Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Trading 11 for Laughton and Deslauries should get their staff fired instantly 

I don't agree. While I don't think Laughton and DesLauriers are worth that pick, adding them to the roster and not losing anything from the roster makes the team better and if that's what KA has to do to turn the corner then do it. 

Maybe Kane is out there saying do something to make the team better and I will consider joining? Other free agents might feel the same. Here's a team that is really serious about taking the leap forward. 

I truly don't care what or how many prospects or picks we give up this year if it means we get in the playoffs and have turned things around. We've been cautious, frugal and prudent for long enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

I’m not sure this is true. Laughton is a terrible hockey player. Defensively worse than Skinner, without the production to even things out. Assets would have to be coming to the Sabres for me to consider taking him. And Dlo has a tough, physical game, which would be nice to add, but doesn’t bring enough else to be anything more than a 12th/13th forward. I would Offer a 3rd or 4th round pick for that package at the most. 

I disagree with your assessment of their abilities but likely we will never have to worry about any of this anyway. It's all just talk and speculation at the moment. 

Oh we all know the stats never get things wrong. Really, we should just use AI for our next GM. 

There's no question Laughton has been crap in Philly but it's a little like PLD. He isn't happy there. doesn't like Torts, wants to be traded, etc etc. Sure, it's a gamble in some ways but he is a classic "needs a new start" kind of guy.

Is he my preference? Absolutely not. Still say he'd make us better though. 

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I kinda expect Laughton to the Sens.

Highly possible, and if it did happen it would be because Giroux told them good things about him.

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh we all know the stats never get things wrong. Really, we should just use AI for our next GM. 

There's no question Laughton has been crap in Philly but it's a little like PLD. He isn't happy there. doesn't like Torts, wants to be traded, etc etc. Sure, it's a gamble in some ways but he is a classic "needs a new start" kind of guy.

Is he my preference? Absolutely not. Still say he'd make us better though. 

Artificial intelligence, in this case llm AI, are not statistics. This comment doesn't make any sense. It's dismissive in order to be dismissive. 

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

PLD is on his 4th change of scenery... maybe the stats are right?

Quite possibly. 

Stats don't measure character, motive, and effort level though. They just give you the result not the cause. Will Laughton play differently here or on another team idk. Some thing so though. Don't know if KA is one of them or not. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Artificial intelligence, in this case llm AI, are not statistics. This comment doesn't make any sense. It's dismissive in order to be dismissive. 

An AI GM would base all it's decision making on the stats fed into it. It would be 100% analytics. You'd love it. 

Press conferences probably wouldn't change at all 🙂

30 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Quite possibly. 

Stats don't measure character, motive, and effort level though. They just give you the result not the cause. Will Laughton play differently here or on another team idk. Some thing so though. Don't know if KA is one of them or not. 

An AI GM would base all it's decision making on the stats fed into it. It would be 100% analytics. You'd love it. 

Press conferences probably wouldn't change at all 🙂

You don't understand analytics if you think that. 

Great. Let's trade for Laughton and hope he "feels like it" when he gets here. 

Btw, I simply posted the cards. I made no comment, but didn't matter.

Edited by LGR4GM

Laughton is not a good option.

There are much better players to fill that role.

If Laughton is brought in then Ventura and the analytics dept should quit on the spot.

a well oiled front office should work with Adams and company telling Ventura”these are the role players we need. Your job is to look at the analytics and tell us the best options”

Laughton should not be on the list if that is the way they are working.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

You don't understand analytics if you think that. 

Great. Let's trade for Laughton and hope he "feels like it" when he gets here. 

Btw, I simply posted the cards. I made no comment, but didn't matter.

I know and I said it would be a gamble of sorts but I've seen a few Flyers games where Laughton looked pretty good. He's a different kind of player than lots of what we have so I think he could fill a role. 

Now as for the analytics, what's to "understand"? Stats with correlations of what happened when somebody was on or off the ice. Computers have made them possible. Some people want to rely on them more than other people. We differ on their value. It's not important. 

18 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Laughton is not a good option.

There are much better players to fill that role.

If Laughton is brought in then Ventura and the analytics dept should quit on the spot.

a well oiled front office should work with Adams and company telling Ventura”these are the role players we need. Your job is to look at the analytics and tell us the best options”

Laughton should not be on the list if that is the way they are working.

There are better players to fill that role. Absolutely. Can we get them though? That's the question. 

If he goes anywhere it's likely Ottawa anyway so no worries. 

• Like (+1) 1

This was amusing. 

Who in Buffalo will open up their house?

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/michael-buble-makes-hilarious-offer-canucks-guentzel?utm_source=Daily+Hive+-+Vancouver&utm_campaign=418727bd71-daily_buzz_vancouver_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_-cc264ed5f5-[LIST_EMAIL_ID]

Note the rumored price for Guentzel though. That's a crazy number imo. I mean he's good, but he's not that good or else we'd be watching Carolina in the cup right now instead of Florida. 

14 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So, if the Sabres ARE trading for Eriksson Ek expect it to happen draft day and expect 11 going back as part of the package.  Because that trade AIN'T happening 3 days later.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ek and Jeannot, please and thank you.

A little surprised Thompson’s NTC is that limited. Good on Adams.

And who gave Nick Seeler a complete no trade?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Can we do better then Jeannot ? He had one fluke year and people are still believing he can produce like that.

30 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Can we do better then Jeannot ? He had one fluke year and people are still believing he can produce like that.

Pretty sure the fascination with Jeannot is due to him being able to play hockey at a good 4th line level and also kick the snot out of guys that have historically been considered to push the Sabres around.  Doubt anybody expects him to magically become a good 3rd liner.  But, unlike John Scott, who though he was an ASG MVP, made one heck of a mechanical (or was it aeronautical) engineer as a hockey player, he can actually play hockey.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

So, if the Sabres ARE trading for Eriksson Ek expect it to happen draft day and expect 11 going back as part of the package.  Because that trade AIN'T happening 3 days later.

I would calm our jets on this tbh. The Ek rumour is basically non-existent aside from Tom’s comment. I don’t see any smoke there 

like even in rumour circles 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I found myself asking similar questions about a few different players in those lists. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.