OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

2 hours ago, Demoted said:

Natural selection takes place in those moments.  The biggest problem isn't these people staying, it's that if they make it through the emergency responders are put at risk if they need saving.

Agreed. They should be told there will be no help coming if they choose to stay.

• Like (+1) 1

Massive tornado outbreak going on ahead of Hurricane Milton's arrival...17 tornado warnings in effect currently...and these aren't the typical weak F0 or F1  tropical tornadoes that happen a lot in Florida, these are intense ones.

Here is a great live stream from meteorologists that will be covering everything Milton related...currently dealing with tornado warning and outbreaks and showing footage of live tornadoes on the ground.

Edited by matter2003

5 hours ago, Stoner said:

I talked about how terrible meteorologists are back in April with their horribly botched eclipse forecast. That didn't hurt anyone.

But I watched some covg of Milton yesterday. One meteorologist said the eye would pass directly over downtown Tampa. On a nightly network newscast they showed a future track of the storm as it passed over Tampa and then went across the state. The reporter was standing on a map with the radar superimposed. Cool effect but of course nonsense.

Almost inarguably covg like that will cost lives and property. Because guess what the real pros at the National Hurrican Center, which puts out a cone of probability, hours later said the storm would track much further to the south.

There are people on the beach in Tampa waiting for the hurricane to see the storm surge. No more accurate forecasting is going to save those lives.

Just now, SwampD said:

There are people on the beach in Tampa waiting for the hurricane to see the storm surge. No more accurate forecasting is going to save those lives.

From The Weather Channel I would guess.

6 hours ago, Stoner said:

Because guess what the real pros at the National Hurrican Center, which puts out a cone of probability, hours later said the storm would track much further to the south.

I work with a lot of people in Orlando.  Trust me, they're looking more in depth than that fluff weather forecasts.

6 hours ago, Stoner said:

I talked about how terrible meteorologists are back in April with their horribly botched eclipse forecast. That didn't hurt anyone.

But I watched some covg of Milton yesterday. One meteorologist said the eye would pass directly over downtown Tampa. On a nightly network newscast they showed a future track of the storm as it passed over Tampa and then went across the state. The reporter was standing on a map with the radar superimposed. Cool effect but of course nonsense.

Almost inarguably covg like that will cost lives and property. Because guess what the real pros at the National Hurrican Center, which puts out a cone of probability, hours later said the storm would track much further to the south.

Looking like the eye may go into the bay right now, or into AMI/Bradenton.  So it appears that one meteorologist may not be so wrong.  

23 hours ago, SwampD said:

Good lord, this storm is going to kill a lot of people. 

You bought the hype. It really is a shame they won't tell the truth. But politicians and govt types can't risk being blamed, and the media will never miss a chance to score ratings and clicks. As Carlin said many times, the greatest product this country makes is BS.

Yes 10 died and that's 10 too many. They died in the tornadoes that preceded landfall.

14 hours ago, Stoner said:

You bought the hype. It really is a shame they won't tell the truth. But politicians and govt types can't risk being blamed, and the media will never miss a chance to score ratings and clicks. As Carlin said many times, the greatest product this country makes is BS.

Yes 10 died and that's 10 too many. They died in the tornadoes that preceded landfall.

What are you talking about? What Hype? I was watching live coverage of the largest tornado outbreak in the history of Florida when I said that. And tornados are a part of hurricanes.

Who isn’t telling the truth? Do you believe that “the govt” has a hurricane machine?!

And if you want to talk BS, how about all this conspiracy BS. It’s getting really old.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Stoner said:

Hype? It happened and there's destruction everywhere. You seem to have your politics screwed up with the weather. I guess being a Stoner will do that to you.

Edited by Demoted

3 hours ago, Demoted said:

Hype? It happened and there's destruction everywhere. You seem to have your politics screwed up with the weather. I guess being a Stoner will do that to you.

A politician, not I, said, "If you stay you will die." The morgues must be full on the Gulf Coast.

I'd say you can cry wolf only so many times, but then I remember a great quote I heard recently... humans are the most hackable species.

Edited by Stoner

19 minutes ago, Stoner said:

A politician, not I, said, "If you stay you will die." The morgues must be full on the Gulf Coast.

I'd say you can cry wolf only so many times, but then I remember a great quote I heard recently... humans are the most hackable species.

You’re not fooling anyone PA

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Stoner said:

He wasn't wrong... no one is crying wolf. You know crying wolf means to lie over and over. These people are warning you if you are not lucky you will probably die. Looks like some people were lucky and some weren't.

You probably should stay away from talking politics and weather as it seems you have no grasp of either. 

This guy is talking like he is an alien species, it's so weird.

Edited by Demoted
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Stoner said:

You forget that I don’t watch tv. I never heard a politician say that. I was watching the live radar on a weather nerd podcast and made up my own mind. Sorry if it aligned with some clickbait Turkey.

• Like (+1) 1