The even randomer thread

Stoner

In the wee hours of the morning we said goodbye to Winston, our dog of 14 years.  He was truly the best dog.  He'd been losing mobility for most of the year and as of yesterday morning could not get up without help.  He also barely touched his breakfast.  By dinnertime he could no longer stand at all, even with help, and refused food and water.  I've seen that before; it's a clear sign they're ready to cross over.  My son slept on the floor with him; he said Winston got restless at about midnight he sat up and put Winston's head in his lap which calmed him down.  Shortly after that my son noticed Winston had stopped breathing.

The last picture I have of Winston before he passed:

image.thumb.png.5115a34aec41f4408c7c89c0528adc2d.png

And to brighten up an otherwise dire post, here he is in better days doing zoomies on the sofa.

I'll miss you Winston.  You were the best dog ever.

Edited by Doohicksie
  • Sad 7

53 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

In the wee hours of the morning we said goodbye to Winston, our dog of 14 years.  He was truly the best dog.  He'd been losing mobility for most of the year and as of yesterday morning could not get up without help.  He also barely touched his breakfast.  By dinnertime he could no longer stand at all, even with help, and refused food and water.  I've seen that before; it's a clear sign they're ready to cross over.  My son slept on the floor with him; he said Winston got restless at about midnight he sat up and put Winston's head in his lap which calmed him down.  Shortly after that my son noticed Winston had stopped breathing.

And to brighten up an otherwise dire post, here he is in better days doing zoomies on the sofa.

My condolences for your loss.  Glad you were spared having to put him down.  Never easy losing a pet.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

We had neighbors who had an aging dog. They had asked us how they would know when it was time and we told them, you just know. They moved away about a year ago and they texted us to let us know that they "knew" and had to say goodbye.

We went through it... it sucks.

My condolences. I love dogs and as I've said on here, I love them more than most people. Dogs are incredible. I'm glad you 14 years to spend with him. May he always brighten your day when you think of him.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

It was a beautiful end to a beautiful life. I am glad he got to stay at home. God bless you and yours and of course Winston. May the Rainbow Bridge await. He'll zoom from one end to meet you in an instant.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It was a beautiful end to a beautiful life. I am glad he got to stay at home. God bless you and yours and of course Winston. May the Rainbow Bridge await. He'll zoom from one end to meet you in an instant.

Awwww...

happy tonight show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Just when I think I have you figured out you show me your big softy side.  Thanks, PA, and everyone else for the condolences.  This was the best dog we ever had.

16 hours ago, Doohickie said:

So sorry for your loss.

It’s never easy, but it’s better when they pass at home.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I was running late this morning. The freeway was slowing down so I hopped off to take the surface streets. I got off the freeway a little earlier than I typically do. Most of the roads in the area have a 40 mph speed limit, but the one I got on is 35. I was doing about 45 when I noticed a cop car stopped at a side street 😮 and of course his lights came on and he pulled out behind me. There was another car behind me also. When the cop pulled out behind us, the other car got in the left turn lane and the cop followed him. The light was red at that intersection and I just stayed there, expecting the cop to get on his PA and pull me over too. When our lanes got the green light, the other car and the cop turned left and I continued straight.

Jurassic Park Wow GIF by Spotify

When I first noticed the other car it was gaining on me so he must have been just over the cop's threshold for pulling someone over, and I just under. I guess.

In other news, this is the day my little Fiat hit BOOBS miles.

image.thumb.png.f391ef98cc31a109299f5cab81529167.png

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The new scheming I was told by a financial advisor is that you're going to be punished for good credit.... I can't make sense of it all. Too complex 

But punished how?  Like continually getting marketing offers to use that great credit rating on a personal loan?  

I'm not sure how having great credit is a punishment... at least not in the way of impacting actual financial circumstances. 

7 hours ago, LTS said:

But punished how?  Like continually getting marketing offers to use that great credit rating on a personal loan?  

I'm not sure how having great credit is a punishment... at least not in the way of impacting actual financial circumstances. 

I don't have the specifics, but apparently if you have better credit then you will actually be getting charged at a higher rate, apparently those with credit 600-650 will obtain the best rate. It's def politically motivated, but again I haven't looked into it, just was told this from a trusted financial person. 

3 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I don't have the specifics, but apparently if you have better credit then you will actually be getting charged at a higher rate, apparently those with credit 600-650 will obtain the best rate. It's def politically motivated, but again I haven't looked into it, just was told this from a trusted financial person. 

Not quite.  Specific to Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac programs, fees are lower for folks with lower credits scores, not the rates.

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Ah, maybe that makes sense. I have a hard enough time keeping track of my write offs for my 1099 

Def don’t trust that trusted financial guy.  His information appears……. Slanted.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Def don’t trust that trusted financial guy.  His information appears……. Slanted.

Good to know, good thing he's not my advisor, just someone I know. I thought about going for my MBA, I'm pretty amateur with this stuff; however, the thought of any more schooling makes me want to stick a chopstick in my eye. 

Kim Pegula's widely known backstory is that she was abandoned by her birth parents as a baby (or toddler, depending on which account you read), left on the streets of Seoul (or left in front of a police station, depending on which account you read), sent to a Korean orphanage, and then adopted by the Kerrs when she was 5 years old.

