Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

Overpaid for his current production.

Good faceoff guy. Gritty and will drop the gloves. Two Cups with Tampa. Southern Ontario guy.

I would gamble on him, bring him to camp and if he is done waive him.

Not with that contract I wouldn't. 

Oh snap, I used capfriendly to understand what the NYR dropping Goodrow could mean for the Sabres... am I being a good fan or a bad fan? 

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh snap, I used capfriendly to understand what the NYR dropping Goodrow could mean for the Sabres... am I being a good fan or a bad fan? 

Yeah, I wish he was making half of his $3.6M, that would be much better.

He is still the type of player the Sabres need. Wore an A with NYR. Good on the PK too.

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

Please and thank you.  Overpaid but exactly what they need.  Three of him to be exactly exact. 

Mixed feelings on him; his analytics weren't great this year but he was also being played 20-80 with Zone starts which is insanity

• Like (+1) 1

Goodrow. Hmmmm.

He's pricier than Okposo was last season, but if you can get a Zemgus replacement (who is willing to fighter, or... because it's the Sabres... re-sign Zemgus under $2M), then the only real hunting to be done is for a veteran 3C. Other bottom 6 moves would become niceties.

Only 33 at the end of the contract, which isn't terrible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, inkman said:

Cam Atkinson anyone?

Wait one goll durned second.  Filly is looking to trade Atkinson, trade him with retention, buy him out, OR keep him?  Any other Phlyers Dreger can give us as quality insight into what Briere is considering for their futures as well?

Short of talking him into early retirement (and MAYBE they're trying that tack as well, you never know), that is pretty much every option that is available to all teams for all players they have under contract.

50 minutes ago, inkman said:

Cam Atkinson anyone?

He’s terrible now, would legitimately be a bad pickup.

Goodrow is one of those toss ups, player fits the mold we need but he’s making about 1 to 1.5 mil over what he should be making. 

Would I personally take him on… probably; if he fails miserably he’ll probably find another taker with retention due to his playoff experience. Otherwise he’s a solid rolepalyer

3 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Goodrow. Hmmmm.

He's pricier than Okposo was last season, but if you can get a Zemgus replacement (who is willing to fighter, or... because it's the Sabres... re-sign Zemgus under $2M), then the only real hunting to be done is for a veteran 3C. Other bottom 6 moves would become niceties.

Only 33 at the end of the contract, which isn't terrible.

But, presumably he was waived so the Rags can buy him out, right?  So, if the Sabres don't pounce on him by noon (2PM?) tomorrow, they'll have another crack at him at whatever contract they could come to an agreement with him on.  (Of course, they'd now be competing with up to 30 other teams for his services at that point but still if he WANTS to be in Buffalo see no reason for them to guarantee an overpayment of him.  And if they'd need to make a claim on him to land him, don't see Adams doing that.)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

But, presumably he was waived so the Rags can buy him out, right?  So, if the Sabres don't pounce on him by noon (2PM?) tomorrow, they'll have another crack at him at whatever contract they could come to an agreement with him on.  (Of course, they'd now be competing with up to 30 other teams for his services at that point but still if he WANTS to be in Buffalo see no reason for them to guarantee an overpayment of him.  And if they'd need to make a claim on him to land him, don't see Adams doing that.)

Perhaps. But also it gives them a bunch of cap space for July 1st. Alternately, it gives them lots of time to trade someone with value who they don't see as part of their future... maybe a Chytil.

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You're being fiscally responsible rather than just trying to win next season. You can decide for yourself if you think that's "good" or "bad". 

20 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Perhaps. But also it gives them a bunch of cap space for July 1st. Alternately, it gives them lots of time to trade someone with value who they don't see as part of their future... maybe a Chytil.

What do you mean by perhaps?  If they didn't waive him with intention to buy him out, where are they getting all this cap space from?  They'll gain ~$950k in cap space by him being "in the minors."  They gain $8.8MM in cap space above and beyond the actual $88MM cap by it simply being between July 1 and opening night.

Truly not understanding your point.

28 minutes ago, Taro T said:

What do you mean by perhaps?  If they didn't waive him with intention to buy him out, where are they getting all this cap space from?  They'll gain ~$950k in cap space by him being "in the minors."  They gain $8.8MM in cap space above and beyond the actual $88MM cap by it simply being between July 1 and opening night.

Truly not understanding your point.

They're at 9.2M now, over 10M in cap once he clears tomorrow. It 99% likelihood a courtesy to other GMs "if you want him, claim him. Otherwise, watch him go to a contender for pennies..."  But they could still keep him in the minors, then watch as LTIR takes hold of someone and lo, Goodrow appears in the playoffs. Or, as I said, they can go land their big fish and deal with his contract later. It's just flexibility.

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

They're at 9.2M now, over 10M in cap once he clears tomorrow. It 99% likelihood a courtesy to other GMs "if you want him, claim him. Otherwise, watch him go to a contender for pennies..."  But they could still keep him in the minors, then watch as LTIR takes hold of someone and lo, Goodrow appears in the playoffs. Or, as I said, they can go land their big fish and deal with his contract later. It's just flexibility.

You can't add a player to your playoff roster at this point in the year.  And they can't keep him in the minors over the summer hoping he doesn't have to clear waivers in October.  It doesn't work that way.  There is NOTHING (readily apparent) gained by waiving him today and keeping him in the organization.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I could be wrong, but if you're going to buy a player out don't they always waive them first? It might even be a necessary part of the process. 

I’m not an expert on this, but the Sabres are not able to waive Skinner because of his NMC. Yet, they can buy him out. So I don’t think you need to waive a player first. 

I suspect this is just the Rangers hoping he will be claimed or that a team will reach out about a trade that works better for them than a buyout. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.