2024 NHL DRAFT Talk

Spoonman

Sennecke had 10g, 26pts for 0.81ppg through his first 32 games of the OHL season (just under half). After that point and counting the playoffs he had 1.36ppg with 27g, 64pts in 47games. That is an 86ppg pace for the 63 regular season games he played. 22pts in 16 playoff games with 10 goals is notable. He finished 3rd on his team in scoring behind Calum Ritchie and Dylan Roobroeck

34 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

was listening to Paul Hamilton on GR and they asked Paul what the Sabres needed. He said no more mini easy to play against Sabres (Not quoted) LOL 

Like 5'10" Zach Benson? Size does not equal hard to play against. Also, anyone you draft at 11 is what? 3 years from the NHL and 4-6 years away from mattering in the NHL. You ain't fixing toughness anytime soon with that method. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Like 5'10" Zach Benson? Size does not equal hard to play against. Also, anyone you draft at 11 is what? 3 years from the NHL and 4-6 years away from mattering in the NHL. You ain't fixing toughness anytime soon with that method. 

I think he was making more of a joke that the team needs more than a 5'10 pest. Either way, he is definitely right. I will happily take Iginla!!!

19 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

I think he was making more of a joke that the team needs more than a 5'10 pest. Either way, he is definitely right. I will happily take Iginla!!!

Zach Benson is far more than a 5'10" pest. He isn't right, he's simplifying and dumbing down what the draft should be. Let's say that 163lb 5'11" Berkly Catton slides to 11, should Buffalo not draft him because 6'2" Bennett Sennecke is there? I'd easily say no, just like last year they shouldn't have passed on Zach Benson to take Matthew Wood. 

Iginla is all but guaranteed to be gone. I can't see any scenario where Iginla makes it past Calgary. Ftr Iginla, Tij is only 6' tall so he isn't exactly a monster. The good news is that outside of Catton (who won't be there at 11) there isn't any smaller forwards to even draft. Eiserman (6' 196lbs), Iginla (6' 185lbs), Greentree (6'2" 198lbs), Sennecke (6'2" 181lbs), Brandsegg-Nygard (6'1" 198lbs), Lindstrom (6'4" 216lbs) are all 6ft tall or bigger. I suppose Helenius is "small" because he is 5'11" but that is the only forward that could be there at 11 that is under 6ft. There isn't a defender either that would be there that is under 6ft.

Basically what I am saying is Hamilton's take is lazy. A. size does not equal grit and Benson and Quinn are perfect examples of that. B. there simply is not a forward in this draft who will be available at 11 that is small because I just don't believe Catton slides. 

Edited by LGR4GM

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Basically what I am saying is Hamilton's take is lazy. A. size does not equal grit and Benson and Quinn are perfect examples of that. B. there simply is not a forward in this draft who will be available at 11 that is small because I just don't believe Catton slides. 

Not highlighting this to debate or reject the point, but the mention of Quinn in this context is interesting. Quinn is not someone whom I would use as an example of grit, at least not right now. I had to pause and consider why it drew my attention; ultimately I can neither accept this or reject it because I personally haven't absorbed enough of his game to argue either way. Is there consensus that Quinn is a gritty player?

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Greentree. This is the guy. 100%. Absolutely.

(unless Iginla slides which is not going to happen)

There will be better players than Greentree at 11. Greentree’s skating will be an issue in the NHL. He’s big but he doesn’t play the gritty tough game you are hoping he does.

5 hours ago, ... said:

Not highlighting this to debate or reject the point, but the mention of Quinn in this context is interesting. Quinn is not someone whom I would use as an example of grit, at least not right now. I had to pause and consider why it drew my attention; ultimately I can neither accept this or reject it because I personally haven't absorbed enough of his game to argue either way. Is there consensus that Quinn is a gritty player?

This is simply my opinion: I do see him as a player with more grit than I expected. I'm not going to get carried away and say that is his main attribute. But when you watch him play, he is willing to go into the corners and battle. And he has the determination to go to the tough areas around the net. In many respects, he plays a more rugged game than JJP. 

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This is simply my opinion: I do see him as a player with more grit than I expected. I'm not going to get carried away and say that is his main attribute. But when you watch him play, he is willing to go into the corners and battle. And he has the determination to go to the tough areas around the net. In many respects, he plays a more rugged game than JJP. 

I wouldn't call him a gritty player, but I would call him a brave player.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If the Sabres lose possession of the puck with Quinn on the ice, he will spend the rest of shift trying to get the puck back.

He and Benson are pain in the ***** to play against that works for me 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If the Sabres lose possession of the puck with Quinn on the ice, he will spend the rest of shift trying to get the puck back.

Agreed. Gritty is a word that seems to have different meaning for different people.

He's not going to scare anybody, but he competes hard on both sides of the puck, gets his hands dirty and plays the game the right way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Agreed. Gritty is a word that seems to have different meaning for different people.

He's not going to scare anybody, but he competes hard on both sides of the puck, gets his hands dirty and plays the game the right way.

Yes.  Determination and grit are not the same thing to most people.  Quinn and Benson have the former.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

That's a fair way of describing his game. He possesses a willingness to go to areas and compete for the puck that a number of players seem to lack. I expect a lot from him this year. It was a shame that he was plagued with injuries last season. 

8 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

There will be better players than Greentree at 11. Greentree’s skating will be an issue in the NHL. He’s big but he doesn’t play the gritty tough game you are hoping he does.

Character. He elevates players around him and rises in tough situations. He's a leader.

