2024 NHL DRAFT Talk

Spoonman

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

No, was talking about his time on the Sabres.  So, 21 and 22.  Thanks for the correction.

Again, what was it you disagreed with in the previous post?

I think he is gritty and I don't feel he falls as much as you're saying. 

Athletic's latest mock shows some good talent available at 11.

With Iginla, Sennecke and Helenius still on the board, they have us taking Cole Eiserman.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5515260/2024/05/30/nhl-mock-draft-2024-gm-round-1-expert-picks/

This is just 3 guys playing GM, not an insight into how teams are leaning.

I've seen enough to these to feel pretty good about the chances there will be some good talent available at 11.

Catton and Yakemchuck — 2 guys I frequently see mocked in our range — went considerably higher here.

I'm also starting to see scenarios where one of top consensus D — Buim, Parekh and Dickinson — slips

While I think the "not another offensive or Left D" crew might be upset, those are better players than are often available where we are picking.

Edited by dudacek

There will be a couple very good players available at #11.  That is good for Buffalo if they keep the pick and makes it appealing to other teams in a potential trade.

The only player I’m not in love with is Eiserman, just not impressed with his overall game. But if you make a trade with Kulich then he can replace him as the sniper prospect in the system.

• Like (+1) 1

In 2021, McKenzie had Rosen at #18 in final rankings and we took him at 13.

In 2022, McKenzie had Savoie at #9 in final rankings and we took him exactly there.

In 2023, McKenzie had Benson at #9 in final rankings and he fell to us at 13.

Will somebody fall to us, like last year?  Or will we stretch a little like in 2021?

I'm a bit guilty of looking at the top 10 and wondering who will fall and not paying enough attention to the players ranked 5-6 slots lower than where we will pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

In 2021, McKenzie had Rosen at #18 in final rankings and we took him at 13.

In 2022, McKenzie had Savoie at #9 in final rankings and we took him exactly there.

In 2023, McKenzie had Benson at #9 in final rankings and he fell to us at 13.

Will somebody fall to us, like last year?  Or will we stretch a little like in 2021?

I'm a bit guilty of looking at the top 10 and wondering who will fall and not paying enough attention to the players ranked 5-6 slots lower than where we will pick. 

Catton is the most likely to slide down. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Very prepared for him being labelled can’t miss in the vein of Benson 

He's different than Benson. Catton lacks Benson's tenacity, but most players do. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Run to the podium to draft Catton at #11.

I’m fully prepared for a knee-jerk “not another small, skilled forward”.

He’s a better prospect at 18 than Savoie was and goes 3-8 in most drafts. 

You take him at 11 without hesitation.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

if Catton measures under 5'11" and 170lbs at the combine, I think he slides. 

And it will be amazing watching the usual suspects blow a gasket because the Sabres steal him at 11. “But but but he’s not 6’4. He won’t punch someone in the face every shift”

Just now, Flashsabre said:

And it will be amazing watching the usual suspects blow a gasket because the Sabres steal him at 11. “But but but he’s not 6’4. He won’t punch someone in the face every shift”

Yeah, I don’t want another small forward but you cannot pass on him if he falls to 11. He’s not like Benson but he has the skill to outperform everyone not named Celebrini in this draft.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Yeah, I don’t want another small forward but you cannot pass on him if he falls to 11. He’s not like Benson but he has the skill to outperform everyone not named Celebrini in this draft.

Yep you always take the best player because when it’s time to trade other teams like better players rather than worse players.

If Catton is there you take him and then you can move a Savoie for a great piece now and still have a similar piece in the system.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/30/2024 at 10:28 AM, dudacek said:

Athletic's latest mock shows some good talent available at 11.

With Iginla, Sennecke and Helenius still on the board, they have us taking Cole Eiserman.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5515260/2024/05/30/nhl-mock-draft-2024-gm-round-1-expert-picks/

This is just 3 guys playing GM, not an insight into how teams are leaning.

I've seen enough to these to feel pretty good about the chances there will be some good talent available at 11.

Catton and Yakemchuck — 2 guys I frequently see mocked in our range — went considerably higher here.

I'm also starting to see scenarios where one of top consensus D — Buim, Parekh and Dickinson — slips

While I think the "not another offensive or Left D" crew might be upset, those are better players than are often available where we are picking.

If Dickinson slips to 11 we’d have to grab him. I don’t think he lasts that long but I think he projects to be Owen Power with a ton more nastiness

Scott Wheeler has his final list out in the Athletic and the most interesting thing to me is how he has it it tiered:

#4 is on the same tier as #11, meaning we should see at least one player he’s very high on slide to our spot.

The 2nd most interesting thing to me is how the top guys in his 4th tier (12 and 13 overall) are Yakemchuk and Iginla, 2 guys who are very highly touted by a lot of people.

Everything I am seeing tells me there are going to be names available at 11 that some teams will be shocked are still available.

Which is good news for Buffalo, whether we make the pick, or are trying to trade it.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Another interesting tidbit: Wheeler believes that the top five D in this draft are all better prospects than the two defencemen picked at #5 and #6 overall last year.

That's 3 Levshunov, 4 Buium, 5 Parekh, 6 Dickinson and 9 Silayev.

His #11 is Lindstrom, a pick that would make a lot of people around here pretty happy if it happens.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Another interesting tidbit: Wheeler believes that the top five D in this draft are all better prospects than the two defencemen picked at #5 and #6 overall last year.

That's 3 Levshunov, 4 Buium, 5 Parekh, 6 Dickinson and 9 Silayev.

His #11 is Lindstrom, a pick that would make a lot of people around here pretty happy if it happens.

EP has Lindstrom 4th I think. Their draft guide just released today. 

Edit: Lindstrom is ranked 3rd behind Celebrini and Demidov 

Edited by LGR4GM

57 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

EP has Lindstrom 4th I think. Their draft guide just released today. 

Edit: Lindstrom is ranked 3rd behind Celebrini and Demidov 

Yeah, Even in his write up, Wheeler acknowledges that he will go earlier.

I think his Eiserman and Lindstrom rankings show where Wheeler falls in the size/skill debate.

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Yeah, Even in his write up, Wheeler acknowledges that he will go earlier.

I think his Eiserman and Lindstrom rankings show where Wheeler falls in the size/skill debate.

Where's Eiserman ranked? 

Ah, 7th... that's too high. 

Edited by LGR4GM

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Where's Eiserman ranked? 

7. Wheeler says he sees the concerns, but also thinks the kid has been overanalyzed. Says his goal scoring ability is too rare to ignore, especially for an August birthday.

He doesn’t cite him, but his take made me think of Mike Bossy.