OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

20 hours ago, Big Guava said:

Cool and rainy,and that's the good time of the year.

I mean the average summer high temp for July is 73 in the warm places like London...if you are in Ireland or Scotland, likely mid to low 60s for highs.

Pretty much spot on. Our May up here in Scotland was the incredibly wet, punctuated by a few days of blistering heat. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, steveoath said:

Pretty much spot on. Our May up here in Scotland was the incredibly wet, punctuated by a few days of blistering heat. 

We are the exact same here in New Scotland, but early April was your May.  Now we are in a severe drought again.

17 hours ago, Night Train said:

The Central USA and the South are taking a beating this year. All those storms and tornado's. Just awful. 

It's starting to feel like central Florida here in north Texas.  Seems like every afternoon we get a thunderstorm rolling through.  I think that cycle ended yesterday though; forecasts are for minimal rain in the foreseeable future.

I've enjoyed the rain, enjoyed the cooler than normal temps.  It'll start really heating up now I fear.  But the rain has helped the new plants I planted, and the sod I put down, to get established.  Now if it doesn't make in the next three months it might just make it.

• Like (+1) 1

If the eclipse mania taught us anything it's that weather forecasters can't forecast anything with specificity unless it's a two hour forecast. And even then...

So what govt employee would write this 48 hour forecast with a straight face?

A chance of showers before 11am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms between 11am and 2pm, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 2pm.

These folks remain the scum of the earth.

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

As an inhabitant of Tornado Alley, weather forecasters are a lifeline.  And on the important stuff they're very good.  When you look back at severe weather events and compare to the predictions, they usually track quite well.

GH8JDueXUAApU25.thumb.jpg.f9ba088e58b9d4b6ec18b965617d49e7.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

If the eclipse mania taught us anything it's that weather forecasters can't forecast anything with specificity unless it's a two hour forecast. And even then...

So what govt employee would write this 48 hour forecast with a straight face?

A chance of showers before 11am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms between 11am and 2pm, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 2pm.

When I was a park ranger, visitors would ask me all the time what the weather was going to be like.  I always told them, there's a 50% chance of rain.  I figured either it would or it wouldn't.  And I was always right!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Weave said:

The hell is with WNY having a monsoon season this Summer?  I don’t recall a stretch of Summer with so much downpour rainfall.

Having had a basement VERY prone to flooding prior to some major work we had done in the yard, can tell you we've had MANY a summer with as much, if not more, downpour rainfall.

18 minutes ago, Weave said:

The hell is with WNY having a monsoon season this Summer?  I don’t recall a stretch of Summer with so much downpour rainfall.

It depends on what part of WNY you live in.

Here in Niagara county, we finally got some decent rain the past week, but up until now, we needed it badly.  Even with the rain of the last few days, most of the yards in our neighborhood still have some brown showing in the grass.

On 6/2/2024 at 4:18 PM, Night Train said:

The Central USA and the South are taking a beating this year. All those storms and tornado's. Just awful. 

Speaking of Tornadoes...

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Strong T-Storms caused by very humid, warm air masses...all it takes is a minor disturbance passing thru to act as a trigger. Also spawned 2 tornadoes. The lake usually protects us a great deal, but it can't do much when it's that warm and humid.

Edited by matter2003

On 6/3/2024 at 12:22 PM, Doohickie said:

As an inhabitant of Tornado Alley, weather forecasters are a lifeline.  And on the important stuff they're very good.  When you look back at severe weather events and compare to the predictions, they usually track quite well.

GH8JDueXUAApU25.thumb.jpg.f9ba088e58b9d4b6ec18b965617d49e7.jpg

Went to school in Saint Louis and spent some time in Kansas...thought I was going to die one night, had a huge tornado outbreak that spawned like 40 tornadoes within a 200 mile radius of where I was.

Got woke up around midnight to the sound of what I could only describe as a jet engine literally directly overhead and outside my hotel room that lasted for like 30-40 seconds straight....I was scared sh!tless...thought it was a tornado, nope...

Next day I'm talking to one of the locals and asked them about that and they laughed and said "Yeah...I haven't heard that in a while...it happens but not very often...".  Apparently it's basically non-stop thunder being caused by the intensity and frequency of the lightning happening...hope I never experience that again.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, Weave said:

It's been so windy too. No data on whether it's unusual. Unsettled as well. Just not what we think of as summer.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

It's been so windy too. No data on whether it's unusual. Unsettled as well. Just not what we think of as summer.

Windy and unsettled for sure. July’s generally so stable. It’s August that tends to be more changeable.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Having had a basement VERY prone to flooding prior to some major work we had done in the yard, can tell you we've had MANY a summer with as much, if not more, downpour rainfall.

I’m generally in a dry slot.  The lake breeze storms we usually see mid summer are north of me, and the more typical “weather” stuff crosses south of me.  We were actually in drought conditions left over from last year up until about 1 month ago.  This last few weeks we’ve seen way more big storms in general than I can remember around here.

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

It depends on what part of WNY you live in.

Here in Niagara county, we finally got some decent rain the past week, but up until now, we needed it badly.  Even with the rain of the last few days, most of the yards in our neighborhood still have some brown showing in the grass.

Yeah it is location dependent.  As I mentioned above, we are usually in a relatively dry slot for WNY.  This last bit has been a change for us.

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I can’t believe nobody mentioned the bonkers hail storm from yesterday. We saw some pieces damneer the size of a ping pong ball. 

Hail?  Ive had tornado warnings on my phone twice in 5 freaking days.

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Windy and unsettled for sure. July’s generally so stable. It’s August that tends to be more changeable.

Well last week was due to Hurricane Beryl which is highly unusual for that early in the season, let alone to be a Cat 4 in June then a Cat 5 the first day of July.  That was packing a TON of gulf moisture with it. Actually unheard of and honestly kinda terrifying.

However yesterday we actually had the most rain for the month at 1.27 inches...last week with Beryl officially only got .69 inches, but obviously some places got a lot more...just dependent on where the heaviest T-Storms were.

For the month we are a tad under 4 degrees above normal temp wise and only half an inch of rain so that isn't too much of an outlier. Average wind speed for the month has been 8.0 mph, so that is definitely well within normal range if not a tad low. 

We had some gusty winds due to downdrafts with the T-Storms and maybe one or two other days had some wind but all in all it has't been too bad, IMO.

Warmer temps usually mean more gulf moisture and higher humidity levels which lead to more potential T-Storms...also Lake Erie temp is warmer than usual which offers less protection against T-Storms being able to form.

Edited by matter2003
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2024 at 7:04 AM, SwampD said:

Already hot.

Yesterday was the hottest yet. No way we were cooking. The car read 105 when we went out to pick up dinner.  I could just gotten out and done hot yoga.

I have no idea how people can live in places where it is like this (or worse) for 3-5 months every year.

Yeah, I lived in Florida for a few years in my 20's, I guess you get used to it, but I never totally did.  Everyone is different, but I'll take the cold and wind chills for 3 months over this. I can't wait till October.

• Thanks (+1) 1