think if all he was is a 6'2" physical defender he would be a top 25 consensus pick because we see that archetype in most drafts.

Our pipeline has plenty of physical defenders, many of whom were found outside the first round. Novikov, Kovarov, Strbak, McCarthy. Personally I don't see anything in his profile that separates him from strbak.

You can find similar players to Stolberg in round 2 at 43. 

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m not a fan of the “trade back and select a worse talent” mentality.

My first choice would be to trade this pick for an impact player but if they keep the pick there are just too many good options that will be available at 11. 

If the player isn’t good enough to take at the spot you are drafting then you take the better player who is available.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I now have 11 rankings in my consensus board

Top 51

Tier 1 - Celebrini

Tier 2 - Demidov, Levshunov & Buium

Tier 3 - Catton, Parkekh, Dickinson, Lindstrom, & Silayez

Tier 4 - Iginla, Helenius, & Eiserman

Tier 5 - Yakemchuk, Sennecke, Brandsegg-Nygard

Tier 6 - Chernyshov, Greentree, Connelly, Jiricek & Hage

Tier 7 - Boisvert, Artamonov, Luchanko, Solberg & Hemming (Top 25 end - last players with a 1st rd consensus grade)

Tier 8 - Basha, Emery, Sahlin Wallenius, Ritchie & Parascak

Tier 9 - Stiga, Beaudoin, Freij, Elick & Surin

Tier 10 - Kiviharju, Letourneau, Mews, Masse, & Hutson

Tier 11 - Badinka, Gridin, Pettersson, Howe & Vanacker

Tier 12 - Pulkkinen, Miettinen, Mustard, Brunicke, Jecho & Shuravin

This kinda proves my point. You can take Badinka at 45 or Solberg at 15, might as well do  Badinka.

Finally getting around to doing some draft prep.  Have to say, they better get an impact player if they trade away the pick.   It looks like 11 could net a really good player 

32 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

My first choice would be to trade this pick for an impact player but if they keep the pick there are just too many good options that will be available at 11. 

If the player isn’t good enough to take at the spot you are drafting then you take the better player who is available.

Say you find a team willing to take skinner and his salary to drop back? Would probably be a substantial drop for someone to take skinner off the Sabres hands 

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I disagree, I think if all he was is a 6'2" physical defender he would be a top 25 consensus pick because we see that archetype in most drafts.

Our pipeline has plenty of physical defenders, many of whom were found outside the first round. Novikov, Kovarov, Strbak, McCarthy. Personally I don't see anything in his profile that separates him from strbak.

You can find similar players to Stolberg in round 2 at 43. 

45 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

42 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This kinda proves my point. You can take Badinka at 45 or Solberg at 15, might as well do  Badinka.

The point of the trade down was to get a needed NHL player plus retain a 1st rd pick in this draft.  

I have Solberg at 24 not 15.  

I think there is more here than just a hitter.  I think he has the chance to develop into a real shut down NHL D like McKee.  Guys that are just physical typically fall into the 2nd or 3rd rounds like Samuelsson for example.

Regardless of whether we draft Solberg or not, there is very good talent in the 20-25 range and then a huge cliff after 25.  Forwards like Hemming, Artamonov and Luchecnko look like excellent prospects as well in the 20-25 area. Again the point he is trying to anticipate when KA might do with the 11th pick.  

As I have written previous, my preference is to keep the 11 and trade Rosen and maybe another near ready forward prospect to get the assets we need to fix the roster.  However, I can easily see where KA might trade down and the compensation will be a 3/4 line NHL player.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The point of the trade down was to get a needed NHL player plus retain a 1st rd pick in this draft.  

I have Solberg at 24 not 15.  

I think there is more here than just a hitter.  I think he has the chance to develop into a real shut down NHL D like McKee.  Guys that are just physical typically fall into the 2nd or 3rd rounds like Samuelsson for example.

Regardless of whether we draft Solberg or not, there is very good talent in the 20-25 range and then a huge cliff after 25.  Forwards like Hemming, Artamonov and Luchecnko look like excellent prospects as well in the 20-25 area. Again the point he is trying to anticipate when KA might do with the 11th pick.  

As I have written previous, my preference is to keep the 11 and trade Rosen and maybe another near ready forward prospect to get the assets we need to fix the roster.  However, I can easily see where KA might trade down and the compensation will be a 3/4 line NHL player.

I just don't think Solberg is any better than a guy like Badkina. 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm wondering if KA's draft strategy might be to trade down from 11 to 23 or so and draft this kid and pick up a depth vet for the 4th line in the deal.

I would love to pick up a hardass player or two at the appropriate slot in the draft, and to play in our bottom 6.

