GDT: Pens at Sabres 7 pm ET, 3/21/17

PromoTheRobot

Was this game not a microcosm of Crosby's entire career? Flailing enough to cause controversy, a sly nut-shot, an absolutely ridiculous goal, embarrassing the Sabres

Also this: https://twitter.com/Jbro1999/status/844352933366042624?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fhfboards.hockeysfuture.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2206033

Full disclosure - they blew this faceoff dead and retried it.

Edited by Randall Flagg

With ROR, Okposo, Kane, and whomever else we have next year, I sure hope so, otherwise, what was the ###### point of the tank.

We only have 1 defenseman. We do not develop players well at all, evidenced by the Amerks sucking for a very long time. I expect very little to nothing from any of Baptist, Bailey, Hudson, or Guhle.

Hopefully Kane has found his consistency, and can stay healthy. Okposo has never impressed me, and I hope ROR continues being ROR (although, I feel he's been a little down this year). Jack and Sam were already very good when we got them. Hopefully they both can remain healthy and productive. But we have absolutely no defense. Risto got tossed tonight and McCabe forgot how to play hockey. Gorges is 200 years old, bogosian is truly awful, apparently and that's all she friggin wrote.

Sidney Crosby can die in a fire any day now. Supremely talented player, complete and total little bitch.

Risto got unlucky. If the Pens player isn't inexplicably bending over whilst simultaneously looking behind him and almost touching the puck that's 2.

Lenny, once again, and I may be starting to sound like a broken record here, owes every skater on his team a kick to the balls in the locker room.

This team is not as bad as the coach is making them. I heard Rob Ray before puck drop quoting Terry Murray with the old "turn the defense" nonsense tonight. Two things there: 1: the team doesn't seem to be able to do it consistently (I think largely since dumping it in past today's defenseman is an entirely different proposition to 1998 when Disco played 4 minutes a night, and 2: even when it happens, they don't seem to win or keep the puck at all ever). This team is talented. The best power play in the league, and yet awful at 5v5. What does this tell us? That perhaps what we're doing at even strength isn't working, or perhaps is insane and/or stupid.

The defense is another matter entirely and gores to the root of the argument as to what is truly responsible for all the badness, coach or roster. They, the players, and specifically the D, are not this bad. Crosby's goal tonight, countless others this year, right up the middle of the freaking ice. It's obviously the system they're being told to play, nobody has a damn clue what to do or where to go when the puck ends up coming straight up,the middle. Over and over and over again. You can see the thought bubbles coming off of at least four guys at any one time when the puck is in between yet above the face off circles. No clue, no plan. Which can not be possible, but it's happened so many times there can be no other explanation.

Can the defense get better? Of course, always, yes please. But the team can get better with a coach who maybe is conversant with hockey post Y2K (and didn't luck into coaching one of the most talented teams in recent memory, but still underachieving by only winning once).

Sabres are missing Okposo and his scoring and toughness along the boards.  That being said Austin impressed me on D.  Didn't think he was that good a skater... He won't ever be the guy skating the puck up... but has a nasty streak and decent passer.  He has a nice shot too and keeps the front of the net clear.  What was really nice was with his size he was able to use it effectively in scrums behind the net.  He and Falk might be too good replacements to Bogo and Franson long run... Bring up Ghule to play with them and you only need one more puck mover maybe Makar in the draft.  Hoping the Sabres can find a few gems in this draft on Offense and D to develop in Rochester too.

Sidney Crosby can die in a fire any day now. Supremely talented player, complete and total little bitch.

Risto got unlucky. If the Pens player isn't inexplicably bending over whilst simultaneously looking behind him and almost touching the puck that's 2.

Lenny, once again, and I may be starting to sound like a broken record here, owes every skater on his team a kick to the balls in the locker room.

