Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

51 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I would calm our jets on this tbh. The Ek rumour is basically non-existent aside from Tom’s comment. I don’t see any smoke there 

like even in rumour circles 

Dead quiet. 

Like all the Byram chatter prior to that one shocking the hell out Friedman and all his cronies. 

😁

(For the record, if Tom says they are chasing him, I believe him. But if they actually acquired him, I’d be shocked as hell. Like I was with the Byram deal.)

Edited by dudacek

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Dead quiet. 

Like all the Byram chatter prior to that one shocking the hell out Friedman and all his cronies. 

😁

My immediate reaction when he mentioned Ek was to get excited I just don’t think it’s worth getting hopes up after I thought about it a bit more, seeing that lack of smoke. But ya sometimes these things happen out of nowhere, true 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I would calm our jets on this tbh. The Ek rumour is basically non-existent aside from Tom’s comment. I don’t see any smoke there 

like even in rumour circles 

What jets need to be calmed?  Didn't state that the Sabres will trade for him.  Said that if they do expect it to happen on day 1 at the draft and do not expect it later than that because he would be able to shut any attempt to trade him 3 days after that.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Ek and Jeannot, please and thank you.

A little surprised Thompson’s NTC is that limited. Good on Adams.

And who gave Nick Seeler a complete no trade?

The Thompson one was strange wasn't it? I guess there's a few places he really doesn't want to go 😉

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

My immediate reaction when he mentioned Ek was to get excited I just don’t think it’s worth getting hopes up after I thought about it a bit more, seeing that lack of smoke. But ya sometimes these things happen out of nowhere, true 

The Dubois Kuemper trade came out of nowhere too.

i think the vast majority of “insider” rumours are simply the result of an agent or a GM trying to leverage something. If it’s not coming out I think that’s because the people privy to the talks have nothing to gain.

But it’s not exactly quiet around Buffalo either.

The word from the combine was Buffalo was working on “something big” which tells me people know Kevyn has been shaking a lot of trees with exactly that message. It’s just that the gossips don’t know whether his intent has led to serious conversations.

But like @Taro T said, we should know soon.

43 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The Dubois Kuemper trade came out of nowhere too.

i think the vast majority of “insider” rumours are simply the result of an agent or a GM trying to leverage something. If it’s not coming out I think that’s because the people privy to the talks have nothing to gain.

But it’s not exactly quiet around Buffalo either.

The word from the combine was Buffalo was working on “something big” which tells me people know Kevyn has been shaking a lot of trees with exactly that message. It’s just that the gossips don’t know whether his intent has led to serious conversations.

Vast amount of insider rumours are engagement driven 

- - - 

You may be right. It’s just funny it does sort of feel like the setup to the “well, we tried!” punchline at this point. At least that’s my perception but maybe we haven’t seen smoke like this before. I’m excited to be excited: if the moves happen I’ll be gung-ho 

As for “knowing soon”, I agree. I know we can’t rule out other moves but let’s be REALISTIC if we pass the draft and FA without much substance and we’re in “GMs are hEaDed to tHeiR cAbInS” territory…given past (league wide, trade action) precedent we’d need to start thinking about lowering the bar

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

(For the record, if Tom says they are chasing him, I believe him. But if they actually acquired him, I’d be shocked as hell. Like I was with the Byram deal.)

There is a guy on the hockeybuzz Sabres comments that has been right on a lot of things over the last several years. He said to look to Minnesota and then later implied it was JEE. He then said their backup plan was a former Habs player out west.  That could be Danualt, Monahan, Toffoli, Drouin but I would suspect it is either Danault or Monahan.

so for what it is worth I have read the JEE smoke from two sources that have been proven to be connected over the years.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

There is a guy on the hockeybuzz Sabres comments that has been right on a lot of things over the last several years. He said to look to Minnesota and then later implied it was JEE. He then said their backup plan was a former Habs player out west.  That could be Danualt, Monahan, Toffoli, Drouin but I would suspect it is either Danault or Monahan.

so for what it is worth I have read the JEE smoke from two sources that have been proven to be connected over the years.

Can't see LA trading Danault, especially after ditching PLD. Could be Monahan. Heard that one before. Toffoli will be an in demand player for plan B when teams don't sign guys like Guentzel. His name gets mentioned all over. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Yup. I suspect once July 1 hits we won't get any more trades until the fall. The big deals will happen before those no move clauses kick in and before teams turn to free agency. Then deals will be re-priced after some free agents go and needs/wants are left over. 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yup. I suspect once July 1 hits we won't get any more trades until the fall. The big deals will happen before those no move clauses kick in and before teams turn to free agency. Then deals will be re-priced after some free agents go and needs/wants are left over. 

