OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

That tornado passed about 1/8th of a mile north of where our office building is. I parked on the street today. Thankfully, there was no damage to my vehicle. People parked ~100' feet to the north of me were not so lucky. I had some storm debris on my windshield (roofing materials, looks like) - but no damage.

There's more incoming as well.

Storms often don't behave the way they used to. Existing models are of limited utility.

• Shocked 1

15 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

That tornado passed about 1/8th of a mile north of where our office building is. I parked on the street today. Thankfully, there was no damage to my vehicle. People parked ~100' feet to the north of me were not so lucky. I had some storm debris on my windshield (roofing materials, looks like) - but no damage.

There's more incoming as well.

Storms often don't behave the way they used to. Existing models are of limited utility.

Nah, this is just a blip. Now let’s cut big checks to all those flooded and burned up homes and run it back! 

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Night Train said:

This weather is getting more and more extreme around the globe.  I feel for my kids. I'm only around for a little more. Concerning. 

very much so. hopefully, they can figure out how to adapt, or even mitigate the problems. i moved my kid into college yesterday — northeast ohio. holy hell what a storm that was. they may be without power for a week or more.

I was in the Clearwater area on Sunday/Monday when Debby went through.  Hard to quantify what 13" of rain is like in such a short period of time. Thankfully my AirBNB was elevated and we had little impact.  The flooding was significant only 2-3 miles from us.

The storm surge was definitely easy to quantify given how much beach was covered with water on Monday morning. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Night Train said:

All the best thoughts for those living down south and dealing with the extreme  rain and wind from Helene. 

I work with quite a few people in Florida, GA, and South Carolina.  One employee was mandatory evacuation in St. Peterburg and had already seen the flooding begin. Crazy stuff and I am sure what I will hear today will make yesterday seem tame. 

They were also talking about two more storms following close behind.  I suppose the positive is that these aren't higher category storms. Still, the amount of rain that falls in these lower category storms is a bit unbelievable. They talk about rain:snow ratio as 1:10.  I can't imagine the 130" of snow that would have equated to when I was down in Tampa during Debbie.

We are intimately familiar with 77" of snow at Orchard Park... add another 53"?  Hooooo.

• Like (+1) 1

meanwhile Buffalo is about to post a record warm September and the likely the only one ever to average 68+ degrees on record.  Previous record warm month was 67.3 degrees in 2015. Currently at 67.9 and if forecast holds should come in around 68 or 68.1 for the month.

Edited by matter2003

12 minutes ago, Demoted said:

The hurricane and destruction are actually the easiest part to deal with.

It's the insurance companies that are the biggest pain when this destruction hits..

I didn't have experience with insurance but...

Hurricane Charley hit Florida 2 decades ago, and I was just out of college and lived in an apartment complex in Daytona. I think by the time it got across the state it was all the way down to a category 1 over Daytona, but it still did damage (a few small planes were left out at the airport and they flipped over, some power lines and trees down, you didn't want to drive on the streets because you would likely get a flat tire, etc)

But the biggest thing I remember was losing power. A lot of us lost power, but within a couple days  MOST Of the area had it back on. However, the complex I lived in, the power lines that fed our complex ran through a wooded field behind our complex, that was not only  dense with trees  but was absolutely flooded. They couldn't get workers/trucks back there to repair the power until it dried out.  I watched a few blocks to each side get their power back but I didn't have it for a full week.

Living in the aftermath of a hurricane, that whole week temps were near 90, with rain and humidity pushing the heat index up to 100 degrees.  No Air conditioning. No refrigerator or freezer. No fans.  Upper floor apartment complex.  I was off from work the entire week and I got in my car everyday and drove up north almost all the way to St. Augustine to walk around a mall in the middle of the day to cool off and get gas, until the Mall in Daytona (a 5 minute walk from my apartment complex) got power back and then I just hung around there all day.