This team is not as bad as the coach is making them. I heard Rob Ray before puck drop quoting Terry Murray with the old "turn the defense" nonsense tonight. Two things there: 1: the team doesn't seem to be able to do it consistently (I think largely since dumping it in past today's defenseman is an entirely different proposition to 1998 when Disco played 4 minutes a ###### night, and 2: even when it happens, they don't seem to win or keep the puck at all ever). This team is talented. The best power play in the league, and yet awful at 5v5. What does this tell us? That perhaps what we're doing at even strength isn't working, or perhaps is insane and/or stupid.

The defense is another matter entirely and gores to the root of the argument as to what is truly responsible for all the badness, coach or roster. They, the players, and specifically the D, are not this bad. Crosby's goal tonight, countless others this year, right up the middle of the freaking ice. It's obviously the system they're being told to play, nobody has a damn clue what to do or where to go when the puck ends up coming straight up,the middle. Over and over and over again. You can see the thought bubbles coming off of at least four guys at any one time when the puck is in between yet above the face off circles. No clue, no plan. Which can not be possible, but it's happened so many times there can be no other explanation.

Can the defense get better? Of course, always, yes please. But the team can get better with a coach who maybe is conversant with hockey post Y2K (and didn't luck into coaching one of the most talented teams in recent memory, but still underachieving by only winning once).

Agree on the back end though Gorges is awful in the corners too.  

We're so used to watching bad defensemen that Brady Austin looks good. In reality he's a poor man's Mike Weber. Good AHL player, not even close to NHL caliber.

Ruhwedel looked light years better than Nelson. That's a check mark against GMTM.

Was this game not a microcosm of Crosby's entire career? Flailing enough to cause controversy, a sly nut-shot, an absolutely ridiculous goal, embarrassing the Sabres

Also this: https://twitter.com/Jbro1999/status/844352933366042624?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fhfboards.hockeysfuture.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2206033

Full disclosure - they blew this faceoff dead and retried it.

The fact an NHL ref even dropped it like that in the first place is a disgrace. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Oh just ###### you.

Ancient rhetorical device to test the poster's logic?

Sure you don't want to write about sports? Physics, pffft.

Have you seen Bylsma's postseason record? He's made it past the 2nd round twice.

AKA Buffalo Sabres head coaching legend.

Lehner slo-tossed his stick in a WTF move.

I thought so too, but the replay showed a Gorges stick clipped him in the neck or side of the head. He was reaching for the wound.

Lehner deserved a better fate.

Anyone objectively grading performance would have to say the list of players who have outperformed Lehner this season is very, very small.

Sure you don't want to write about sports? Physics, pffft.

PA - writing about sports would be a dream come true. Physics is an equally potent dream that is much more obtainable at this point in my life.

Would I put grad school on hold to get a job for/relating to the Buffalo Sabres? Yes, I would. Would that ever happen? I don't see how it could! 

PA - writing about sports would be a dream come true. Physics is an equally potent dream that is much more obtainable at this point in my life.

Would I put grad school on hold to get a job for/relating to the Buffalo Sabres? Yes, I would. Would that ever happen? I don't see how it could!

Have you sent your breakout analysis to Tim Murray yet?

Have you sent your breakout analysis to Tim Murray yet?

On Jack, you mean?

I have a strange question. Was Crosby's shot really on the backhand? He's a lefthanded shot, went to the backhand and took his lower (left) hand off the stick. So the flick with his right hand was essentially a forehand, right?

On Jack, you mean?

I have a strange question. Was Crosby's shot really on the backhand? He's a lefthanded shot, went to the backhand and took his lower (left) hand off the stick. So the flick with his right hand was essentially a forehand, right?

To your first question: Randall's series of posts where he compares our breakout to the Canes. First-rate stuff.

To your second, you could argue it was a forehand because - unlike a conventional backhand - it was powered by his dominant hand, but I say backhand, because it came off the backside of his stick.

Edited by dudacek

To your second, you could argue it was a forehand because - unlike a conventional backhand - it was powered by his dominant hand, but I say backhand, because it came off the backside of his stick.

Offhand backhand. Makes it all the more impressive if you ask me

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.