The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

In the wee hours of the morning we said goodbye to Winston, our dog of 14 years.  He was truly the best dog.  He'd been losing mobility for most of the year and as of yesterday morning could not get up without help.  He also barely touched his breakfast.  By dinnertime he could no longer stand at all, even with help, and refused food and water.  I've seen that before; it's a clear sign they're ready to cross over.  My son slept on the floor with him; he said Winston got restless at about midnight he sat up and put Winston's head in his lap which calmed him down.  Shortly after that my son noticed Winston had stopped breathing.

The last picture I have of Winston before he passed:

image.thumb.png.5115a34aec41f4408c7c89c0528adc2d.png

And to brighten up an otherwise dire post, here he is in better days doing zoomies on the sofa.

I'll miss you Winston.  You were the best dog ever.

• Sad 6

53 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

In the wee hours of the morning we said goodbye to Winston, our dog of 14 years.  He was truly the best dog.  He'd been losing mobility for most of the year and as of yesterday morning could not get up without help.  He also barely touched his breakfast.  By dinnertime he could no longer stand at all, even with help, and refused food and water.  I've seen that before; it's a clear sign they're ready to cross over.  My son slept on the floor with him; he said Winston got restless at about midnight he sat up and put Winston's head in his lap which calmed him down.  Shortly after that my son noticed Winston had stopped breathing.

And to brighten up an otherwise dire post, here he is in better days doing zoomies on the sofa.

My condolences for your loss.  Glad you were spared having to put him down.  Never easy losing a pet.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

We had neighbors who had an aging dog. They had asked us how they would know when it was time and we told them, you just know. They moved away about a year ago and they texted us to let us know that they "knew" and had to say goodbye.

We went through it... it sucks.

My condolences. I love dogs and as I've said on here, I love them more than most people. Dogs are incredible. I'm glad you 14 years to spend with him. May he always brighten your day when you think of him.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

It was a beautiful end to a beautiful life. I am glad he got to stay at home. God bless you and yours and of course Winston. May the Rainbow Bridge await. He'll zoom from one end to meet you in an instant.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It was a beautiful end to a beautiful life. I am glad he got to stay at home. God bless you and yours and of course Winston. May the Rainbow Bridge await. He'll zoom from one end to meet you in an instant.

Awwww...

happy tonight show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Just when I think I have you figured out you show me your big softy side.  Thanks, PA, and everyone else for the condolences.  This was the best dog we ever had.

16 hours ago, Doohickie said:

So sorry for your loss.

It’s never easy, but it’s better when they pass at home.

• Like (+1) 1