Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

Sabres have 23.518 million in cap with 13 guys signed. 5 defenders and 8 forwards. That leaves 2.3mil average for the remaining 10 guys. Keep in mind that this doesn't include Levi who is in the AHL on capfriendly so you gotta subtract 1 spot and 925k unless you think Adams is signing another guy. 

4 hours ago, stinky finger said:

Just another guy.

What am I missing?

He is a lot more than just... another guy.

With the Sabres he was whatever we needed him to be in the top 9.  3C?  1C?  2C?  Winger?  He's also developed a pretty solid 2-way game.

When he was traded he was leading the Sabres in scoring.  I think the Sabres could use just another guy like that.

23 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

He is a lot more than just... another guy.

With the Sabres he was whatever we needed him to be in the top 9.  3C?  1C?  2C?  Winger?  He's also developed a pretty solid 2-way game.

When he was traded he was leading the Sabres in scoring.  I think the Sabres could use just another guy like that.

Versatile? Sure, I agree. Nothing he does jumps off the screen for me though. I won't miss him.

20 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Then you weren't paying attention.

I was. Erod is better on a playoff team. Mitts lacks the grit to compete in a game like last night and he was literally a JAG during the Avs playoff run. They limited the minutes his line was on the ice. Sure, that line added some goals, but not critical goals. They weren't particularly stand out in the D zone and they definitely didn't stand out in the O zone with some dramatic puck-cycling. These things are the very definition of a line made up of competent JAG NHLers.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ... said:

I was. Erod is better on a playoff team. Mitts lacks the grit to compete in a game like last night and he was literally a JAG during the Avs playoff run. They limited the minutes his line was on the ice. Sure, that line added some goals, but not critical goals. They weren't particularly stand out in the D zone and they definitely didn't stand out in the O zone with some dramatic puck-cycling. These things are the very definition of a line made up of competent JAG NHLers.

Out-voted again.  😕 

3 hours ago, ... said:

ERod has learned to be what he can be and he's playing between 2 really good wingers. His skating lets him match the pace and he has good ice vision but it's the composition of the line that makes it work. This is something that the Sabres have been struggling with for years. Assembling lines where players have roles that work together as a unit rather than individual skills. ERod is also going harder to the dirty areas and playing more fearless than he used to, but again, that's also because of who surrounds him and opens up ice for him.

It's the same for Reinhart's line. Good complimentary pieces and as I've said before, Barkov does not get the recognition he deserves. 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

ERod has learned to be what he can be and he's playing between 2 really good wingers. His skating lets him match the pace and he has good ice vision but it's the composition of the line that makes it work. This is something that the Sabres have been struggling with for years. Assembling lines where players have roles that work together as a unit rather than individual skills. ERod is also going harder to the dirty areas and playing more fearless than he used to, but again, that's also because of who surrounds him and opens up ice for him.

It's the same for Reinhart's line. Good complimentary pieces and as I've said before, Barkov does not get the recognition he deserves. 

57 goals and you still struggle to see it?

50 minutes ago, dudacek said:

57 goals and you still struggle to see it?

Because Reinhart is elevated by Barkov. You don't see that. 

Look at an example I have familiarity with. Brad Marchand's numbers went way down this year. People saying oh he's losing a step, getting old, which is true to some extent, but the big reason? No Bergeron. It's the exact same thing with Reinhart and Barkov. 

Reinhart shot 8.9% above his career average this season. That's almost 4 full standard deviations off the average so Sam is going to regress in terms of sh%. In a normal year, Reinhart gets 36g not 57. Pay accordingly. 

10 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

If Samson had Tage as his centre he would score 50 for the Sabres.  He is a goal scorer and has matured in Florida.  He never had a proper setup man in Buffalo.  So, @PerreaultForever you are right to a certain extent, but so is @dudacek.

Serious question and off topic but is Tage a set up man?  For his career he has more goals than assists.  

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I need to see more from Tage. He tries to dangle too much, he should be dropping his shoulder and with his reach could throw defenders off. Deke every now and then but his toe drag has gotten old 

His online name is ‘Tommy Dangles’.  It’s what he does, it’s… who he is.  It’s his essence of being.   Do you tell Pete Rose not to hustle?  Do you tell the Babe to not swat dingers? Do you tell Charles not to rebound?  

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

His online name is ‘Tommy Dangles’.  It’s what he does, it’s… who he is.  It’s his essence of being.   Do you tell Pete Rose not to hustle?  Do you tell the Babe to not swat dingers? Do you tell Charles not to rebound?  

Well, yes... I do. 

However, they do not listen 😂😂

11 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Good news: He has changed it to Tommer97.

Not sure what the new name implies. There’s a a Tommer Construction in the state of Washington. Maybe he’s embracing a wrecking ball? 
(I know wishful thinking)

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.