Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

So since the Bills are tanking does that mean that Pegula went through the same exact trajectory with the Bills as he did with the Sabres?

Keep the staff on, infuse the org with money. When that fails, scorch the earth.

How many seasons has Tpegs owned the Bills?

I wouldn't consider it a complete rebuild just cuz they moved Watkins and Darby for picks and J. Matthews.    It's not like an all out fire sale for picks.  

He bought the Bills in fall of 2014... so I wouldn't count that season... so two seasons, going on number three.

His first order of business was to end the Toronto series.... thank God.

Edited by pi2000

I wouldn't consider it a complete rebuild just cuz they moved Watkins and Darby for picks and J. Matthews. It's not like an all out fire sale for picks.

He bought the Bills in fall of 2014... so I wouldn't count that season... so two seasons, going on number three.

His first order of business was to end the Toronto series.... thank ###### God.

Starting without Tyrod kinda seals it though.

For a team this crappy, the Bills have no business having a payroll that is above league average.

But who says it's going to be crappy. They been basically a 9-7,8-8 the last three years. With any kind of defense the last two years they would have made the pkayoffs. They haven't list anyone that was a key contributor last year and have added Lawson and White and put their entire defensive front in a position to succeed. On top of that, they added three high picks next year and another in two years. They also will be in a great cap position next year.

I understand all the negativity. I also realize this team could implode this year. There is a real chance that they trade Shady if some team becomes desperate. They would love to dump Darius but likely can't. We will see but I'm telling you, good times could be around the corner. There is a real belief they hit a Homerun with this coachi and GM. I know that ultimately that's what we all want.

Edited by tom webster

But who says it's going to be crappy. They been basically a 9-7,8-8 the last three years. With any kind of defense the last two years they would have made the pkayoffs. They haven't list anyone that was a key contributor last year and have added Lawson and White and put their entire defensive front in a position to succeed. On top of that, they added three high picks next year and another in two years. They also will be in a great cap position next year.

I understand all the negativity. I also realize this team could implode this year. There is a real chance that they trade Shady if some team becomes desperate. They would love to dump Darius but likely can't. We will see but I'm telling you, good times could be around the corner. There is a real belief they hit a Homerun with this coachi and GM. I know that ultimately that's what we all want.

I've outlined my own reading of the tea leaves. What is it about McDermott and Beane that you like specifically?

I wish I could share in your optimism, Tom. As for negativity, I believe it's more of a reaction to the fact that we've been getting bamboozled over and over. Remember that one girl that treated you like garbage but you couldn't fully let her go? That's a Bills' fan right now.

Good news? I can't remember her name now! So it goes with the Bills...

Could you outline whose belief it is that we hit a home run? I just don't ingest enough football media to know who thinks what and whose opinions matter. How is it different from the general optimism of any new hire? 

Could you outline whose belief it is that we hit a home run? I just don't ingest enough football media to know who thinks what and whose opinions matter. How is it different from the general optimism of any new hire?

Therein lies the problem, you never really know until they have to do the job. I can tell you people that work with the team on a daily basis have, without solicitation, talked about how different the players are behaving when outside the public view.

McDermott, in spite of what is portrayed in this board, has been viewed as a coach in waiting for a couple of years. His attention to detail and his unwavering belief to do things his way without backing down is seen as Belichek-esque. Reporters from Philadelphia and Carolina talk about how he has that presence, that command of the room.

Beane, I haven't heard as much about but the fact that he hired two well respected people that would be candidates for his job tell me all I need to know.

Again, there is no way of knowing if any of it is different. History shows that there are no past experiences that predict future success. I still believe a lot of it is really beyond anyone's control. New England makes as many personnel mistakes as anyone but as long as they have TB, no one talks about it.

I like the GM and coach hire. But, two decades of history tells me this roster isn't a playoff roster. It'll take a couple of years to fix things. First order of business is clear cap space and stockpile draft picks. Bean seems to be doing that. IMHO, the monster contracts of Marcell Dareus and Cordy Glenn are two that Bean needs to seriously consider ridding himself of (either one or the other, probably not both).

There is a real belief they hit a Homerun with this coachi and GM. I know that ultimately that's what we all want.

I have seen no evidence of this (that we hit a home run, not that people want to Billieve).  And their dishonesty about not tanking this season isn't helping convince me.

I have seen no evidence of this (that we hit a home run, not that people want to Billieve).  And their dishonesty about not tanking this season isn't helping convince me.

They are not being dishonest. They have not gone full tank mode yet. What have they done to tank? Sammy wasn't hear most of the year. Darby was awful last year. They changed the defense to better fit the personnel and have returned as many as 7 of 11 starters of last year's 10th best offense.

They are not being dishonest. They have not gone full tank mode yet. What have they done to tank? Sammy wasn't hear most of the year. Darby was awful last year. They changed the defense to better fit the personnel and have returned as many as 7 of 11 starters of last year's 10th best offense.

Getting rid of your #1 WR, not signing your #1 CB, getting rid of your new #1 CB.  There's a reason Boldin retired out of the blue.  He saw the tank coming.

