Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

“On the Spittin Chicklets podcast Paul Bissonnette reports the Leafs are aggressively trying to extend Marner and not focused on trading him.”

Oh Boy. They are giving him $15 million X 8 years aren’t they?😂 

Just keep running it back Leafs. The fans are already fed up with Marner. Imagine they announce an 8 year extension after yet another playoff bust

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

“On the Spittin Chicklets podcast Paul Bissonnette reports the Leafs are aggressively trying to extend Marner and not focused on trading him.”

Oh Boy. They are giving him $15 million X 8 years aren’t they?😂 

Just keep running it back Leafs. The fans are already fed up with Marner. Imagine they announce an 8 year extension after yet another playoff bust

That honestly would be hilarious just to see Toronto fans wring their hands in outrage

41 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

okay this was strange to read.

So what on Filly's roster would be the equivalent of 11 & Krebs?

Expect Danault or Eriksson Ek would be better value for that, but doubt that returns either.

36 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

okay this was strange to read.

Nicolas Deslauriers
Owen Tippett
and pick 32

for 
pick 11
and Krebs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The only players that would make any sense to acquire with 11+ would be Kocecny and to a lesser extent Drysdale. They just traded for Drysdale, so I can’t see them moving him that quickly (he’s more of the same anyways, except right handed). Maybe 11OA Frost+Cam York? I don’t know, not seeing a potential trade that would appeal to both sides, unless Kocecny isn’t re-signing.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ... said:

Nicolas Deslauriers
Owen Tippett
and pick 32

for 
pick 11
and Krebs

Tippett is a winger signed for 8 years at 6.2 million a season with a career high 53 points. He’s a solid player, but IMO slightly overpaid, and really doesn’t fit into the long term plan.

3 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

The only players that would make any sense to acquire with 11+ would be Kocecny and to a lesser extent Drysdale. They just traded for Drysdale, so I can’t see them moving him that quickly (he’s more of the same anyways, except right handed). Maybe 11OA Frost+Cam York? I don’t know, not seeing a potential trade that would appeal to both sides, unless Kocecny isn’t re-signing.

Agree that Kocecny would be the target but I doubt they give him up.  I said Tippett because he can score and quick look at stats suggests he's pretty responsible on the ice. 

I'm not saying I would do this, but it seems like the most probable, again, from a quick look. I don't really know Philly all too well.

• Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Farabee is in the trade block due to rumours. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Expect Danault or Eriksson Ek would be better value for that, but doubt that returns either.

Good question. It's a head scratcher.

26 minutes ago, ... said:

Nicolas Deslauriers
Owen Tippett
and pick 32

for 
pick 11
and Krebs

With the fighter talk I did wonder about DesLauriers but I can't see them moving Tippett. He was one of the guys Torts actually liked and used and they signed him to term. 

Laughton and Frost are Flyers that are definitely being offered around. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SabreFinn said:

Farabee is in the trade block due to rumours. 

Not someone I’m very interested in, especially not at the price of 11OA. 4 years at 5 million a season with average analytics despite spending most of the year playing with Konecny. He could help us this season, but he’d be too expensive for the bottom six role he’d be in after this season. 

• Agree 2

It feels to me like 11 is too sweet to give up for a player:

a) not in your long term plans and/or

b) not going to play in your top 6 and/or

c) not addressing a clear need

The thought of cutting Skinner then trading 11 in order to get a Skinner-Esque player in Farabee or Tippett or Frost doesn’t make sense to me from either the value perspective or the roster building perspective.

The Sabres already have Skinner, Peterka, Quinn, Benson, Rosen, and Kulich in or pushing for 3 available offensive winger roles.

#11 needs to be steered toward a greater value and/or need.

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 2

Konecny is the only Flyer I would entertain giving up 11 for, and only if there was an extension coming or a significant sweetener added in.

The only other Flyer forwards I have any interest in are Couturier, Laughton and Cates (or maybe a retained Deslauriers) but not for #11. I thought Lysowski’s article where Laughton was the main prize for #11 was embarrassing.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I could see Adams trading the pick for Laughton AND DesLauriers. 

Not in any way suggesting that is good value necessarily. Just that I could see him doing it. 

It would make the Sabres a better team right now. 

Buy out Skinner and replace him with Konecny? Yes. Sure. 

Couturier idk. That very bad back. He couldn't handle a whole season. When healthy very good, but, that would be a huge gamble.

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

A better question might be why do they want to get us out of their way on the draft. 

46 minutes ago, shrader said:

A better question might be why do they want to get us out of their way on the draft. 

Perhaps to get to some player that they value way, way higher than the Sabres do?

With the NHL especially, I get the sense that, once you get outside that first tier of undisputed prized prospects, there's a legitimate muddle among the next ~40 (?) prospects -- where Team A could have a player at 35 on its board and Team B could have the same player at 12.

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Perhaps to get to some player that they value way, way higher than the Sabres do?

With the NHL especially, I get the sense that, once you get outside that first tier of undisputed prized prospects, there's a legitimate muddle among the next ~40 (?) prospects -- where Team A could have a player at 35 on its board and Team B could have the same player at 12.

I’d look at it from the other direction. They want someone they think Buffalo wants so they try to sweeten the pot a bit. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

I’d look at it from the other direction. They want someone they think Buffalo wants so they try to sweeten the pot a bit. 

But then wouldn’t they be more likely to trade 12+ something smaller to move to somewhere in the 9-11 range? Them wanting 11 and 12 points to them wanting 2 players from that range (potentially from a group of 3-5 players).

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not in any way suggesting that is good value necessarily. Just that I could see him doing it. 

Couturier idk. That very bad back. He couldn't handle a whole season. When healthy very good, but, that would be a huge gamble.

Trading 11 for Laughton and Deslauries should get their staff fired instantly 

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

But then wouldn’t they be more likely to trade 12+ something smaller to move to somewhere in the 9-11 range? Them wanting 11 and 12 points to them wanting 2 players from that range (potentially from a group of 3-5 players).

That hints of a rebuild and the desire to move some older players.

2 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

I'd suspect a little from column A and a little from column B, honestly.

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I’m not sure this is true. Laughton is a terrible hockey player. Defensively worse than Skinner, without the production to even things out. Assets would have to be coming to the Sabres for me to consider taking him. And Dlo has a tough, physical game, which would be nice to add, but doesn’t bring enough else to be anything more than a 12th/13th forward. I would Offer a 3rd or 4th round pick for that package at the most. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.