I have much higher hopes for #11.

If we can't leverage it as part of a package for a better asset, I'm very happy adding any one of really good players likely to slide down to that spot.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Nice list.  What are your sources?

The list is from Expected Range. If you click on the “Sources” tab at the top it explains who they are and how the rankings work. They use 19 sources to compile the list.

Here’s another list from a guy that does a lot of online content:

https://x.com/HadiK_Scouting/status/1802100083426480146/photo/1

• Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The list is from Expected Range. If you click on the “Sources” tab at the top it explains who they are and how the rankings work. They use 19 sources to compile the list.

Here’s another list from a guy that does a lot of online content:

https://x.com/HadiK_Scouting/status/1802100083426480146/photo/1

Acknowledging I have seen very little of any of the players in this draft, from all that I have read and the little I have seen, I would be thrilled with anyone in that top 11. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was intrigued by big forward Dean Letourneau, who played prep school this year and is listed from late 1st rounder to mid second rounder.

He was measured to be 6’6.5  214 at the combine. The competition he faced is what concerns a lot of scouts in evaluating him.

I watched his interview with Flo Hockey. He tries to model his game after TNT due to his size and offensive skill. With Will Smith turning pro with San Jose there was an opening on Boston College for him this coming season. He was committed there but was going to the USHL to develop.

He says he interviewed with 25 teams but the Sabres were not one of them.

Gabriel Eliasson was ranked by Daily Faceoff as the most physical player in this draft. He is a LHD from Sweden who should be available in the middle rounds of this draft. 6’7” Dman hates to see an opponent have the puck and will use everything at his disposal to separate them from it.

Commited to Michigan, where he should have plenty of time to develop.

I want to add grit, toughness and defensive ability to the Sabres and this kid has all of that, plus these skills comes in a huge frame. I haven’t studied him closely so I don’t know his deficiencies but with a mid round pick he would be interesting.

He may not lead prospects in any fancy stats but it sounds like re-possession is a strength of his.

Edited by French Collection
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, French Collection said:

He may not lead prospects in any fancy stats but it sounds like re-possession is a strength of his.

Then he would lead in a fancy stat. I don't think saying I want a guy that is so good and physical defensive that he won't lead in fancy stats, because that makes no sense. If he is so physical that he continuously separates players from the puck with that skill and gets the puck out of his zone, shots against and especially dangerous shots against would be way down with him on the ice. What I am saying is "possession" is a measurable fancy stat for a defender that we would see. 

At the J20 level Eliasson has bad stats, like really bad. Now he is ridiculously young for his class, being a whopping 6 days away from the 2025 class. At his height and being so young, it shouldn't be a surprise that he has some issues. Would I draft him in the say the 4th when Buffalo has 2 picks (which I found out by quickly looking at Capfriendly), sure why not. He is going to college next year so you get at least 3 years to let him develop on NA ice which is great and maybe, just maybe you get yourself a 3rd pair defender. 

Eliasson_2024draft.thumb.PNG.6b440fe41919d8589a38528279309d4c.PNG

• Like (+1) 1

Defense:

Charlie Elick, 6'3" RHD might be an option at 43. He is physical. 

Dominik Badinka, 6'3" RHD might also be an option at 43 and he is less physical than Elick but still has that element. 

Adam Kleber, 6'5" RHD should be an option at 43. Physical with great skating, his size and skating allow him to defend very well.

Lukas Fischer, 6'4" LHD will be an option at 43. Physical but like Eliasson 6 days shy of the 2025 draft, he is someone who has lots of runway and already is doing lots of little things you like to see. I actually really like the idea of Fischer at 43 but he might fall into the 3rd because he is raw. NHL teams do a terrible job of accounting for age. For example Helenius is 7 months younger than Nygard, that's a full season of development. Fischer is 11 months younger than Nygard for example. 

Spencer Gill, 6'4" RHD could be an option at 43 or perhaps the 3rd round. Another young guy with an Aug 17 bday and room for improvement.

Forwards:

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, 6'1" W 207lbs is a very physical forward if they keep 11. 

Konsta Helenius, 5'11" C 190lbs has that high motor, 2-way thing that Nygard does with a bit less physicality. Would be another good option at 11. 

Sam O'Reilly, 6'1" C 176lbs, is another high motor guy with 2-way physicality to his game. Most likely someone to look at at #43. 

Javon Morre, 6'4" LW 203lbs, probably available in the 3rd and could be a draft steal. HS players are always hard to project but he looks good.

AJ Spellacy, 6'3" C 190lbs, 3rd round is a real possibility for him but he's big, skates really well, has some good ideas and some physicality

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.