And let me be clear, I don't care if they do tank this year.  It appears to be a good year to do it and they can really stack up the team for the future.  But call it what it is.

Getting rid of your #1 WR, not signing your #1 CB, getting rid of your new #1 CB.  There's a reason Boldin retired out of the blue.  He saw the tank coming.

And let me be clear, I don't care if they do tank this year.  It appears to be a good year to do it and they can really stack up the team for the future.  But call it what it is.

My take is the Darby move made sense. He is a man-to-man corner and McD runs a zone system. Different skills set needed at CB. Plus McD wants "character guys" and maybe Darby wasn't that (?).

The Watkins move is a little more puzzling. I'm guessing it was about cap economics (e.g., future salary demands). Or, maybe Sammy wanted out and/or let it be known he was gone after his contract expired? Attitude problem? ...we'll probably never know.

Based on the TBN today, cutting or trading Dareus would result in prohibitive cap hits both this year and next year.  We're stuck with him.

I, too, like what I've seen from McD and Beane, but it really feels like we're embarking on a 4-12 season here.  There have just been too many setbacks in the preseason.

Holy smokes Matt Stafford landed a record deal. He signed a 5 year extension w/ Detroit. Stafford is guaranteed 92 million!! W/ this deal and the contracts Carr and Luck recently signed, a new expected salary is slowly being set for franchise qb's. A contract like that will be a large hit to cap space.

Holy smokes Matt Stafford landed a record deal. He signed a 5 year extension w/ Detroit. Stafford is guaranteed 92 million!! W/ this deal and the contracts Carr and Luck recently signed, a new expected salary is slowly being set for franchise qb's. A contract like that will be a large hit to cap space.

Fortunately, the Bills appear destined to never get another franchise QB. So, their prices becoming outrageous won't keep the Bills from having an All-Pro punter.

<_<

Getting rid of your #1 WR, not signing your #1 CB, getting rid of your new #1 CB. There's a reason Boldin retired out of the blue. He saw the tank coming.

And let me be clear, I don't care if they do tank this year. It appears to be a good year to do it and they can really stack up the team for the future. But call it what it is.

It's not.

It's not.

I agree with you. They are not trying to lose. Or win. Foot on brake and accelerator. Trade away young talent for pennies such as Watkins, Darby, Ragland. Let Gilmore, Gilislee walk. Bring back Kyle Williams. Sign Eric Wood to ridiculous 8,000,000 a year extension when he is old and injured last year with a younger, cheaper comparable replacement here already in Groy. Does anyone think Bill B would extend Eric Wood when Groy is here? Wood was a marketing move, not a football move. Same with bringing back Tyrod. Marketing move not a football move. Installing a west coast offense to go with my new attacking 4-3 D? Heard this before from Greggo Williams. Now instead of Mike Shephard we get Curtis Modkins, I mean Rick Dennison!

One has to ask why the only PATTERN i see in Buffalo is the same cheap circus marketing gimmicks and tricks. Where are the football people? Can we put some adults in charge? 

I agree with you. They are not trying to lose. Or win. Foot on brake and accelerator. Trade away young talent for pennies such as Watkins, Darby, Ragland. Let Gilmore, Gilislee walk. Bring back Kyle Williams. Sign Eric Wood to ridiculous 8,000,000 a year extension when he is old and injured last year with a younger, cheaper comparable replacement here already in Groy. Does anyone think Bill B would extend Eric Wood when Groy is here? Wood was a marketing move, not a football move. Same with bringing back Tyrod. Marketing move not a football move. Installing a west coast offense to go with my new attacking 4-3 D? Heard this before from Greggo Williams. Now instead of Mike Shephard we get Curtis Modkins, I mean Rick Dennison!

One has to ask why the only PATTERN i see in Buffalo is the same cheap circus marketing gimmicks and tricks. Where are the football people? Can we put some adults in charge?

Wood and Williams are back because those are the kind of leaders they are building around. Wood's extension is market value. Tyron is way belie market value and hardly a pr move, in fact precisely a Bill B move getting a starter to come back for half the money he was supposed to earn.

Jeff is kinda right. The Bills appear to be a rudder less ship with no direction. Maybe we'll all see the light at some point but nothing at one bills drive is making sense right now.

I don't think he's right, but the last 15 years or so certainly provide ample justification for his conclusions.

Bottom line is that until they prove otherwise, the Bills have earned the presumption of incompetence. 

Signing Wood is a PR move?

Yeesh. If that's someone's idea of a PR move, they need to be terminated themselves.

I'm much more of a mind with t-web: Wood and Kyle are the sorts of players that McDermott wants other players to emulate. So they've been re-signed/extended. I can't get into a lather over that.

jeff is also correct, though: It is unlikely that the Patriots would be extending Wood at this stage. Then again: We are not the Patriots. For a lot of reasons.

And I agree, inky: The Bills are adrift a bit. But that may be, in essence, part of the plan for this season. It'll take some time to churn the roster (yet again).

Also: I've just about lost hope that they'll move McCoy for picks.

Edited by That Aud Smell