OSP: Tom Golisano BN article

Stoner

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Not 32 years older though.  Come on....

Absolutely.  

Just now, Doohickie said:

I did a bit of Googling.  First of all, let me tell you the hits related to mail order brides is rather off-putting.  But I found this which doesn't indicate at all that Serbian women prefer much older men (admittedly that is not authoritative).

I'm not referring to mail order brides.  It's a simple cultural difference that I have personal experience with.

The mail order bride thing was a side issue.  I was searching for Serbian marriage customs.  Still.... 32 years?  No way that's normal.  I suspect your "personal experience" is small sample size, anecdotal stuff. 

Also, Seles didn't get married until her 40s.  That's not typical in any culture.

Edited by Doohickie

20 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The mail order bride thing was a side issue.  I was searching for Serbian marriage customs.  Still.... 32 years?  No way that's normal.  I suspect your "personal experience" is small sample size, anecdotal stuff. 

Also, Seles didn't get married until her 40s.  That's not typical in any culture.

Neither is being a nine time winner of a Grand Slam event and a stint as the best female tennis player in the world.  Only 4 Grand Slam events per year (assuming they don't slide the Austrailian back into December in which case there could be 5) & only 1 top ranked female player at any given time.

Understood.  Just questioning the age difference assertion that @Eleven is talking about.  Yes, many cultures have some age difference... my dad was 6 years older than my mom; my grandfather was 10 years older than my grandmother.  In my (Polish American) culture that seems to be a result of a young man establishing himself before marrying, but most of the women his age have already married (to men older than him) so there available women are younger in age.

But 32 years difference... I think calling that typical in just about any culture is a stretch.

And the subject has been hammered into the ground by now; I've said my piece and I'm done.

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Pay Me Kim Kardashian GIF by GQ

Ok maybe, but Monica Seles is one of the better female tennis players of all time.  She made $15M in prize money alone, with unknown additional income from advertising. I get that Golisano has more money than that, but how much could that really improve her life?  Not more than being married to someone you don’t like would make it worse, IMPO.  

• 2 years later...

I attended the event this morning where Golisano announced his gifts of $360MM to nonprofits in Rochester, Syracuse, and Buffalo.

What an absolute trip, since nobody who had been invited was aware of what was going to be announced.

The money will mean the world to the agency that I was there helping to represent.

Also, and I found this amusing, I was just starting to get over the sort of "out of body experience" sensation that overcame me -- once it became clear what the purpose of the event was -- when Golisano called out words of thanks to his wife Monica and asked her to stand up and be recognized.

I had totally forgotten about the connection. So -- already a bit dumbstruck -- I directed my attention to the woman who was now standing up and waving to the crowd, and I was like: "Da fuq is Monica Seles doing here?!"

Link to a story about the event:

https://13wham.com/news/local/tom-golisano-donating-360-to-nonprofit-organizations-across-upstate-new-york-rochester-buffalo-syracuse

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I attended the event this morning where Golisano announced his gifts of $360MM to nonprofits in Rochester, Syracuse, and Buffalo.

What an absolute trip, since nobody who had been invited was aware of what was going to be announced.

The money will mean the world to the agency that I was there helping to represent.

Also, and I found this amusing, I was just starting to get over the sort of "out of body experience" sensation that overcame me -- once it became clear what the purpose of the event was -- when Golisano called out words of thanks to his wife Monica and asked her to stand up and be recognized.

I had totally forgotten about the connection. So -- already a bit dumbstruck -- I directed my attention to the woman who was now standing up and waving to the crowd, and I was like: "Da fuq is Monica Seles doing here?!"

Link to a story about the event:

https://13wham.com/news/local/tom-golisano-donating-360-to-nonprofit-organizations-across-upstate-new-york-rochester-buffalo-syracuse

"I applied for immortality and they didn't give it to me" 

😂

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, SwampD said:

"I applied for immortality and they didn't give it to me" 

😂

I was in the cheap seats - I sorta didn't catch that line cleanly. But I put it together by inference.

I give the man credit. All other billionaires should do what he did. Few do.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, bg17 said:

I can’t think of an act of philanthropy quite like it.

$360MM. Given away. 82 recipients. Unrestricted.

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I can’t think of an act of philanthropy quite like it.

$360MM. Given away. 82 recipients. Unrestricted.

How’s that different than the Wilson Foundation giving away $1B? And I’m really asking because I don’t desire to read the details of either. I think they are both registries though.

57 minutes ago, tom webster said:

How’s that different than the Wilson Foundation giving away $1B? And I’m really asking because I don’t desire to read the details of either. I think they are both registries though.

I’m unfamiliar with how the Wilson Foundation has structured its giving. But I don’t think it was structured quite like this: Gifts of 5, 10, 20 million given to dozens of nonprofits - no strings, no conditions, no restrictions.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/15/2019 at 10:18 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Other than ensure both major franchises remain in Buffalo and fueled a renaissance at the foot of Main St, and keeps trying to succeed, not withholding resources like OSP did, I guess the Pegulas have done absolutely nothing.

The Bills are the 2nd most winning team in all of the 4 major sports over the last 5 seasons...but yeah... that's "nothing" I guess.