• Like (+1) 1

When I get back to work tomorrow I expect to hear a lot more about the impacts to people in my company.  We have a large group of employees in the Spartnaburg/Greenville area and it's just south of Asheville/Busick areas in NC that got hammered.  Most of them had no power early Friday morning and it only got worse.  We also have quite a few people in the Charlotte area and while many had no power I had yet to hear about the same impacts.

I had not realized that the storm had increased in strength so much. Finally getting up to watching the news, etc. and seeing the damage.  Earlier I spoke about the rain to snow ratio and talked about 13" of rain.... 30" of rain would be 300" of snow.  25 feet of snow... I know we can imagine a lot of snow if you've been in the snow belts, but 25 feet?

13 hours ago, LTS said:

When I get back to work tomorrow I expect to hear a lot more about the impacts to people in my company.  We have a large group of employees in the Spartnaburg/Greenville area and it's just south of Asheville/Busick areas in NC that got hammered.  Most of them had no power early Friday morning and it only got worse.  We also have quite a few people in the Charlotte area and while many had no power I had yet to hear about the same impacts.

I had not realized that the storm had increased in strength so much. Finally getting up to watching the news, etc. and seeing the damage.  Earlier I spoke about the rain to snow ratio and talked about 13" of rain.... 30" of rain would be 300" of snow.  25 feet of snow... I know we can imagine a lot of snow if you've been in the snow belts, but 25 feet?

Crazy the places that got hit the worst weren't even in the path of the hurricane 

22 hours ago, LTS said:

Have family down in Columbia, SC and my BIL works as a line repair person for the utility company and he has been basically nonstop since it happened....said he has been doing it 20 years and traveling all over when places get hit to help out and he said it is the worst he has seen since he's been doing it.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Have family down in Columbia, SC and my BIL works as a line repair person for the utility company and he has been basically nonstop since it happened....said he has been doing it 20 years and traveling all over when places get hit to help out and he said it is the worst he has seen since he's been doing it.

I am a retired lineman and have done storm restoration work throughout the eastern seaboard. Those outage numbers in South Carolina have barely dropped in almost a week, meaning it is a lot of damage. I have a lot of friends working in the southeast at the moment, I couldn’t go due to a project.

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

I am a retired lineman and have done storm restoration work throughout the eastern seaboard. Those outage numbers in South Carolina have barely dropped in almost a week, meaning it is a lot of damage. I have a lot of friends working in the southeast at the moment, I couldn’t go due to a project.

It's honestly shocking how the areas that weren't directly impacted by the brunt of the hurricane seem to be the worst off out of all of this...

On 9/28/2024 at 6:46 PM, Big Guava said:

Some other place in NC(Busick I think?) had 30 inches of rain in 48 hours. That is insane! 

How is that even possible?? That must have been like Biblical rain where it just looks like someone pouring buckets down your windows for hours on end to the point you couldn't even see outside.

Buffalo looks like it will have it's 3rd warmest September on record, giving us 6 of the first 9 months of 2024 that are in the top 10 all time warmest since records started being kept in 1873. Also had another month come in 15th so that was fairly close also.  All months of 2024 have been at least 1 degree above normal except August which came in at "only" 0.7 degrees above normal. The "coolest" month relative to normal this year came in at 37th out of 151, which is still well above average.

Unless we have a very cold last 3 months, easily should shatter the record for warmest year ever recorded in Buffalo.

Edited by matter2003

38 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Buffalo looks like it will have it's 3rd warmest September on record, giving us 6 of the first 9 months of 2024 that are in the top 10 all time warmest since records started being kept in 1873. Also had another month come in 15th so that was fairly close also.  All months of 2024 have been at least 1 degree above normal except August which came in at "only" 0.7 degrees above normal. The "coolest" month relative to normal this year came in at 37th out of 151, which is still well above average.

Unless we have a very cold last 3 months, easily should shatter the record for warmest year ever recorded in Buffalo.

I thought I heard on Friday that Buffalo was on pace for a month long average of 68 deg, which had never happened before.  Did Saturday and Sunday blow that?