Prior to her debilitating medical event, Kim said in interviews that she has no memories of her life prior to coming to the United States (although she also expressed confidence that there was nothing traumatic about her life in South Korea).

This new AP report raises all kinds of questions regarding the west's history of arranging foreign-born adoptions from South Korea. I mean: Holy sh1tballs.

https://apnews.com/article/south-korean-adoptions-investigation-united-states-europe-67d6bb03fddede7dcca199c2e3cd486e#

On 9/18/2024 at 11:15 PM, Doohickie said:

a cop car stopped at a side street 😮 and of course his lights came on and he pulled out behind me.

So glad he didn't pull me over.  My wife never gave me the latest insurance card; the old one expired last week 😮 

I also noticed my drivers license is about to expire.  I was lucky; I was able to renew and get a temporary license online.

Texas is funny in that every other time they make you go in person (which means setting an appointment several months out).  My son is in limbo right now because of that; his license expired in July.  But with the Real ID requirements, you have to have your birth certificate or a current passport, a note from your mom, a tail hair from a unicorn and two exactly identical sand particles.  My son couldn't find his birth cert and doesn't hold a current passport, so he couldn't get his license renewed at the appointment he made.  He's waiting for his birth cert from Los Angeles (where he was born) and has to go again after it comes in.

On 9/19/2024 at 8:26 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Love to know more if you dig in, but my experience is not in rate.  People who have high credit scores are targets for all kinds of offers. Financial institutions make money by having your money in their control.  Whether that's your savings, your investment portfolio, or your obligation to pay debt over time. It's why lower credit scores get higher interest rates.  Those rates off-set the default risk.

On 9/19/2024 at 8:30 PM, Weave said:

Not quite.  Specific to Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac programs, fees are lower for folks with lower credits scores, not the rates.

Ooof.  Those two institutions are, in my opinion, some of the scourges of the financial industry. They are not direct lenders but instead buy loans from other leanders and then turn them into securities. It's all secondary mortgage marketing and really gets into the weeds of financial management.

Lower fees, higher rates. It's all a trap to get people into a debt cycle. 

Naturally the ideal situation is to never carry debt.  However, if you were to carry no debt and only pay cash for everything your credit score would most likely go down. Why? Because financial institutions no longer have leverage over you.  No auto loan or mortgage? No chance to miss a payment. Use your debit card instead of a credit card?  No good. No chance you miss a payment.  But if you charge everything and still pay it off each month to avoid a finance charge that's a plus, because there's at least a chance you'll miss a payment, or not pay your balance in full and then the credit companies make money!

It's a real treat.

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/19/2024 at 8:30 PM, Weave said:

Mortgage is my industry.  Mortgage pricing (specifically conventional Fannie/Freddie mortgages) still favor higher FICO scores for net pricing.  

When pricing a mortgage, you have a base rate. Let’s say 6.00% and no points.  That’s gross pricing. From there, you will then apply the conforming (fancy way to say conventional) pricing adjustments to get a net pricing. 

Let’s roll with a purchase loan as the example and you apply for a 30 year fixed loan. The biggest adjustment (add-on) to cost is your combination of FICO & loan to value (LTV).  I’ll use 25% down (75 LTV) as our test case. 

75 LTV & 780 FICO, the additional points charge is 0.00 points. Nada. Net pricing is  6.00% rate and 0 points.

75 LTV & 720 FICO, the additional points charge is .750 points.  Net pricing is 6.00% rate  and .750 points.  For a reader who might not know, this means an additional charge of .750% of your loan amount. For a 100,000 loan, this corresponds to $750 in extra closing cost. 

75 LTV & 660 FICO, the additional points charge is 1.375 points.  For a 100,000 loan, this corresponds to $1,375 in extra closing cost.  

The above is an overly simplistic example of pricing, but long story short…A higher FICO will always mean cheaper cost. That’s across the board for all loan programs (FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, etc).  

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Ooof.  Those two institutions are, in my opinion, some of the scourges of the financial industry. They are not direct lenders but instead buy loans from other leanders and then turn them into securities. It's all secondary mortgage marketing and really gets into the weeds of financial management.

I’m not in any way disagreeing with anything you said. Specific to the agencies, you’re 100% correct. However, I want to provide context as to why Fannie & Freddie exist. There are two reasons why a bank (or credit union) would prefer to hand out Fannie/Freddie money instead of their own. 

1) Liquidity.  This is oversimplifying, but there are stress tests for lenders. The example I would give is that a bank would need to have a dollar on deposit for every dollar they lend out. That is not the actual stress test, but it is a common sense approach. They have to stay solvent.  
So, what happens when the bank lends out all their available funds? They stop lending.  The consumer demand for mortgages far outweighs the money banks have to lend.  So they utilize Fannie/Freddie’s funds to support consumer lending needs.  That’s why they exist today. 

2) If the lender conforms to Fannie/Freddie’s qualification guidelines, Fannie/Freddie will help offset the bank’s losses if a loan goes bad. And why wouldn’t a lender want that? So we use them for a good reason.  

I won’t get into the financial crisis and the Fed bailout of these agencies which contribute to your opinion, but they serve a valuable purpose for borrowers and lenders. Just like FHA, VA, USDA, and state housing initiatives (including SONYMA in NY).