I've been listening for years to all the "skating will be an issue" crowd here on various players, and most of them are wrong. Geekie for example, was one of Boston's best forwards in the playoffs. His skating is still an issue. There are other things that matter as well as skating. But whatever. 10-1 we pass and Detroit snaps him up. 

• Like (+1) 1

I always forget how absolutely garbage the NHL Central Scouting Rankings are. Yikes. 

That said, I am really sad that Adam Jiricek either played like crap in the Czech pro league for 19 games or played all of 1 period (I think it was only 1 but it was 1 game) in the WJC20. There just isn't a lot to go on with him and there isn't even a viewing after his knee surgery to see where he is at. This is a wildcard type of pick. San Jose might be a good option because their 2nd 1st round pick at 14 would be a good spot and they have the benefit of already getting Celebrini, which could take the sting off a potential miss. I think Jiricek plays NHL games because he is going to be pretty solid but is he a 5th defender with 25pts a year and good defensive chops or is he a 55pt first pairing beast who destroys opponents in his own end (he is physical, I can say that much). Hard to tell and since I love his brother a lot (can we trade for David Jiricek? Please?) I may be hoping baby Jiricek is more of the same. Anyways, only brought this up because CSS has him ranked 4th for Euro skaters and that's tough considering we haven't seen him play a game since December. Also he won't be 18 until June 28th. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I always forget how absolutely garbage the NHL Central Scouting Rankings are. Yikes. 

That said, I am really sad that Adam Jiricek either played like crap in the Czech pro league for 19 games or played all of 1 period (I think it was only 1 but it was 1 game) in the WJC20. There just isn't a lot to go on with him and there isn't even a viewing after his knee surgery to see where he is at. This is a wildcard type of pick. San Jose might be a good option because their 2nd 1st round pick at 14 would be a good spot and they have the benefit of already getting Celebrini, which could take the sting off a potential miss. I think Jiricek plays NHL games because he is going to be pretty solid but is he a 5th defender with 25pts a year and good defensive chops or is he a 55pt first pairing beast who destroys opponents in his own end (he is physical, I can say that much). Hard to tell and since I love his brother a lot (can we trade for David Jiricek? Please?) I may be hoping baby Jiricek is more of the same. Anyways, only brought this up because CSS has him ranked 4th for Euro skaters and that's tough considering we haven't seen him play a game since December. Also he won't be 18 until June 28th. 

I like him too but it is a reach for the Sabres at 11.

Perhaps the combine will show him to be 100% recovered from the knee injury.

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Would be perfectly fine with them taking a chance on him at 11 just because his brother is going to be SOOOOOO good and if he's 90% of what his brother is, it'll be worth it.

On 5/28/2024 at 8:30 PM, Brawndo said:

He will, and on the 4th time he gets back onto his skates after getting knocked down he'll actually win the puck and if he gets it to Peterka it's gonna be in.  50/50 if Cozens buries it.

But, wadr, that isn't grit.  That's determination.

But, should he gain some strength (and he's young enough that he very well could) that determination could become grit.

24 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He will, and on the 4th time he gets back onto his skates after getting knocked down he'll actually win the puck and if he gets it to Peterka it's gonna be in.  50/50 if Cozens buries it.

But, wadr, that isn't grit.  That's determination.

But, should he gain some strength (and he's young enough that he very well could) that determination could become grit.

I all but completely disagree with your take on Quinn here. I look forward to him in 2024.

35 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Would be perfectly fine with them taking a chance on him at 11 just because his brother is going to be SOOOOOO good and if he's 90% of what his brother is, it'll be worth it.

Welp if he's anything like his brother buffalo will not draft him 

They're not going to bring in a bad apple 

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I all but completely disagree with your take on Quinn here. I look forward to him in 2024.

What exactly do you disagree with?  That he (at age 19 and still to an extent at 20 too but we didn't see much of him at that age so it's a much smaller sample size) would get knocked down quite often when cycling the puck, heck there were at LEAST 2 shifts where he got knocked down FOUR times in a single shift but got up EVERY single time and ended up with the puck multiple times and then got the puck over to a linemate that got an INCREDIBLE scoring chance.  And, IIRC, the one that went to Peterka got buried and the one that went to Cozens didn't.

Getting knocked down isn't a crime.  Not getting back up should be.  Quinn ain't no criminal.  He's determined and he's a blast to watch.  

On a slightly different note, Reinhart STILL gets knocked down a lot.  But he doesn't tend to lose the puck getting knocked down and he gets right back up.  And that getting knocked down is going to cost him exactly $0 because it doesn't make him an ineffective player.  Quinn has a LOT of that same determination and willingness to go to areas that he will get knocked down (it's just his areas still seem to be more along the boards and peripheral rather than to the front of the net (where, btw, Reinhart somehow doesn't seem to get knocked down much)).

Can't wait to see Quinn healthy and playing full time in the top 6.  Him being there and being what he can be will go a long way towards breaking this early April golfing streak should that streak finally end.

And he's exhausting to play against.  But he isn't "hard" to play against.  Bergeron was exhausting to play against and tougher to play against than Marchand but Marchand's been harder to play against.  In their prime, would much rather have had Bergeron wearing B&G than the Rat Faced Git because he was tougher to play against though they're both tough to play against.

42 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Not to nitpick but you mean at 21 and barely at 22. Not 19 and 20. Quinn will be 23 in September. 

Unless you're talking about him in Rochester at 20

No, was talking about his time on the Sabres.  So, 21 and 22.  Thanks for the correction.

Again, what was it you disagreed with in the previous post?