Except if Tavares waives to go elsewhere, he only is owed 1 mil cash after July 1st

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Link for this Hockey buzz commenter please

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Vast amount of insider rumours are engagement driven 

- - - 

You may be right. It’s just funny it does sort of feel like the setup to the “well, we tried!” punchline at this point. At least that’s my perception but maybe we haven’t seen smoke like this before. I’m excited to be excited: if the moves happen I’ll be gung-ho 

As for “knowing soon”, I agree. I know we can’t rule out other moves but let’s be REALISTIC if we pass the draft and FA without much substance and we’re in “GMs are hEaDed to tHeiR cAbInS” territory…given past (league wide, trade action) precedent we’d need to start thinking about lowering the bar

That’s exactly what it feels like to me.

This reminds me of 2019 when thought Jason Botterill was in a position to put his stamp on the Sabres.

And he came through with Marcus Johansson, Colin Miller and Jimmy Vesey.

We’re conditioned to feel this way.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

This reminds me of 2019 when thought Jason Botterill was in a position to put his stamp on the Sabres.

The difference this time is Ruff. 

14 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Can we do better then Jeannot ? He had one fluke year and people are still believing he can produce like that.

We can, but we wouldn’t get what Jeannot is best at.  We need a heavey-weightish presence unless we are going the pack mentality route, and right now the core is not conducive to a pack level response.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, dudacek said:

Ek and Jeannot, please and thank you.

A little surprised Thompson’s NTC is that limited. Good on Adams.

And who gave Nick Seeler a complete no trade?

Here is a crazy question. If a player has a no trade clause to the Coyote's does that exclude a trade to Utah? 

15 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

And there won’t be a ton in the fall 

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

Good pull, does feel like MOJO so far 

we shall see 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

idk I might be living in a delusion of hope but it feels different to me this time. We shall know soon if I am fully deluded or not. 

You expect more action league wide compared to normal in the fall?

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You expect more action league wide compared to normal in the fall?

In the fall no, before that yes.  A lot. There is enough parity in the league that I think a number of GMs think this is a good time to make a push/surge and get in the playoffs for the teams that were on the outside looking in or to get over the peak for the top teams that fell short. Some GMs under pressure but mostly just thinking it could be them. I think they saw how Vancouver leaped forward last year and really think this could be us. That might be bad for Buffalo if one or more of them get that right and Adams will have competition for assets. This is why I think we will have to overpay if we are truly serious about making a leap. 

I think a number of trades might be waiting for draft day itself. There might be a framework in place but teams who want any of those high first round picks might have specific players in mind and if the guy goes early trade might die or move to version 2. 

For example, there's 2 strong Ullmark versions currently ongoing. One with Ottawa that likely involves Chychrun but it seems an extension is involved in that. On the other hand Detroit wants Ullmark but without an extension so presumably with a smaller return for Boston but Yzerman looks like he wants to make a try for playoffs now while his younger goalie develops. Point being that there's lots of talking going on but one thing hinges on another thing and really who knows what finally happens at this point. 

Honestly, I think the salary cap (even with the Vegas style cheating) has finally given the league what it hoped for and there is enough parity to make things very interesting. 

In that regard, best thing I heard this week is Leaf management watching Edmonton is starting to think maybe they should stay the course and stick with the big 4. Just add grit pieces around them. That made my day. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

In the fall no, before that yes.  A lot. There is enough parity in the league that I think a number of GMs think this is a good time to make a push/surge and get in the playoffs for the teams that were on the outside looking in or to get over the peak for the top teams that fell short. Some GMs under pressure but mostly just thinking it could be them. I think they saw how Vancouver leaped forward last year and really think this could be us. That might be bad for Buffalo if one or more of them get that right and Adams will have competition for assets. This is why I think we will have to overpay if we are truly serious about making a leap. 

I think a number of trades might be waiting for draft day itself. There might be a framework in place but teams who want any of those high first round picks might have specific players in mind and if the guy goes early trade might die or move to version 2. 

For example, there's 2 strong Ullmark versions currently ongoing. One with Ottawa that likely involves Chychrun but it seems an extension is involved in that. On the other hand Detroit wants Ullmark but without an extension so presumably with a smaller return for Boston but Yzerman looks like he wants to make a try for playoffs now while his younger goalie develops. Point being that there's lots of talking going on but one thing hinges on another thing and really who knows what finally happens at this point. 

Honestly, I think the salary cap (even with the Vegas style cheating) has finally given the league what it hoped for and there is enough parity to make things very interesting. 

In that regard, best thing I heard this week is Leaf management watching Edmonton is starting to think maybe they should stay the course and stick with the big 4. Just add grit pieces around them. That made my day. 

Ya I basically agree I was specifically referring to the fall in the post of mine you quoted 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.